Former WICB Boss shocked by Darren Sammy’s sacking

Former WICB Boss shocked by Darren Sammy’s sacking

Former West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Doctor Ernest Hilaire, has expressed shock at news that Darren Sammy has been sacked as West Indies’ T20 captain.

Sammy has been axed four months after winning the World Twenty20.

“It is shocking,” Hilaire told the Times.

He said it was not expected that so soon after winning the World T20 that Sammy would have been removed as Captain and from the team as a player.

“You would want to believe that there would be a transitional period before another Captain is picked,” Hilaire asserted.

He stated that it has to be assumed that the WICB is thinking about rebuilding preparing for the next World T20.

However Hilaire observed that at thirty-two years old, Sammy still has a few years to give to West Indies T20 cricket.

He noted that his performance in the  recent CPL, which is the basis for picking the West Indies team, was outstanding with some very good scores.

“If that is the basis for picking players, then surely he can make the team,” the former WICB CEO told the Times.

Hilaire said:

“It is really a shock. Sometimes you wonder whether at the end of the day it is less about performance and more about other factors.”

According to Hilaire, sometimes the importance of  the captaincy, the need for persons who can bring the team together, play together and achieve as a team are underplayed.

He explained that Sammy has shown that he is capable of doing that twice in winning the World T20 trophies for the West Indies.

Sammy, who led West Indies to the World Twenty20 title in 2012 and 2016, claimed on Friday he has been sacked as captain in a 30-second phone call from the head of selectors.

The 32-year-old posted an emotional video on his Facebook page where he said his six-year spell in charge had ended.

Sammy, lying shirtless in his bed and with reggae music playing in the background, also said he had been dropped from the squad.

West Indies are currently hosting India in a four-Test series to be followed by two Twenty 20s in Florida on August 27 and 28.

1. Citizen
    August 5, 2016 at 7:48 pm Reply

Saint Lucians should boycott the test match. The two C’s, Cameron and Courtney drop me brown need to be taught a lesson.

August 8, 2016 at 2:05 pm Reply

I agree nobody don’t go to that

2. Lucian
    August 5, 2016 at 8:25 pm Reply

I concur. This shows how petty some of our so called managers can be. I say boycott WEST INDIES cricket in SLU as a whole until that Cameron fella is out

August 5, 2016 at 9:23 pm Reply

Boycott all Cricket in SLU from the time that it is West Indies playing….
    Rally Round Sammy

4. ouch!
    August 5, 2016 at 9:37 pm Reply

Oh yes let them choose their team and watch them play, boy Sammy life goes on. We are St. Lucians first

August 5, 2016 at 9:58 pm Reply

I agree we should leave the stadium empty

August 6, 2016 at 2:33 pm Reply

6. A brothers pain
    August 5, 2016 at 10:30 pm Reply

Hey Sammy , your helps comes from GOD brother not man , I know it’s tough , I to have lost a job I love dearly , but GOD never fail to rise me , just maybe he had better plans for you life .

August 5, 2016 at 10:42 pm Reply

Team sammy stadium EMPTY

8. proud sammy supporter
    August 5, 2016 at 11:21 pm Reply

Agree that we should boycott the games, but we should all be outside our Daren Sammy Cricket Grounds, let the cameras be outside.

9. ouch
    August 5, 2016 at 11:34 pm Reply

Yes it would be nice to have a nice lime outside full of laughter these fellas cannot be so dumb or just plain spiteful and disrespectful. They must know when they pinch too hard we bite back

August 5, 2016 at 11:37 pm Reply

Boycott what? Y’all Lucians couldn’t come together to buy bread far less manage an effective boycott. We all know your drunken selves will be there shouting that ridiculous “national word”.

11. Sad-But-True
    August 6, 2016 at 2:56 am Reply

See, our Emotional Tantrums and feminine inhibitions in Most of us as Black men, will never return us to our Once Prominent Position which we had. Because most of us just cannot let things go. And we do not care if we destroy the best people and things around us just because of our Emotional Feelings. This is a Feminine trait. And sad to see that Darren Sammy has been dealt with so badly over someone’s Emotions and feelings getting hurt. This is not how Men should act or behave.

August 6, 2016 at 3:08 am Reply

I think its time we come together westindies cricket was at a stand still for a while Darren Sammy change tht the selectors of the westindies cricket board needs be investigated by some highly recommend police investigators

August 6, 2016 at 8:42 am Reply

Sammy don’t worry GOD is in control, they the selectors are going to destroy the T20 team the same way as they did to the Test team.

August 6, 2016 at 1:08 pm Reply

I think St. Lucian’s should let their voices be heard by boycotting the test match. Sacking Sammy was more than just an under performance issue. No wonder west Indies cricket is where it is today. Hold on Sammy.

August 6, 2016 at 1:47 pm Reply

So sorry for Sammy. WICB is filled with incompetent fools. So much bad luck too. At least Sammy still has his wife. My spouse left me after I voted UWP.

1. jaaayyy
      August 6, 2016 at 9:46 pm Reply

lol lol … thanks for the laugh tonight .

SAMMY ….my cricket days …no sammy no cricket

16. Eagles Eye
    August 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm Reply

St. Lucians should rally behind their own son of the soil Darren Sammy by boycotting the test match. He has been axed for speaking his mind and not for performance. No doubt about that. What is Cameron and drop me Brown trying to prove? Their time will soon come to be axed likewise.

17. Actor
    August 6, 2016 at 6:59 pm Reply

Why is Hillaire commenting, and even indicating that it might be other factors when he did the same thing anyways. He know very well that most of the times it is other factors that pick the team and not cricket.

August 6, 2016 at 9:05 pm Reply

So true

18. Gg
    August 6, 2016 at 10:38 pm Reply

Sammy we will rally behind you. When ever someone speak their mind , they always get victimized .
    This is not a Labour thing nor a UWP thing ,it is our son of the soil that they mess with .

19. harry
    August 7, 2016 at 10:18 am Reply

Didn’t Hillarie make him captain in the first place of course he will be disappointed.

20. harry
    August 7, 2016 at 10:22 am Reply

How will St. Lucians boycott the Sammy Stadium when they don’t attend test cricket. That ground is always empty.

August 7, 2016 at 10:40 am Reply

We have to understand that’s right after the T20 World Cup semi made some comments which I agreed with you but I told people from the time he made those comments he would have been sacked they laughed at me see what it is now the West Indies cricket board you have nothing bad to say about them or you’ll suffer the penalties see what they have done to all other West Indies cricket players who stood up to them I am not sure I knew it was coming but I suppose I may fall that he has done for the West Indies and don’t bend to their will

22. Jayo
    August 7, 2016 at 11:40 am Reply

August 8, 2016 at 9:00 am Reply

24. vendetta
    August 8, 2016 at 6:51 pm Reply

These wibc ppl b in their feelings… dat was a personal attack… talk abt letting ur emotions cloud ur judgement…

August 9, 2016 at 1:11 pm Reply

i think they select the best team the wrong captain.. i think pollard should be the captain..

26. Mark Philogene
    August 9, 2016 at 5:13 pm Reply

I am a St. Lucian living in Germany.Right now I’m watching game and I’m very disapointed about the lack support.I know lots of St. Lucian are angry about the Darren Sammy was treated including myself, but boycoting the game is not the right way to make your voice heard.West Indies has a very young team playing against one of the best team in the world. We St. lucians have to show the World that we Love our Darren but we also Love our Cricket.Dont forget Lucians not often we get the chance to host a Test Match.