“Disappointed Tourist” claims Castries is a real mess

“Disappointed Tourist” claims Castries is a real mess

An individual who describes herself as a disappointed tourist, claims to have written to Tourism Minister, Lorne Theophilus, complaining about the state of this country’s tourism.

“ I have been to St Lucia over 3 times now as I have family there, and I must tell you how
disappointed I am at the state of your beaches & lack of facilities. As well as the state of Castries,” the writer, who identifies as Anita Samuel said.

The writer raised questions about the absence of public washrooms, showers and lifeguards at public beaches.

Wrote the individual:

“So then if I have to use the toilet, I must go in the bushes?”

According to the email, a copy of which was sent to the Times, the Writer and her husband actually had to save a girl who was drifting on her floatie device.

The email described Castries as a “real mess”

“ Jeremie street for example, looks like a 19th century old run down dirty city. Do you really think people coming off a ship walking in town would be impressed? There are rats running the street, and your pavement and walkways are atrocious. If you don’t watch your step, you could seriously injure your foot or leg in the many holes & uneven pavement. And I have seen many people fall or injure their legs, “ the Writer said.

“I have been to several Caribbean countries such as Barbados, Antigua, Jamaica and Mexico,
and St Lucia has to be the worst,” the email asserted, claiming that Tourism Minister, Lorne Theophilus, had been sent the original email on June 28, 2015 and three times subsequently.

According to Writer, the email had also been sent to all the Ministers of government with no response.

“This is a big indicator of how none of the government members care about St Lucia,” the Writer concluded.
The Times was unsuccessful in its attempts to reach the Minister of Tourism for comment.

1. Tourismenthusiast
    September 25, 2015 at 10:55 pm Reply

I have been saying the same thing for some time now, we say that tourism is the main income earner in this country but when I walk around, I see very little that will actually make the tourist want to disembark a ship. The craft market, not impressed, the sidewalks/walkways a real disaster. Please let us stat taking a real interest in our tourism product and let’s develop it to international standards, make it magazine worthy at least.

1. Nice
      September 26, 2015 at 5:17 am Reply

I don’t really think the authorities care. I don’t even think they ever travel to the city to see how ugly, unsightly and old Castries looks.

I am ashamed of Castries.

2. The Crow
    September 26, 2015 at 2:02 am Reply

Nothing in this item tells me that this person is a visiting tourist. This is just a Lucian who has lived outside for a short while and is a UWP supporter who wants to make the government look bad.

September 26, 2015 at 11:43 am Reply

Well said love

September 26, 2015 at 12:13 pm Reply

Typical of the people here. Don’t address the issue and blame party politics. I look at this comment from The crow and SMH.

3. Nice
      September 26, 2015 at 12:34 pm Reply

So, how someone stating the truth about Castries is someone linked to UWP?
      I Voted and supported the SLP in the last general election. And I can confirm to you and anyone with good sense and has PRIDE in this country that CASTRIES is a DUMP!

I have been lamenting this for a long-time now.

The CDC buildings on Jeremy Street need to be torn down and rebuilt into a more modern structure. Also the drunks and loiterers must be chased out of Jeremy Street.

I try to avoid Castries as much as possible.

I long to see the day when Castries will look like a city and NOT Rodney Bay.

1. Peter
        November 15, 2015 at 9:22 am Reply

Absolutely agree. Castries IS horrible and dirty place. Gives me shivers if I have to go there and trying to avoid it at all costs. I am not St. Lucian and don’t support any of your political parties.

2. mr pappyshow
        January 2, 2016 at 9:54 pm Reply

when has castries not been a dump

September 26, 2015 at 5:35 pm Reply

I agree with u 100%

September 26, 2015 at 6:02 pm Reply

Indeed. And again say it

September 27, 2015 at 4:15 am Reply

Are you absolutely nuts, blind and completely delusional?

September 26, 2015 at 2:12 am Reply

The crow. Seriously what does it matter it’s all fact. The only thing missing is the everyday chain grabbing and harassment by vagrants. When all you can see is red and yellow it’s very sad.

4. defiant
    September 26, 2015 at 2:13 am Reply

5. lucianmy@$$
    September 26, 2015 at 2:40 am Reply

The crow…for your information this st lucian has probably never left st lucian shores and is just up to mischief.

Won’t be surprised if its not Chastanet or the poodle whose up to no good!

September 26, 2015 at 6:04 pm Reply

This is so true

6. Smh
    September 26, 2015 at 3:06 am Reply

The sad thing about all of this is that, we seem always to be concerned about tearing down the party we dislike or defend the party we support and fail to realise that we need things done in this country. Whether the person is genuine or not, my concern is my country. Some sidewalks need to be fixed and are a hazard to tourists and citizens alike. Our city needs to be further developed. For so long, we can’t have a proper bus terminal for example. I don’t care who is seating in government, I want a better Saint Lucia. Unless we change all this, I will continue to believe that the only thing that needs fixing is us

7. Anon
    September 26, 2015 at 4:16 am Reply

You want toilets on the beaches? Stay in your damn country tun.

1. Anonstinks
      October 8, 2015 at 1:53 pm Reply

If they did, this country would be even poorer than it is now. Your the type of person who is bringing this country down.

2. Peter
      November 15, 2015 at 9:23 am Reply

You are just an idiot

8. Nice
    September 26, 2015 at 5:12 am Reply

As a St.Lucian, I am indeed very ashamed and disapointed of Castries. The whole ambience of the city is dilapidated, ugly and old.
    It’s like no one in Government cares about the unsightly and ancient looking face of Castries. It’s almost like members of government so not work in Castries to even understand or see this. Have they no SHAME OR PRIDE in themselves to understand the bad image of this depressing old so called city and wanting to build a more modern city?

I have had friends and in particular my wife who visited me a few years ago, who said the same thing to me, to my embarrassment. And she was very correct.

I try to avoid Castries as much as possible. It’s very unsightly.

But once again I am disappointed even more in the government of SLU, who refuses to see or understand that they need to rebuild Castries into a modern city.

It’s disgusting!

September 26, 2015 at 10:48 am Reply

Hey writer u do have a point a point about the beaches not having public bathroom etc. And life guard. However if u see the need for change . Better development and infurstructor …..u can begin by making the difference……rather than lashing the poor man ….we need to start working and stop taking ….

10. Tamica
    September 26, 2015 at 12:33 pm Reply

Saint Lucia is a garbage pit! There needs to be a law and a fine for anyone throwing their trash in the streets! That is how other countries handle the problem. People will not stop throwing their discussing vile trash in the streets and all over our once prestigous beaches until they feel the painful consequences in their pockets! Smh Some make a petition for a law- I will be the first to sign. Force Change to Save our country!

September 26, 2015 at 4:15 pm Reply

everything written in this email is 100% accurate. i have had many incidents because of the state of the sidewalks. imagine i had to leave work on one rainy day to go get my daughter who was trapped in town because streets were flooded, again lack of proper drainage. UWP or SLP i still concur that this is a major issue which needs to be addressed. i work in the hotel so i can tell you for sure the Tourists aren’t impressed, instead of coming back from Castries feeling excited they come back feeling pity for the people because of how poor and rundown it looks. unfortunately this email will not go far and will continuously be ignored by the pertinent persons, but cu dos to you for trying.

12. Positive
    September 26, 2015 at 6:04 pm Reply

Look at Castries as your house. Would you accept that condition or make something better out of it. Put aside colours and balance the statement. All what was said is truth not picking but pointing out what can be seen by All eyes. Let us work towards improvement for our country, betterment for our people and increase value to our nation. Together everyone will have a healtier smile when they hear the name St. Lucia. We pay taxes to fix our country`s infrastructure and this is all part of it. GOSL make the repairs to our infrastructure.

13. Smh
    September 27, 2015 at 5:47 am Reply

First of all, I will say that I believe the beaches on the island do need lifeguards, other than that I believe it is high time we stop looking down on what we have, that same person complaining will go to NY and bypass the rats and nastiness of the street because he/she is in the greatest city there is. I am not saying Castries does not need a revamp but how about we do something more than complain, how about the st.lucians living abroad who can afford it contribute to their country growth and development. But most of those who leave and are doing well have forgotten the island until it is time to rep for something like labor day for example, then they will come back and talk about deplorable conditions….come on

14. Living in Castries
    September 28, 2015 at 1:41 am Reply

Zordi and more zordi in Castries.My brothers and sisters stop politicising everything. I work on the cruise ship and I must wear a name tag and the country i am from is also on that name tag. Do you know how many times guest come to me and say St.Lucia is beautiful but the city is filthy. They complain about the side walks. The stench by the market area and most of all the amount of garbage they see about the place. Trust me I have been to one of the most cleanest place in the world which is Slovenia and believe me we need to take a page from other countries. It is about time we have some national pride. So stop the politiking and let us help to keep Castries clean and beautiful.

15. lucian
    September 30, 2015 at 1:50 am Reply

Carries need to clean up take out these old c dc and build better building .ake their look like a real city build better drains and better side walk take the people out of the c dc and put them in better homes

16. loco
    September 30, 2015 at 2:57 pm Reply

And the cost of doing all of these changes are, how much again.

September 30, 2015 at 6:56 pm Reply

I agree with the complainer. I have been to St-Lucia 3 times. First to Castrie on a cruise ship. I left the Market Area to go back to the ship wondering what do you do with the money the cruise company is supposedly paying the Port Authority. The last 2 times we went to Pigeon Island for the day and spent a big 0$. Taxi drivers drives too fast also.

17. lucian dna
    October 4, 2015 at 3:22 pm Reply

Hi everyone, firstly I also have family in st lucia, my mother migrated to the uk in 1960 with my grandmother when she was 10 yrs old…done schooling, got married and birthed me in the uk making me black british I feel the need to explain due to the ignorance of some people including polititicians who are supposed to be responsible for these issues which people (residents/returnees/tourists/overseas media are talking loudly about, its constructive criticism but they are not listening. Secondly i am non political even at home in the uk but I also know the difference between right & wrong. The states of the pavement & guttering system in Castries is wrong! Not having public toilets/showers on a public beach is wrong! The only time these facilities are available to me is when I stay at a beach hotel because when I stay with family visiting the beach is off putting. You cannot treat tourists with more respect than your own citizens, we are all humans! The pavements in Rodney bay are better than in the capital. I remember saying to another british tourist in a wheelchair that she was brave coming into town. She explained that she could not come to st lucia and not visit Castries, her leaving comment which stung the lucian part of me was “It wasn’t worth the effort the pavements and gutters are terrible & dangerous. Where is the backbone of these people and the balls of the government who must see this but don’t fight for justice, what do they pay taxes for?” It is wrong for the commenter who stated that people like my family who took the gamble to live and work abroad and now have a family, housing and bills of their own to pay for including taxes to help keep our own streets clean, roads and pavements safe to drive anf walk on to “stop complaining and put our hand in our pocket” well we do inadvertently when we return and pay taxes to the st lucian government when we buy products, eat in restaurants etc…I say personally to those people who agree with these comments to go and set up life abroad….the grass is not always greener and you can only be responsible for your life but not in two different worlds unless your a millionaire. At the end of the day you have to be responsible for where you live and conciously rather than critisize or ignore the relevant facts, tourism brings revenue, it is wise to listen and act. St lucia and being part “looshan” is in my DNA and I am lucky to know both worlds thanks to my ancestors & visiting back and forth every year so I’m not about putting this beautiful island down, its about uplifting and empowerment and realising that it is these issues which spoil the “unspoilt helen of the west!”

18. someone
    October 5, 2015 at 10:40 pm Reply

Really the crow? Why don’t you stop looking at colours so you could get a clearer vision of the facts. Some of you behave as though Kenny put a spell on you’ll.

19. someone
    October 5, 2015 at 10:50 pm Reply

Some Looshans have no pride in their country. I saw a three year old with her father in town. She threw a wrapper on the side walk. I said ‘oh no my girl.’. The father told her leave it there and started cursing me up. We will have a worse than today future generation. Train up your child in the way he/she should go and when he/she is old he/she will not depart from it. The Bible.

20. DC
    October 9, 2015 at 10:22 am Reply

Having visited “My Fair Helen” numerous times since the early 90’s, I am appalled at the state of conditions on the island. Need you have to look at St. Vincent, St. Kitts, St. Croix, St. Thomas or Puerto Rico? They have all lost tourism, cruise ships and hotel bookings. Once it goes, you will have NO MONEY to clean it up and even try to get it back. Wake Up or Lose It All!! We don’t care whose fault it is, pointing fingers and blaming accomplishes NOTHING! Just work together and CLEAN IT UP!

1. D. Griff
      October 9, 2015 at 10:28 am Reply

If the ministers on the island think people outside of St. Lucia don’t read what is going on there online,they are sadly mistaken. I read where the Tourism minister doesn’t think it’s bad, but the SL Times is covered in crime stories. Not to mention Cruise ship blogs from passengers complain about the same things. What is this, close your eyes and deny?

21. shem
    October 12, 2015 at 7:20 pm Reply

Yes Castries does need attention real bad cause I said the same thing in my two visits this year. We all know that and it’s going to take money to make Castries a better place and to keep it clean but we can’t put the blame on the government for how dirty Castries when most Lucian’s drop their trash on the ground or the drains. We the people of St. Lucia need to take care of our country and teach the young one to do the same. We know the government will not want to put the money into rebuilding Castries cause it’s going to take money out of their pockets. This year on my visit to St. Lucia I watched my uncle drop his egg shells from the balcony of the cdc so I told him that he should put it in the trash instead and his response to that was that’s why he pay taxes and the government is responsible for cleaning the street. Most ignorant shit I’ve ever heard. Castries have rats so what the hell? Have you been to the NEW York subways and walk around Manhattan and Brooklyn? Rats all over so to bash our country over rats and unleveled sides walks make you look stupid. If it’s that bad then why you keep going back. I have lived in many states and I see the complaints in every state I’ve lived but Washington.
    My mother always taught my siblings and I to put our trash/rubbish where it belongs and not on the ground. Yes we need more trashcans and public around the city and yes the buildings need to be painted especially the cdc building that hurt the image of Castries. You put the restrooms up and these ungrateful Lucian’s will just trash them and then it takes money to keep fixing them. We need to so we appreciate shit first and then improvement will come. Anyways I get your complaint but don’t bash our country when it’s happening where you live so look around you OK. The government is not always the problem

1. shem
      October 12, 2015 at 7:26 pm Reply

I did not proof read so sorry for the mistakes. Where I said public should have been public restrooms and I meant to say we need to show we appreciate shit.

January 25, 2016 at 6:40 am Reply

Anytime I visit my island home of St. Lucia…..I do avoid the decay of Castries at all cost.

23. sean d'epagnier
    May 19, 2016 at 10:07 pm Reply

worst island in over 200 islands I visited.

In 2 days both times I tried very hard to help local people. First day I take some people sailing who never sailed before. They robbed me.

Next day I rescue a sailing dingy abandoned with no one on it and bring it back to the resort. The police think I stole it, they search my boat and they they steal things from me.