2 dead, 7 arrested in raid targeting Paris attack mastermind

2 dead, 7 arrested in raid targeting Paris attack mastermind

SAINT-DENIS, France (AP) — A woman wearing an explosive suicide vest blew herself up Wednesday as heavily armed police tried to storm a suburban Paris apartment where the suspected mastermind of last week’s gun and bomb rampage was believed to be holed up, police said.

Related Stories

The Latest: Police dog killed in Paris siege on suspects Associated Press
Gunshots rattle Paris suburb, police raid targets suspected attack mastermind Reuters
‘Two jihadists’ killed, two arrests in north Paris shootout AFP
A look at presumed Paris mastermind targeted in police raid Associated Press
French police arrests five people after northern Paris raid Reuters
They said one man was also killed and seven people arrested in the standoff, which began before dawn and continued more than six hours later, when a loud bang rang out around the streets near the apartment building.

Police said one person was thought to be still inside the apartment, but it wasn’t clear who.

A senior police official said he believed Abdelhamid Abaaoud, a Belgian Islamic State militant, was inside the apartment in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis with five other heavily armed people when the raid started.

The official, who was not authorized to be publicly named according to police rules but is informed routinely about the operation, said scores of police stormed the building and were met with unexpectedly violent resistance.

Another police official not authorized to be publicly named because of police rules said four police officers were injured. No hostages were being held.

View galleryHooded police officers detain a man in Saint-Denis, …
Hooded police officers detain a man in Saint-Denis, near Paris, Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2015. A woman we …
The Paris prosecutor’s office said SWAT teams arrested three people in the apartment. It said they haven’t been identified yet.

Another man and woman were detained nearby, the office said in a statement.

French President Francois Hollande held an emergency meeting with senior ministers at the Elysee Palace to monitor the raid.

Residents said an explosion shook the neighborhood shortly after 4 a.m. (0300GMT).

“We guessed it was linked to Friday night,” said Yves Steux, barman at L’escargot restaurant 250 meters (yards) from the assault.”My wife panicked and was scared and told me not to leave, but I ignored her. Life goes on.”

Baptiste Marie, a 26-year-old independent journalist who lives in the neighborhood, said a second large explosion was followed by “two more explosions. There was an hour of gunfire.”

Another witness, Amine Guizani, said he heard the sound of grenades and automatic gunfire.

“It was continuous. It didn’t stop,” he said. “It lasted from 4:20 until 5:30. It was a good hour. I couldn’t say how many shots were fired, but it was probably 500. Hundreds, definitely. There were maybe 10 explosions.”

Sporadic bangs and explosions continued, and at 7:30 a.m. (0630GMT) at least seven explosions shook the center of Saint-Denis. Associated Press reporters at the scene could hear what sounded like grenade blasts from the direction of the standoff.

Investigators have identified 27-year-old Abaaoud, a Belgian of Moroccan descent, as the chief architect of Friday’s attacks in Paris, which killed 129 people and injured 350 others.

A U.S. official briefed on intelligence matters said Abaaoud was a key figure in an Islamic State external operations cell that U.S. intelligence agencies have been tracking for many months.

Police vans and fire trucks rushed to the scene north of Paris, less than two kilometers (just over a mile) from the Stade de France stadium. Three suicide bombers blew themselves up Friday near the stadium during an international soccer match with French President Francois Hollande in attendance.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/explosions-gunfire-paris-police-raid-063034320.html?nf=1

Related Articles

Leave a Reply