One Dead in Millennium Highway Accident

One Dead in Millennium Highway Accident

The Saint Lucia Fire Service this evening responded to a report of an accident on the Millennium Highway.

Eyewitnesses told the Times that a handicapped individual who frequently passes on the highway using his wheelchair as his mode of transportation was hit by a vehicle.

He was reportedly struck by a 13 seater Toyota bus (TX361).

The driver is reported to have indicated that he was traveling to Castries when the handicapped man in the wheelchair left the yellow line and came into his path.

He is reportedly dead.

The incident occurred shortly before 8:00pm this evening.

Toyota driver (pictured above)

1. Modeste Downes
    March 28, 2016 at 8:40 pm Reply

For a very long time this has been an accident waiting to happen.

1. Concern
      March 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm Reply

Veryy True …….His Insolence Caused His Death..Sad Too Sayy

2. chef henry
      March 28, 2016 at 10:42 pm Reply

Could not have said it better. My sympathy is with the driver not the victim. The blames lies solely with the law.

1. jon jon
        March 29, 2016 at 3:09 pm Reply

people need not be so cruel, especially as we do not know why he traveled so frequently.

March 29, 2016 at 7:11 am Reply

So very sad… but so true

2. Modeste Downes
    March 28, 2016 at 8:45 pm Reply

I’m confused: “One dead….”, yet the article concludes “The extent of his injury was not immediately clear”.

1. Tallboy
      March 28, 2016 at 8:57 pm Reply

Its an update to the story..

March 28, 2016 at 8:51 pm Reply

Why is the man photo up? I think he is traumatized enough about the ordeal. smh.

4. confused
    March 28, 2016 at 8:55 pm Reply

I don’t understand who died

March 28, 2016 at 9:38 pm Reply

The rasta man who usually travels on his wheelchair near the tunnels to Castries and back daily. He is from Ciceron and he has one leg.

5. Ronelle
    March 28, 2016 at 8:57 pm Reply

1. sweetie 6
      March 28, 2016 at 9:30 pm Reply

I’m wondering the same

March 28, 2016 at 10:18 pm Reply

Accident tht was waiting to happen.
        The guy use the hole Rd 4 him self.
        Smh sad

March 28, 2016 at 9:39 pm Reply

March 28, 2016 at 9:03 pm Reply

Ronnel it is

7. Rochel
    March 28, 2016 at 9:15 pm Reply

Was expecting that

March 29, 2016 at 6:12 am Reply

Don’t say that, he was still a human

8. ANON
    March 28, 2016 at 9:20 pm Reply

So very sad it had to be a great guy like like ahfwe driving. . this could have been any one else driving, this was an accident waiting to happen. I have encountered this wheel chair user on the millinium highway many times and had a few close calls, mostly in the day time , never thought he would attempt that stunt at night.

9. Reality!
    March 28, 2016 at 9:20 pm Reply

Why did it have to come to that. This guy on the wheel chair has caused a few accidents and scares as he moves daily on the highway. He needed to be stopped in order to save his life. This is what traffic police should be attending.

1. Mindofmyown
      March 28, 2016 at 9:48 pm Reply

What would you have the traffic officers do , detain him from moving about ? Be in the tunnels waiting for him ? Please , no one knows the time or the hour of their death . Stop looking to blame the easiest excape goat. It happened , it was sad and tragic we all should be more careful on the road both driver and pedestrian, anything and everything happens in a split second

March 28, 2016 at 9:22 pm Reply

I often observe this man on his wheelchair when driving on this route. I often said to myself that this man wants to die and when this happens he may put a good motorist in trouble. I am sure the driver of the vehicle is traumatized and I feel very sorry for him. This man in my mind wanted to end his life based on the manner I observed him rushing in the middle of the road when a vehicle is approaching.

March 28, 2016 at 9:31 pm Reply

We need to be more a where when we are on the streets remember people there are a lot of dont care drive out there so do what you have to do be aware of moving things and u drivers you people have to be aware too for the persons that is walking on the streets everyone is not perfect so we all have to play our part. !!? ??

1. Not so proud Lucian
      March 28, 2016 at 9:54 pm Reply

This wheel chair has no form of lights. who do you expect a driver to see a wheel chair in the dark? I suppose you are not a driver. you have never come across him in the night, even during the day it would be dangerous. He does have this wheel chair in the middle of the road. It is just sad that it had to come to that. I feel sorry for the driver

1. Lucifer
        March 29, 2016 at 8:14 pm Reply

No proud lucia i totally agree wit u i too also hit this man in the day bend my rim tryin to escape him wen the rd had holes cld u imagine when i stop to tell him in he shld b careful on tht highway u knw the man curse me off in tht moment i tld him he must die if he continues tht way and there is no one to b blamed bt himself no reflectors and u doin tht in the night come on u can’t blame the taxi driver u knw in the states england and any other country the taxi man wont not be charge bcuz the man on the wheelchair had no lites no reflective vest nun

March 28, 2016 at 9:33 pm Reply

Ruth E lamontagne need to be more a where when we are on the streets remember people there are a lot of dont care drive out there so do what you have to do be aware of moving things and u drivers you people have to be aware too for the persons that is walking on the streets everyone is not perfect so we all have to play our part. !!? ??

March 28, 2016 at 9:41 pm Reply

I understand what you are saying, but I have had a few close calls with him myself. he is very careless on the road and I have even asked myself if he probably wants to die. Almost everyday someone nearly hits him and thats during the day. So you could imagine how it could be at night.

2. anonymous
      March 29, 2016 at 6:28 am Reply

You actually put your name to that thing u wrote ? Smh.

March 28, 2016 at 10:06 pm Reply

I am residing in canada.when I saw the news I knew it was this guy because for a long time this man wanted to die in this manner . I hope the this driver will not get charged . Cause the traffic officers should have stopped him years ago . He was very careless . This is not an accident . This is call suicide

14. sigh
    March 28, 2016 at 10:10 pm Reply

A where? It’s aware

1. honeybunz
      March 29, 2016 at 8:45 am Reply

Lmao lol..stop it!

15. concerned citizen
    March 28, 2016 at 10:14 pm Reply

This man on the wheel chair was off the road the guy driving tx361 his vehicle went off the road an hit the guy plus he drunk plus he drop sleep

March 28, 2016 at 10:52 pm Reply

Guess you were there, or you were the wheelchair, left to tell the story. smh

16. Righteous Intentionz
    March 28, 2016 at 10:30 pm Reply

Lets not be judgemental here.. his only source of transport was a wheelchair. Yes he used the road instead of the sideway.. but why?? imagine how uncomfortable it may have been to roll in that rough sideway on a wheelchair… sad he had to go this way. May God rest his soul..

1. Righteous Intentionz
      March 29, 2016 at 10:13 am Reply

Maybe there may still be hope for the others we see along the other roads..

March 28, 2016 at 10:49 pm Reply

I’m sorry for the guy but there’s a lady in barboneau balata name O -joe this lady might be the next victim at any time she is a little mental she always on the road some times naked and some times with a dark dress. And always in the middle of the road. When you drive at night and an incoming vehicle with a high beam where in the world you will ever see this lady. This is an accident bate. The lady has family sometimes they putting her in a place and sometimes she’s back on the road. If anyone is concerned check this out please.

18. sparkles
    March 28, 2016 at 10:50 pm Reply

nothing is our business till it reach crisis …. RIP ,

March 28, 2016 at 11:30 pm Reply

I feel really saddened by this because it was only a matter of time. This guy was usually careless on the road and I wish something had been done to stop him earlier. Maybe this could have been avoided.

March 29, 2016 at 12:05 am Reply

Rip so sorry yo hear that

21. My Thoughts
    March 29, 2016 at 12:30 am Reply

Righteous Intentionz, I hear you. This was his means of transportation. As a driver, I have encountered him and though he may have been using the wrong section of the road at times, I have always been amazed at his skill and ingenuity at getting from one place to the next using a wheelchair. Yes, I said that. As a matter of fact, I have even admired his strength because it is no easy feat climbing the hills along the way moreso using your hands. I will miss him on the road. Think what you may, I looked for him maybe as a reminder of how fortunate I am or just because I expected to see him.

That said, I remind us all that due diligence on the roadway is necessary for everyone. Every life is important so we, all road users, need to be careful. Since I am commenting, I may as well say that pedestrians need to be taught how to use a ‘Pedestrian Crossing’. People, both young and old, get to a pedestrian crossing and figure that they could just step out on to the road. They need to give drivers ample time to make the necessary adjustments to allow them to cross.

Take a moment to think everyone and be grateful for life. Peace to you all.

22. Annon Emus
    March 29, 2016 at 9:32 am Reply

some of you say it’s the victim’s fault and i agree. but don’t you think it’s easier for that victim to ride his wheelchair on the road rather than on stones? I’ve seen him countless of times and I understand why it’s physically easier for him to ride on the road.

March 29, 2016 at 2:22 pm Reply

accident waiting to happen.

24. jon jon
    March 29, 2016 at 3:12 pm Reply

i dont understand how people can be so cruel, the man was HUMAN. we need not blame him for his constant travels as we do not know why.

25. c joseph
    March 29, 2016 at 6:13 pm Reply

This was his only form of transport since he had one leg to move around an get food or money to buy food to support himself however the fact if the matter is he was on the the lawn side of the road off the road completely look at the pixture for your selves the taxi driver hit him way on the outskirt of the road look at the white line look at where his wheelchair is look at where the body lieslook at it for your self tx 361 is totally off the road I was there on scene last night the man try to move his vehicle the police told him he cannot do that that’s what I saw wi the my naked eyes stop saying what yourll hear people say I saw the scene of the crime

26. wise man
    March 29, 2016 at 6:30 pm Reply

well at the end of it he’s still a human being… its true while he was on that wheel chair travelling the busiest highways in Saint Lucia it was very risky and dangerous not only to him but everyone using the roads at the same time… it was just a disaster waiting to happen.. sad but not surprising, at least all the good Samaritans and our local authorities tried to help by giving him wheel chairs and that is what encouraged him to be on the highways. BUT none of them thought of trying to get him off the streets instead. and placing him where our tax monies has been spent on to build.. wouldn’t that have been a better option then ??? RIP Lehwah!!!

March 29, 2016 at 6:41 pm Reply

how many of you in here know this mans past?the reason for this man being on a wheel chair is because he was asked to leave the only house he ever knew.after both his parents died some individuals claimed to be the rightful owners and the asked him to leave when he refused the police were called and he was shot because he refused to leave his dwelling house and this is why this man was on the streets

March 30, 2016 at 3:46 pm Reply

Thanks for sharing. Some lucians just talk.

March 30, 2016 at 3:43 pm Reply

When will st.lucians stop. Whether he was on wheel chair in the dark or light doesn’t make it ok for him to get killed. Alot of accidents can be avoided. Drivers have to drive not only for themselves but they have to be aware of pedestrians as well.