Ben Carson to throw in the towel

Ben Carson to throw in the towel

Republican presidential hopeful Ben Carson has said he does not see a path forward after Super Tuesday’s results, effectively ending his campaign.

The former neurosurgeon said he would make an announcement on Friday about the future of his 2016 bid for the White House.

Mr Carson said he would not attend Thursday’s Republican debate hosted by Fox News in his hometown of Detroit.

“I do not see a path forward for my campaign in light of last evening’s Super Tuesday primary results,” he said in a statement.

“However, this grassroots movement on behalf of ‘We the People’ will continue.”

Though he did not suspend his campaign, his statement signals the death knell for a bid that once seemed filled with promise.

He was propelled to the lead in opinion polls last year only to steadily lose steam amid stumbles blamed on his political inexperience.

Mr Carson is due to speak at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington DC on Friday.

His withdrawal would leave four candidates vying to be the Republican nominee for November’s White House election.

Mr Carson’s statement comes as Republican leaders scramble to derail the momentum of their own front runner, Donald Trump.

The party fears the pugnacious 69-year-old billionaire would be an electoral liability in an expected match-up against Democratic contender Hillary Clinton.

Amid the prospect that the party of Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan could be led by a political newcomer who has called for Muslims to be banned from entering the US, some power brokers have even raised the option of forming a completely new party.

Republican leaders fear a Trump nomination could not only ruin their chances of recapturing the White House, but even cost them their control of Congress if undecided voters shun the party.


Leave a Reply