The Ministry of Health Via the National Mental Wellness Centre has organised a series of activities in recognition of World Mental Health Awareness Month held annually in the month of October. This mental health campaign centres around World Mental Health Day on October 10th under the theme “Value your mind.”
Some the activities organized for the month are:
- An all day fair on the grounds of the Sir Arthur Lewis Community College on October 9th
- A Fair and exhibition at the National Mental Wellness Centre (SLNMWC), October 13th to 15th
- A fun walk from SLNMWC to Tapion and back on October 18th
- A Live Panel Discussion at the Castries City Hall on October 22nd
- Kweyol lunch for patients of SLNMWC on October 29th
- A School March within the City of Castries ending at the Derek Walcott Square on October 30th.
An audio jingle conceptualized by the planning committee for Mental Health Awareness Month, penned and sang by Mr. Ezi Hall with sponsorship by the St. Lucia Teachers Union will be used throughout the month of October and beyond to generate the awareness and sensitivity towards persons directly or indirectly affected by some form of mental illness.
The committee has also planned to utilize the services of print, electronic and social media to promote greater awareness of mental health during the month of October.