Minister’s response to rapes criticized

National Security Minister, Victor La Corbiniere, has come under fire over his response to the alleged rape of two teenagers at Derek Walcott square on Friday.

The criticism has come from Norbert Williams, the head of Speak Out Saint Lucia (SOS), a group formed recently to advocate on behalf of victims of sexual abuse, child molestation, incest and rape.

Williams said the statement he has heard so far from the National Security Minister on the alleged rapes is empty.

“For young people to be accosted in such a manner in the heart of Castries is troubling and an indication that we continue to have serious issues with crime in Saint Lucia and something needs to be done,” the SOS official declared.

He asserted that the people of Saint Lucia have every reason to be concerned and alarmed.

“We have to ask ourselves why this could happen in the heart of our City,” Williams said.

The former police officer observed that the reports of rapes at the Derek Walcott square raise a number of questions.

But he stated that he was disappointed in the response from the authorities.

In addition to criticizing the Minister of National Security for his statement, Williams said he had not heard any official word from the police.

The Royal Saint Lucia Police Force (RSLPF) has scheduled a news conference for later today to discuss the alleged rapes and other law enforcement matters.

Williams noted that Derek Walcott square is not well lit at night.

He declared that to suggest that crime occurs everywhere is a “cop out.”

He said:

“Where are the security cameras for the square – one of our only functioning parks, if you will, for relaxation in the City?”

Williams explained that there are some things that can be done with minimal resources to improve security, such as improving the lighting at the Derek Walcott square and increasing the visibility of the police.

The SOS head made the remarks last night during the DBS Television programme – Newsmaker Live.

Shares