Dress code for visiting government building unconstitutional?

Dress code for visiting government building unconstitutional?

Former President of the National Consumers Association, Kingsley St Hill, has asserted that a new dress code announced Monday for visitors to the Greaham Louisy Administrative Building, is unconstitutional.

St Hill told the Times that”law abiding” citizens and journalists should challenge it.

He explained that he could understand the need for security at the building, requiring the presentation of identification cards upon entry.

St Hill said that in the event of a fire or other emergency, there would be need to account for everyone who enters the building.

However the former Consumer Association President declared that indicating what clothing should be worn is an infringement on the rights of people.

“I could see some tourist coming in there from the boat and they want to transact some business – how can you tell them that they are not properly clad?” St Hill remarked.

He observed that the new dress code reminded him of a cabinet conclusion relating to smoking in public places.

“I don’t know how anyone can insist that  I cannot go to the Land Registry with my catapult and my short pants and you will tell me as a Saint Lucian I cannot go there and inquire about my land – my family land? That’s a no go. You may need identification to know who I am – that I understand, but you cannot tell me I can’t come in there,” St Hill asserted.

He said the Land Registry is a public place – an open space.

According to the former NCA official, the dress requirement is unconstitutional.

“We see people half naked on the road for carnival – that is a public place; we see people on the beach – that is a public place; they’re in their bikinis and their short pants and nobody gets offended,” St Hill told the Times.

He stated that if the idea is to screen individuals in an effort to prevent crime, all that is needed is for a visitor to identify him or herself as the person they say they are.

“If they want to enhance security they could even put video cameras,” St Hill said.

St Hill told the Times it might only be a matter of time before the banks forbid customers to wear “catapults” and halter tops.

He said:

“You will tell the tourists that  are coming here that want to change their money in the bank that they cannot come in there – they must have a jacket and tie to visit the bank?”

Declaring that such a requirement would be wrong, St Hill expressed the view that law abiding citizens need to fight the new government requirement as to appropriate dress for visiting the Greaham Louisy Administrative Building.

He called on “those advocacy journalists” and journalists who want to see things right to take on the issue.

The Department of the Public Service yesterday announced that with immediate effect, a dress code  has been activated for visitors to the Greaham Louisy Administrative Building.

Bandanas, du-rags, halter tops, spaghetti straps, tank tops, cropped or open back tops that expose one’s bare back or midriff, outrageously short shorts, skirts or dresses, t-shirts with offensive words, and visible underwear are not allowed, the Department of the Public Service statement said.

Additionally,  it advised members of the public that national identification cards (IDs) must be presented to gain entry into the Greaham Louisy Administrative Building, as there has been a spate of incidents where members of the public fake their identity in order to access public officers or officials within the building.

August 30, 2016 at 5:11 pm Reply

That’s what they voted for. Change is here. Take it

2. Uncle Sejay
    August 30, 2016 at 5:18 pm Reply

Pay la wii change ia good and if u not happy with the change slp supports toof hahaha I’m happy with the dress code u’ll slp supports like dress like u’ll going to a club or sum

1. That's a lie
      August 30, 2016 at 5:35 pm Reply

Uncle sejay you are an idiot…only SLP supporters dress inadecuately?…Imbecil….I hope is not the same people that voted not the ones who will be left out!!!
      Smh…no one will prevent me from entering ….I know my constitutional rights!!! I smell a serious lawsuit!

August 30, 2016 at 5:51 pm Reply

well st.lucians…now is the time to show what you are capable of. Challenge the government on this policy. Take it up in a court of law. who among you is brave enough to take it on?

4. Sad-But-True
    August 30, 2016 at 6:29 pm Reply

Dance dance dance dance Dance for Mas-sa,. Dance dance dance dance dance for Mas-sa. Lol Your UWP White Mas-sa is tightening the No-ose.
    Kai~Tan!

August 30, 2016 at 7:15 pm Reply

A dress code seems to be ok

1. ANY
      August 30, 2016 at 8:10 pm Reply

It is discrimination of the highest order! lets say I go to Castries and I live in VF. suddenly I need to urgently transact business at that building. Do I have to go buy a long sleve or a buttoned shirt? Are you saying that I must walk with a change of clothing at all times or go back home to return to Castries another day? Where are the public spirited lawyers on this one?

August 30, 2016 at 11:23 pm Reply

Perhaps the Graham Louisy Building will have changing rooms and “emergency clothes” on the ground floor for situations like yours. LOL.
        As a form of protest, persons with valid ID should enter the building and then “dress down” once inside the building.

6. life sweet
    August 30, 2016 at 8:30 pm Reply

As if i did not see “formal wear” in this article. it clearly defined what was not allowed.
    a simple jeans pants and a t shirt could do.. lighten up ppl. who wants to conduct business with panty and bra…lol
    That former NCA president… is this all u have to share in the news, u never made news in ur time as president, says a lot

August 30, 2016 at 10:25 pm Reply

O my therr are more important issue to deal with than dress code, come on mr.allan you can do better than this. Is that y the blind and deaf voted for you. Choooopppsssss man.

8. Mr. Viper
    August 31, 2016 at 5:44 am Reply

All the man does is travel on tax payers money

9. kitten
    August 31, 2016 at 5:50 am Reply

I don’t have a problem if the person is dressed extravagantly inappropriate then fine! Yesterday I witness a poor middle age woman trying to access the building. She was wearing a long dress with spaghetti straps! Poor lady was turned down. To make it worse she was coming from FVort. Now tell me, was that really necessary. In my opinion, they could have allowed her.

August 31, 2016 at 1:23 pm Reply

you are such a liar

10. lovina
    August 31, 2016 at 9:38 am Reply

The biggest and highest criminals are those dressed with suits and tie.

11. humble
    August 31, 2016 at 10:00 am Reply

The dress code has always been there. just not enforced

August 31, 2016 at 10:18 am Reply

If it has always been there and not enforced I trust the guilty people have been disciplined as well. After all the dress code cannot enforce itself. I believe this should be widely publicized so public is sencitized and can follow through accordingly.

13. lovina
    August 31, 2016 at 10:44 am Reply

Excuses, excuses, for implementing dress code, what is it they are afraid of? as a man leaveth so he dies. Again I say the criminals wear suits.

14. Soufriere
    August 31, 2016 at 11:15 am Reply

It is sad to hear some people who should know better make rules and regulations sound impossible, it is high time that we learn how to dress appropriately we st lucians have no dress code every where you go they don’t know how to dress properly .Let us put some manners and respect in ourselves there is a place and time for each kind of dressing it sounds right to start somewhere let’s build back our pride and dignity in ourselves as statistics lucians with moral and respect