Police probe alleged attack on visitor

Police probe alleged attack on visitor

Marigot Police are investigating an alleged attack on a visitor from Britain.

Yasmin Gideon Albert from London told Choice Television that she and a group of friends went into an establishment at Marigot called – the Great View.

great-viewAlbert said as she was about to take a photograph of Marigot Bay, a woman ran out and attacked her.

“She punched me in my chest and started to rip my clothing,” the British visitor stated.

Albert said apparently there was a sign at the establishment that she did not observe.

The sign indicated that visitors had to pay for taking photos.

“I was not expecting to be attacked- I was expecting her to welcome me,” Albert declared.

A member of her party, Anthony Cyril Paul, said he was disgusted by the incident.

He noted that the alleged assailant claimed that the establishment has CCTV footage of the incident, which they welcomed.

But Paul indicated that they did not get a chance to see it.

“The first thing she said was that she had CCTV. The police went with her to look at the film, but up to now we can’t see the film because that would have killed everything from there because we would have seen what happened,” Paul asserted.

He disclosed that the group was here on vacation.

“We are bringing some of our friends from London, because me and my lovely wife got married three days ago at Coconut Bay,” Paul explained.

He said the group was on its way to Soufriere.

The visitor started to comment about the local police but stopped short.

Paul said:

“I am not going to say anything more because I have to get off the Island.”

Marigot resident – J.J, who operates a hotel and bar in the community described the incident as ridiculous.

Noting the importance of tourism to Saint Lucia, J.J asserted that regardless of the colour of the visitor, they are supposed to be welcomed, not kicked out.

Regarding the Great View, he said the first thing someone would want to do when they enter such an establishment is to say “wow”, and then take a photograph.

“Let the people relax, take their picture and then they spend their money,” J.J declared.

He recalled having spoken to the Great View establishment about charging people for taking photos.

“You have to stop this,” J.J said.

The British visitors said the woman who attacked them lied to the Police, saying that the group had attacked her

One of the visitors, who is actually Saint Lucia-born, has said that she will not stop at Marigot again when visiting this country and would advise others to do the same.

1. Jennifer calixte
    May 13, 2016 at 10:11 pm Reply

My husband and I also experience the same attitude from one of the vendor. We also did not see the no picture sign.this lady was rude and very unprofessional. This lady should be removed from dealing with tourist. She is repesting st lucia in a negative way.this also happend at marigot Bay.

2. Molokoy
    May 13, 2016 at 11:25 pm Reply

It’s time that tour operators get security to travel with their guests..I won’t charge much.

3. miss louis
    May 13, 2016 at 11:39 pm Reply

jj if u cant say something good about some body then shut up
    are u forgetting all the gun shots u use to burst at people on friday nights
    and dont forget the under age school children u making pool party for just to spoil them u eh better u greedy u took simon says tours ,u like to sell or rent to people wen u see its doing well u want it back so zip it cause i have more for u

May 14, 2016 at 6:42 am Reply

Ppl change tho at least he said something positive. … smh

4. francine
    May 14, 2016 at 8:03 am Reply

St. Lucia has gone to the dogs. The island is out of control

May 14, 2016 at 10:22 am Reply

There’s always 2 sides to a story

1. miss louis
      May 14, 2016 at 7:24 pm Reply

thats right honey

May 14, 2016 at 11:56 am Reply

No body has the right to charge, anyone for a picture of..Gods (Green Earth) If they were taking pictures within her shop and she had a policy. That you had pay, for using her premises that’s did’nt! Even then..thier is away to talk to people. How dare she hit the lady. When they probably came to spend money in your shop! BACK WARDS!!! That behavior is not expectable.

7. Lucian born
    May 15, 2016 at 2:17 am Reply

Thanks for letting me know I won’t stop their that greedy woman need training customer approach.

8. rayyyy
    May 15, 2016 at 9:00 pm Reply

A photo now cost u a lawyer and might spend some time forty star….it’s high tym Lucian’s stop acting hungry for foreigners money…whole core ou pah bon….just so

May 17, 2016 at 8:18 am Reply

To whoever said that there is two sides to every story, yes most of the time but in this instance there is only one. I was there when the attack happened. The young question walked onto the premises and did not see a poorly hand written sign stating that the proprietor was charging two US dollars to take a picture of scenic Marigot Bay. This woman came out of her shop grabbed the young lady by her dress and ripped it then punched her whilst saying I told you not to take any pictures. The young lady quite rightly retaliated. The woman then called the Marigot police who then arrived at the scene to question what had happened, the woman then told them that she asked the young lady not to take any pictures and the young lady pushed her so she pushed her back and then all thirty of us including our driver started hitting her with bottles??? Which was a total fabrication but nevertheless the police entertained her and kept is all in Marigot bay for nearly five hours, ruining our trip around the island. The woman then wanted compensation from all of us and stated that she did not want it in Eastern Caribbean dollars, she requested US DOLLARS.
    We later learned that this woman is dating a police officer, I even told her that I was going to report her to the tourist board, she turned smiled and said “I am the tourist board ”
    This woman should not be allowed to trade, her whole village and people north of Marigot bay are against her because this is not the first time she has done this. She is giving st lucia a bad name and I for one will not stop until she has been stopped.
    I have now returned to the UK and will be starting my proceedings against this woman.

10. Vanessa Paul
    May 19, 2016 at 11:42 am Reply

This woman “Gloria” poses a threat to the tourist trade of Marigot Bay. This woman attacked my daughter Yasmin and with the collaboration of the police expected my husband, daughter and myself to apologise to the attacker and pay her money!!!!! They treated “Gloria” as if she was the victim!!!!! Yasmin was leaving the Great View when Gloria felt it was necessary to grab her, punch her and rip her clothing. Poor Gloria, you did not realise that Yasmin’s family were with her!!!! And you had the cheek to call the police lol . I am sure you will not be raising your hands to tourists again. Customer service is vital in your line of business. You need to enrol in a course to familiarise yourself with customer service skills, you will be the downfall of Marigot Bay tourist trade. Furthermore, you are actually renowned for this kind of behaviour – which according to the police on this particular day was irrelevant!!! I will be reporting this incident to the St Lucian Tourist Board also Tripadvisor and any other body that deals with tourism in St Lucia

September 23, 2016 at 9:48 pm Reply

It time to do something about it we are losing our tours because of those kind of people

September 23, 2016 at 10:52 pm Reply

everybody stay away from the great view this place is a front for dirty police ,Gloria is part of operation take heed all you gallable tourists,this place is a trap,stay away from this area.