Rowan Seon: Lewd revelers giving Carnival a bad name

Rowan Seon: Lewd revelers giving Carnival a bad name

Rowan Seon, veteran Calypso writer and Carnival judge, is unhappy with the way that some people behave during Carnival.

“Carnival can be a beautiful thing,” Seon told the Times.

But he asserted that he feels quite strongly that some people are giving Carnival a bad name.

Seon had made similar comments last night during the DBS Television programme – Newsmaker Live, with Journalist – Timothy Poleon.

“Carnival is not lewdness,” he declared, adding that the problem of vulgar behavior is restricted to just a few people.

Rowan Seon noted that some band leaders have taken steps to caution members who get out of line.

“We have women and men who would bend over – this 6:30 thing in front of a camera and expose all kinds of things. That is not necessary. You can enjoy carnival without doing that,” he noted.

Seon seemed to suggest that media coverage may contribute to the sordid actions of carnival revelers.

He observed that some wait until television cameras are focused on them to begin performing their lewd antics.

According to the veteran Calypso Writer and Carnival Judge, during coverage of international cricket, at times there are ‘streakers’  – persons who run across the field naked.

Seon said:

“Do you know the Producers take a decision not to focus the cameras on these people?”

He asserted that the Producers take such action so as not to encourage others and declare that cricket is not about such behavior.

Seon said there was no need to focus on men and women who are bending over and spreading their legs.

“That’s not carnival; that’s nonsense,” he declared.

1. Sad-But-True
    July 14, 2016 at 4:17 pm Reply

Ditto!!! This is why NO one respects St. Lucian women anymore. Their Moral have taken an all Time Dip. They are Bad Role Models to Little Girls.

July 14, 2016 at 11:04 pm Reply

Thats my principal himself and he said it right..

3. The Commentator
    July 15, 2016 at 1:13 am Reply

I have to conclude that “mataying” is the most popular sexual position in Saint Lucia.

July 15, 2016 at 12:37 pm Reply

I agree with you Mr Seon. I’m a reveller and I’ve never bent over on the road. I will never do that either. We must call for this to stop. Foolish behaviour. And their anatomy not even nice

5. Boujon Guiyave
    July 15, 2016 at 1:53 pm Reply

Once it is called carnival you will get that type of behaviour.

July 15, 2016 at 4:09 pm Reply

My friend Mr.Seon may have got it slightly wrong. I want blast band leaders that have no sense of creative. The patrons can only wear what has been designed by the mas camp.

July 15, 2016 at 5:19 pm Reply

Seon lose your eyes if it is lewd. adults should be free to wine how they want!!!

July 17, 2016 at 6:36 pm Reply

Shame on you anonymous! Children are watching!

9. Sher
    July 17, 2016 at 10:03 pm Reply

Such disgusting comments anonymous, St Lucian women lose all their morals when it is carnival. Some are so disgusting. That’s why my I never took my sons to look at carnival. My eldest is so disgusted by this.

July 21, 2016 at 8:00 am Reply

Indicpline behavior
    has nothing to do with carnival. Some of our women have no morale values and wait for carnival to display publicly their disgusting actions. They allow the animal instincts to overtake them and exhibit their bedroom actions for the world to see. On the other hand our French counterpart displays discipline and poised in their dance movements. Their bedroom actions remain where it supposed to stay in the bedroom. When will we learn. If our slave ancestors knew that this would have been the way we choose to celebrate our freedom they may have chosen to stay in slavery.