Bajans defend role in Saint Lucia poll

Bajans defend role in Saint Lucia poll

Barbados Today:-Political consultant Hartley Henry has defended the involvement of Barbadian experts in the recent general election campaign in St Lucia, arguing that Caribbean consultants who are recognized as authorities in their field should be embraced by the region.

Henry’s stance echoed that of Opposition Leader Mia Mottley who faced strong criticism over her possible involvement in the campaign during a visit to the sister Caribbean nation.

While protesting that “I ain’t canvass, I ain’t walk, I ain’t went pon no platform, I ain’t speak publicly” during her trip to Castries, Mottley told a meeting of the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) St Philip branch on Sunday night she saw nothing wrong with Caribbean nationals participating in the election process in other regional states.

Speaking today on the radio call-in programme Down to Brass Tacks, Henry gave the thumbs up to the “four or five Barbadians” who had travelled to St Lucia to work on the successful campaign of United Workers Party (UWP) ahead of yesterday’s general election.

Regarded as one of the region’s top political consultants, Henry argued that political consultancy had the potential to become a thriving industry, earning valuable foreign exchange for Barbados.

The political strategist, whose services are utilized by major parties in a number of Caribbean countries, noted that 15 to 20 years ago political consultants were brought in from the United States at a time when the profession was seen as a “most revered and respected” one.

Henry made specific reference to two local consultants who had replaced expatriates in the field – Lucille Moe, the daughter of former Attorney General the late George Moe and Debbie Hughes, a former press secretary to late Prime Minister Tom Adams.

He said Moe had specific skills in what is considered in the business as the “ground war”, while Hughes had expertise in crafting election messages.

He stressed they both had been part of his operations for years, and dismissed the suggestion that they were sent to St Lucia by the BLP.

Pointing out that as many as 13 Barbadians had been on the ground in
St Lucia during the elections of 1997, 2001 and 2006, the political consultant expressed surprise at the negative comments expressed by detractors.

Henry disclosed that over the past 15 years every manifesto and every poster for elections in the Eastern Caribbean had been printed by a Barbadian company, adding that the theme song for the UWP campaign this year was penned and sung by two-time calypso monarch John King, with Barbadians as the backup singers.

1. Saint Lucian
    June 8, 2016 at 2:07 pm Reply

These people need to be banned from coming here in the Next General Elections. And what Experts?
    People who are manipulators of an already messed up system.

And I hope the SLP is taking note very closely.
    We need to stop being spawns of ridicule.

June 8, 2016 at 2:19 pm Reply

Actually, it’s the SLP who started the practice of bringing foreigners into St Lucia election campaigns. Do you remember the English woman during the 1997 campaign? Ralph Gonsalves in 2006? Skerrit in 2016? Astaphan all the time?

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg…

2. Saint Lucian
    June 8, 2016 at 2:10 pm Reply

And in the next General Elections, I personally will be going around the Island and seek them out wherever they are hiding.

And what HAPPENS, HAPPENS.

3. Saint Lucian
    June 8, 2016 at 2:12 pm Reply

June 8, 2016 at 2:49 pm Reply

1. Saint Lucian
        June 8, 2016 at 2:54 pm Reply

I will never recognize your leader as my PM.
        It will never happen!

1. St lucia
          June 8, 2016 at 9:45 pm Reply

You fool

June 8, 2016 at 10:30 pm Reply

if you are lucian he is your PM jump high jump low
          btw where is alva is his body dead yet
          chas is pm

June 8, 2016 at 2:31 pm Reply

zot pye, zot ped!!!!!!!!!!! When gonzales told Sir John he was his PM and estaphane was on live TV with Jadia, Skiritt from dominica, the PM from england in 1997 on platform. Saint Lucian stop talking crap. I am happy it was babadian and not US or UK. accept defeat.

5. Sad-But-True
    June 8, 2016 at 3:00 pm Reply

Nice 🙂

June 8, 2016 at 3:13 pm Reply

That is a fact…. There are six of them in this crop…….. All UWP…… Plus one lady that is laughing about the $499,000.00 she walk away with…..

It is dam right shame on our electors…….

I live in England, if what i am hearing is true about these men…. God lord alone know!!!!

This could never happen here in London…….. Boy let me stay in my little coner over here where i am bound to pay my taxes to get good government services…..

Lucia people want easy life with no taxes….. My remittances goes to my poor mother…

I wish i did not have send i penny back……

1. David
      June 8, 2016 at 3:23 pm Reply

I am soooo ashamed of my people. My wife is in London and she is shocked by the mind-set of our people.

June 8, 2016 at 4:34 pm Reply

David boy i bet you she can tell you how our paycheck looks with all types tax deduc…

David i have come to the point where i will take a vaction in Hong Kong and Asia before St.Lucia.

Them people down there to sweet…. I told my she must vote for the party that made sure i did not have to do school shift system again.
        Those days were hard for her as two us when in the morning and two in the aftermoon.

Thank to the British two us came to the sevice and we file for my brother and sister..

The only thing i miss in st.lucia is my mother…. Hope they get the visa free and VAT removal……

They are so malleable!!!!!!!!

June 8, 2016 at 10:32 pm Reply

stay in England we don’t need you here

7. The Commentator
    June 9, 2016 at 2:06 am Reply

It must be a very bitter pill for Dr. Tennyson Joseph, a Che Labour, to swallow to see that his dear cousin, Bradley Felix, contributed to the demise of the SLP at the polls. Bradley, the banker, aligned himself with the winning team but Tennyson, the historian and political scientist, used an uncalibrated time machine which kept telling Tennyson that Labour will win.
    That distasteful SLP advertisement which accused Bradley of being responsible for Non-Performing Loans (NPL) at Bank of St. Lucia (BOSL) was the final nail in Lorne’s coffin. The SLP should know by now that one cannot run and win an Election on mwepi and mauvais lang alone.
    Tennyson is a bright boy but he should not allow his loyalty and love of Labour to cloud his great superior intellect and judgment. IN THE INTERIM TENNYSON SHOULD GET A NEW TIME MACHINE AS HIS UNCALIBRATED TIME MACHINE IS BROKEN BEYOND REPAIR. GO BACK TO THE FUTURE TENNYSON.