Woman played dead to halt savage attack

A woman pretended to be dead today to halt an attack on her by a man in his thirties, with whom she had an abusive relationship, the female’s uncle – Lance Mathurin has told the Times.

Mathurin identified the woman victim of the attack which occurred at a house in Monchy, as nineteen year old Davia Michelle Hypolite.

The uncle (Photo below) recalled that on Saturday Hypolite told him she wanted to talk because things between her and her boyfriend were not going well.


(Lance Mathurin)

Mathurin told the Times that today while he was at the Victoria Hospital mortuary for a post mortem on a relative, he was told that his niece was at the hospital.

He said he rushed to the Casualty Department and saw Hypolite bleeding profusely.

“There were about five Doctors, they had her in the ward working on her,” he recalled.

Mathurin said after his niece regained consciousness, she told him that this morning when she awoke, she had told her boyfriend that their relationship was over because he was very abusive and always beating her.

Mathurin said he was told by his niece that as soon as she turned her back, she was stabbed in the back with a pair of scissors.

He told the Times Hypolite accused the boyfriend of stabbing her multiple times with the scissors and later with a knife.

The incident allegedly occurred in a house where the two lived together.

The assailant allegedly took a knife from the kitchen counter and continued stabbing Hypolite, Mathurin quoted his niece as saying.

“She told me that she fell and when she fell, the guy now took his hands and put it in her throat, like strangling her,” the uncle said.

He said that according to his niece, when she felt herself losing consciousness, she pretended that she was dead.

Mathurin reported that Hypolite told him when she pretended to be dead, her assailant lifted up her arm, dropped it and exclaimed: “Oh shucks, she is dead!”

He quoted Hypolite as saying that the assailant took a bag and rushed out of the house.

The assailant is reported to have later consumed a substance in an apparent suicide attempt, resulting in his hospitalization.

Mathurin said his niece recounted struggling to get out of the house, falling in the process.

A relative who saw the young woman covered in blood is reported to have raised an alarm and an ambulance was summoned to the scene to take Hypolite to hospital.

The police were later on the scene, it is reported.

However Mathurin recalled that the alleged assailant had launched an attack on him in April last year, knocking him unconscious.

According to Mathurin, the assailant had warned him to keep his nose out of the relationship with his niece.

The uncle said the matter went to court and the assailant was ordered to pay five thousand dollars in compensation which he never did.

“My niece could have been dead today, but thank God she is alive,” Mathurin declared.