Francis condemns unlawful search

Francis condemns unlawful search

Outspoken Attorney at Law, Mary Francis, has condemned an alleged illegal police search in the Marchand Boulevard.

“I saw the news item and am quite appalled because I wouldn’t think that at this stage in Saint Lucia such a thing would be happening,” Francis told the Times.

She was making reference to the incident on Monday of this week, in which the police went to the Marchand Boulevard as part of an investigation into an attack on a Rose Hill resident.

According to the Rose Hill man, he went to drop a passenger off in the community and when he was leaving found that his way had been blocked by huge stones.

The man had told the Times that in addition to attacking his vehicle with stones, the gang of criminals also beat him up and stole valuables from his car.

Francis asserted that the police ought to know that they have to obtain a search warrant to enter someone’s home.

She recalled that Saint Lucia is already in the spotlight as a result of human rights violations and felt that in such a situation law enforcers would be more careful.

“We are not a police state,” the Human Rights Activist declared, adding that Saint Lucia is a country that is governed by law.

She observed that the women who spoke out against the police actions reported that she was herself a former police officer with nineteen years of service and had now retired.

“I tend to believe what she said is true,” Francis told the Times.

According to the Attorney at Law, the actions the police have been accused of carrying out bring the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) and Saint Lucia into disrepute.

 

Related Articles

1 Comment

  1. Anonymous
    February 19, 2016 at 9:10 am Reply

    Such poor reporting by St Lucia Times. What is the action that is being condemned by Ms Francis. What is the search that was being conducted. Your story was a bunch of words with no subject.

Leave a Reply

Shares