Honourable Prime Minister Allen M. Chastanet left the island yesterday, Wednesday 20th July, 2016 to attend the Assembly of the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) in St. John’s Antigua and Barbuda.
It is the Assembly’s first meeting since 2012. The proceedings will be held at the national parliament of Antigua and Barbuda. The event will commence at 9:00 a. m. today with a ceremonial opening attended by the Governor General of Antigua and Barbuda and other specially invited guests.
Special remarks will be offered by the Chairman of the OECS, Dr. the Honourable Timothy S Harris, Prime Minister of St. Kitts and Nevis and the OECS Director General Dr. Didacus Jules. The assembly will convene following the military parade and formal entrance of parliamentarians.
The Assembly will be lead by a very short agenda for the organizing of the Assembly’s business.
Agenda items will include:
- The election of the Speaker of the OECS Assembly – Reelection of Rene Baptiste of St. Vincent and the Grenadines as Speaker of the OECS Assembly.
- The election of the Deputy Speaker – Gail Christian of Antigua and Barbuda has been proposed to be elected as the Deputy Speaker.
- Announcement by the Speaker, Delegation from Member States
- Adoption of the Order Paper
- Adoption of the Last Assembly Hansard Reports
- Statements (Rule 37) a. Chairman of the Authority, b. Members
- Proposed Act – Water Resource Management Bill, Adjournment.
The Honourable Prime Minister Allen M. Chastanet will table a motion on climate change. The Assembly will also have discussions as it speaks to the commitment of member states in following up with the conclusions of COP 21.
The OECS Assembly will also make a statement of tribute to the late former Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago Patrick Manning.
Following this session of the OECS Assembly, the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB) will host its Monetary Council meeting for ministers of finance on Friday, 22nd July, 2016.
The OECS Assembly comprises Members who are representatives, of the members of the Parliament and of the members of the Legislatures of the Member States. The OECS Assembly considers and reports to the OECS Authority on any proposal to enact an Act of the Organization. The Assembly also reports to the Council of Ministers in the case of any proposal to make regulations which has been referred to the OECS Assembly.
The Hon. Ezeckiel Joseph will act as Prime Minister in the absence of Prime Minister Allen M. Chastanet. The Prime Minister will return on Saturday July 23, 2016.