Good Samaritan stops attack on teenager

A Good Samaritan intervened this morning and stopped an attack on a diminutive sixteen year old boy.

The attack took place at about 11 am in the parking lot of Super J supermarket at La Clery.

The sixteen year old was attacked by several other teenagers as he exited the supermarket, where he had gone to buy ice for his grandmother, according to eyewitnesses.

“The boy was buying ice and and the other two, one of them gave the boy one slap and a fight started,” the Good Samaritan, Frumentius Jn Baptiste,  told the Times.

He explained that when he saw the  assailants were overpowering their victim he intervened.

“Four of them on one little boy,” Jn Baptiste told the Times.

He expressed concern that such a level of violence could have been exhibited by youngsters of school age.

Jn Baptiste explained that the victim wanted to take revenge.

“That’s the kind of things that makes criminals,” he explained.

A female vendor who was part of a small crowd that gathered following the attack, kept restraining the victim as tears rolled down his face.

She also helped to keep the attackers at bay.

The vendor told the Times that she was acquainted with the boy’s grandmother, who is a vendor near the beach a short distance away from the Rendezvous Hotel.

One of the attackers, asked why he and the others had targeted the victim, asserted that the boy had looked at them “screw”.

However the victim later explained to the Times that it was the third time that the group had confronted him.

He said two of the youngsters who had either been expelled from or had dropped out of school, used to be his schoolmates.

The victim, who lives at Bisee, recalled having seen them smoking marijuana on the school premises.

He said he had made a report to the Principal of the school, resulting in action being taken against the youngsters.

The victim’s grandmother told the Times she believed that as a result, the youngsters had a vendetta against her grandson.

Following in the attack in the Super J supermarket parking lot, the victim was escorted onto a minibus, operated by a driver who is acquainted with his family.

He was taken back to his grandmother who had sent him on the errand.