Driver in fatal accident says: “I was unlucky!”

Driver in fatal accident says: “I was unlucky!”

The driver in this evening’s accident that claimed the life of a one-legged man, has described himself as being “unlucky”.

Egbert Nelson told the Times that he has managed on some three occasions in the past to evade the deceased.

The victim traveled on the Millennium Highway using his wheelchair as his means of transport.

However this evening the man is reported to have collided with Nelson’s 13 seater bus.

Nelson said he was heading towards Castries from Vieux Fort when the collision occurred.

“When I was driving on the road there, as if somebody was driving on the left side and was coming up this way. The next thing the guy just come and hit my vehicle,” the driver explained.

Nelson, who disclosed that he has been a taxi driver since 1962, asserted that he had “too many encounters” with the deceased.

Residents in the area of the Millennium Highway where the collision occurred and where the deceased reportedly lived, have identified him as Derek Eugene.

He has been a regular sight along the Millennium Highway.

Many motorists felt his presence posed a traffic hazard especially in the nights when he is not clearly visible on his wheelchair as he was dressed in dark clothing.

1. Wha...
    March 28, 2016 at 9:37 pm Reply

Every road user has a right to use the roads in whatever capacity, whether is a car, bus, bicycle, wheelchair or pedestrian. As drivrts we must be cognizant of other users and drive both for ourselves and others. Sometimes as drivers we think the roads are only for motor vehicles only.

March 28, 2016 at 9:46 pm Reply

SO…it is ok for a man… in a wheelchair to travel on such a busy road…during the night, in dark clothing? If you have encountered this man you will know that he uses to road, not the sidewalk. This was an accident waiting to happen. I travel down this road everyday and I see this man each day. I always smh. Even when drivers toot him, he ignores them. This is very sad, but I cant say I blame the driver completely.

March 28, 2016 at 11:47 pm Reply

I so agree with you

2. Ginger
      March 29, 2016 at 9:21 am Reply

You are obviously not a driver! Last week it could have been me in the tunnel in the pm before lights come on. I am driving south to Bexon and he is on my side coming to town. It was just a matter of time. My condolences to his family.

3. max
      March 29, 2016 at 9:40 am Reply

Oye
      Pappyshow you talking. If he would make himself visible to drivers this would not have happened! An accident waiting to happen!

March 28, 2016 at 10:18 pm Reply

You consider yourself unlucky? I wonder what the man in the wheelchair would consider himself. I guess dead. If you’re unlucky then you better stop driving.

March 28, 2016 at 10:31 pm Reply

OK so stop with these comments plz! This man in the wheelchair has been a hazard for many years to many motorists. Where have the necessary authorities been to ensure that he was placed in a home that cared for such persons? He was given a wheel chair n made to ‘fend ‘ for himself.
    Obviously , his only way of getting to town to get his daily supplies was via the millenium highway because that’s where he lived..in an abandoned container. May he rest peacefully! There is such another man who rides along the Bex on highway in a wheelchair. He needs help as well. Maybe he can be saved.

4. Sad
    March 29, 2016 at 7:29 am Reply

My heart goes out more so to the driver. Use of the roads is for safe driving. During the day, although dangerous, i can understand travelling on a wheelchair. But at nights where are his lights. In the same way drivers are to look out for persons like the deceased, so to must persons like the deceased pay attention to what’s happening on the road. Now his negligence has cost him his life and the taxi man at his age has to deal with that burden. It’s illegal to ride a bicycle without lights after dark, I hope it’s the same for wheelchairs.

5. Solitary Man
    March 29, 2016 at 12:20 pm Reply

This was the man day, place and time because say around 6pm. Two hours earlier I had to veer off near the Victoria Hospital section of that same highway. I think we all state authorities and general public should to responsibility for the man’s fate. RIP. Young man. And let it be a hard lesson learnt for us all

March 29, 2016 at 12:45 pm Reply

Its soo true. This man has been a hazard on the road. I live close to him and travelled on the highway everyday. He doesn’t use the side walk. And most times abstract traffic flow. He evens curses and uses fowl language back at driver. Am sorry it happed that way. But it was an accident waiting to happen

March 29, 2016 at 3:39 pm Reply

Wow! The driver conciders himself unlucky for killing another human being. The lack of empaphy is a huge Issue in this country.

March 29, 2016 at 9:42 pm Reply

The driver felt that he was unlucky for something so to happen to him in all his years of driving to have an accident of that sort. My heart go out to the driver. That guy on the wheel chair was really a hazard on the road who expect to find a man on a wheel chair at this time of night on the road and we are trying to justify his reason to be out at this time. Ask around and find out how many accidents he has caused on that road.

9. MR COCO
    April 7, 2016 at 2:39 pm Reply

ITS HIGH TIME FOR WHEELCHAIR LANES ON THE ROADS.