Press Release:– On February 28, 2021 the Ministry of Health received confirmation from the Ezra Long Laboratory of 105 positive COVID-19 tests results for inmates at the Bordelais Correctional Facility.
The Ministry of Health also received 19 negative test results for 17 inmates and 2
This was from a testing activity for the Bordelais Correctional Facility staff and inmates which was conducted on February 23, 2021.
These newly confirmed cases from the correctional facility were part of the batch of 155
confirmed cases reported by the Ministry of Health on Monday March 1, 2021.
The Ministry of Health has given the following recommendations and undertaken the necessary actions:
1. Testing through the use of rapid antigen testing for the COVID-19 screening for inmates and correctional facility staff.
2. The separation of inmates based on the results of their COVID-19 antigen tests
2.1. Isolation of inmates with a positive test results from the general inmate population.
2.2. The quarantining of inmates with a negative test result but who have been exposed to a positive case.
3. Clinical assessments of the inmates confirmed as with COVID-19 by the medical team to
determine the interventions for care that they require.
4. The vaccination of inmates and custodial staff at the Bordelais Correctional Facility with the COVID-19 vaccine to reduce level of transmission of the virus within the institution.
5. The enforcement of strict infection prevention and control measures to decrease the rate of transmission of the disease which include:
5.1. Limiting the number of areas where inmates gather
5.2. Staggering the recreational breaks for the inmates based on their COVID-19 status
5.3. Protecting the more vulnerable inmates who are higher risk of complications of COVID-19 exposure and infection
5.4. Use of adequate and appropriate personal protective equipment within the institution by heath care staff and custodial staff
5.5. Limiting the movement and interaction of custodial staff overseeing specific areas with
5.6. Promotion of frequent hand hygiene
5.7. Continued use of face masks by both staff and inmates
5.8. Repeated sanitizing of objects and surfaces that are frequently touched
5.9. Ensuring that all staff with respiratory symptoms are tested and placed in quarantine
The Ministry of Health continues to monitor the situation at the Bordelais Correctional Facility and will provide the necessary support for successful resolution of the outbreak within the institution.