Former West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Doctor Ernest Hilaire, has expressed shock at news that Darren Sammy has been sacked as West Indies’ T20 captain.
Sammy has been axed four months after winning the World Twenty20.
“It is shocking,” Hilaire told the Times.
He said it was not expected that so soon after winning the World T20 that Sammy would have been removed as Captain and from the team as a player.
“You would want to believe that there would be a transitional period before another Captain is picked,” Hilaire asserted.
He stated that it has to be assumed that the WICB is thinking about rebuilding preparing for the next World T20.
However Hilaire observed that at thirty-two years old, Sammy still has a few years to give to West Indies T20 cricket.
He noted that his performance in the recent CPL, which is the basis for picking the West Indies team, was outstanding with some very good scores.
“If that is the basis for picking players, then surely he can make the team,” the former WICB CEO told the Times.
“It is really a shock. Sometimes you wonder whether at the end of the day it is less about performance and more about other factors.”
According to Hilaire, sometimes the importance of the captaincy, the need for persons who can bring the team together, play together and achieve as a team are underplayed.
He explained that Sammy has shown that he is capable of doing that twice in winning the World T20 trophies for the West Indies.
Sammy, who led West Indies to the World Twenty20 title in 2012 and 2016, claimed on Friday he has been sacked as captain in a 30-second phone call from the head of selectors.
The 32-year-old posted an emotional video on his Facebook page where he said his six-year spell in charge had ended.
Sammy, lying shirtless in his bed and with reggae music playing in the background, also said he had been dropped from the squad.
West Indies are currently hosting India in a four-Test series to be followed by two Twenty 20s in Florida on August 27 and 28.