“Know Your Laws” is a production of the Press Office of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force.
(CRIMINAL CODE OF ST. LUCIA 2008)
(1) A person commits the offence of libel who, by print, writing, painting, effigy, or by any means otherwise than solely by gestures, spoken words, or other sounds, unlawfully publishes any defamatory matter concerning another person, whether living or dead, either negligently or with intent to defame that other person.
(2) In the case of a dead person, it must be alleged and proved that it was done with intent to bring contempt on his or her family and relatives and so provoke them to a breach of the peace.
314. DEFAMATORY MATTER DEFINED
(1) A person is defamed if matter is imputed to him or her who amounts to a crime, or which imputes to him or her misconduct in any public office, or which is likely to injure him or her in his or her occupation, calling, or office, or to expose him or her to general hatred, contempt or ridicule.
(2) In this section “crime” means any offence punishable on indictment under this Code, and any act punishable on indictment under any enactment within the jurisdiction of the Courts, and also any act, whosesoever committed, which, if committed by a person within the jurisdiction of the Courts, would be punishable on indictment under any enactment.
327. PENALTY FOR INTENTIONAL LIBEL
A person who is convicted of intentional libel is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for 5 years.
328. PENALTY FOR NEGLIGENT LIBEL
A person who is convicted of negligent libel is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for 2 years.
329. DEFAMING OR INSULTING THE CROWN
A person who, with intent to bring the Governor-General into hatred, contempt or ridicule, publishes any defamatory or insulting matter, whether by writing, print, word of mouth or in any other manner concerning the Governor General is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for 5 years.
“We, the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force would like to encourage the citizenry to read and study the laws which governs our society. Never forget that knowledge is power”.