Wednesday, August 17, 2022

12 Homeless In Guyana After Fire Caused By Lighted Candle

- Advertisement -

Guyana Chronicle:- TWELVE persons, including children, are now homeless after a fire destroyed their Cross Street, Werk-En-Rust home on Thursday evening.

A statement from the fire department said the structure was a two-storey wooden apartment building owned by 74-year-old Jone Bowman, who occupied the top floor along with three others.

The bottom storey consisted of two apartments occupied by eight persons. The building is located behind Ashmin’s Trading on High Street, but accessible only from Cross Street.

“The purported cause of the fire is said to be a lighted candle left unattended which fell and ignited nearby combustible materials,” the fire department said.

- Advertisement -

The department is calling for home and property owners to be cautious when using lamps, candles, mosquito coils, lighters and matches.

“Ensure these items are placed a safe distance away from combustible materials and out of the reach of children at all times,” the statement said.

The fire department also renewed its call for fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.

- Advertisement -
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Our Editorial Staff at St. Lucia Times is a team publishing news and other articles to over 200,000 regular monthly readers in Saint Lucia and in over 150 other countries worldwide.

TRENDING

Subscribe to our St. Lucia Times Newsletter

Get our headlines emailed to you every day.

spot_img
Send this to a friend