The Lions Club of Castries joins with our District Governor Lion Marvin Grant MJF, Our Region Chairman Lion Monica Felix, Zone Chairman Lion Marcia St Ange, our Leo District Chairman Lion Rhon Stephens and other clubs in Zone 3B, in congratulating the members of the Leo Club of Castries as they celebrated their 32nd Anniversary of their charter as a club, on April 07, 2016.
As an integral part of the Lions International network, Leos also have their own network of more than 5,700 Leo Clubs in approximately 140 nations.
The objective of the Leo movement is to provide the youth of the world with an opportunity for development and contribution – individually and collectively – as responsible members of the local, national and international community.
The motto is:
Leadership – Develop skills as a project organizer, time manager and team leader.
Experience – Learn how teamwork, cooperation and collaboration can bring exciting changes to your community and the world.
Opportunity – Make friends, develop networks and feel the rewards of community service.
In Saint Lucia, the Leo Club of Castries has remained steadfast over the past thirty-two years. Community service remains the cornerstone of the Leo programme. Like their Lion counterparts, Leo Club members enjoy serving their neighbours and watching positive results unfold while engaging in fun filled activities.
Through the years the Leo Club of Castries has been active in the community, providing young persons with an opportunity to enrich lives by engaging in activities including:
- Breast cancer awareness campaign
- Diabetes Awareness education and prevention
- Lions Reading Action Program
- Sponsoring educational opportunities for needy children
- Raising funds for youth, educational and community projects
- Environmental Preservation and Awareness
- Assisting in times of natural disaster
- Feeding the homeless and providing food hampers to shut-ins
The Leo Club of Castries in implementing these projects has fostered partnerships with the community and business organizations and is an active participant in the Super J Yoplait Breast Cancer Awareness Walk, the St Lucia Diabetic and Hypertension Association and The Caribbean Youth Network.
Some of the activities planned to mark the anniversary include:
- Church service and Brunch
- Delivery of hampers to needy families
- Odsan Combined School Socks Project
- Fundraising Movie on the Freewinds
Despite the impact that the club has had in the community it has continued to struggle with the issue of attracting and retaining young persons with the commitment and dedication to community service.
Why Join A Leo Club:
- Serving others, making new friends, and viewing the world through another’s perspective are some of the rewards that come for young people who join a Leo club;
- Opportunities to learn and practice leadership skills; and participate in community service projects;
- Leo clubs are a place to grow and have fun;
- Opportunity for fellowship with other club members and Lions;
- The opportunity to be part o the world’s largest service organization.
Membership in a Leo Club is open to young people between the age of 18 and 30, with good character and an interest in serving community. Young persons interested in serving community can contact The Leo Club of Castries at email@example.com or like us on Facebook “Leo Club of Castries – St. Lucia.”