Guyanese horror story at Barbados airport

Guyanese horror story at Barbados airport

KAIETEUR NEWS:– In the wake of recent allegations by a Jamaican of mistreatment at the hands of immigration officers while detained at Barbados’ Grantley Adams Airport, a pregnant Guyanese has said she suffered similar handling Tuesday.

Five months pregnant Annecia Ariel Alfred said she was denied entry into the island because officers believed that she was going to work without a permit, but was made to sit on a bench for some 12 hours while awaiting a return flight to Guyana.

Alfred who had visited Barbados earlier this year, and spent time with a relative who is resident on the island, had traveled from Guyana with the relative’s two Barbadian children, whom she was returning to Barbados after their holiday.

She explained to Kaieteur News that the intention was to spend Christmas with her relative in Barbados before flying back home, then to join her husband in the USA.

But immigration officers doubted Alfred’s story and accused her of seeking to enter Barbados for a job.

“I explained that I never worked a day in my life, and asked why would I leave Guyana to come and work here with a big belly,” Alfred said she told the Immigration officers.

She said, nonetheless, “They gave me a letter saying I was denied entry was because of a work permit”.

The Barbadian children were allowed to go with their mother

Alfred, who had arrived on an 8:10 flight, said she was then resigned to her fate and was looking towards the midday flight back to Guyana, as the immigration officers had assured her.

But then her horror story began.

She did not leave at noon, but boarded a flight for departure at 8:20 pm Tuesday night.

“I was sitting one place in a cold place for hours,” she said, and explained, “with the iron handle chairs you can’t lie down or put up your feet, and you can’t leave the room”.

“I went into the bathroom and cried. I feel like I gon lose this child”.

She said that with the exception of a vending machine with snacks, there was nothing for her to eat.

She eventually got a tuna sandwich because of the care of one immigration officer.

“I was offered one sandwich from a kindhearted immigration woman. She was passing me there all day and when she realised I was there all day she decided to ask me if I had anything to eat and she asked me if I would like a sandwich.”

Alfred’s recollection of her treatment at the Barbadian airport bore a strong resemblance to that of a Jamaican woman, Sonya King, who along with her 14-month-old child was refused entry.

King had arrived on August 27 from Trinidad, where she was living with her husband. She was made to sit and wait for hours following her denial of entry into the island.

According to King, when she complained of being hungry, officers pointed her to the vending machine, because the food court was closed.

Her baby also had to endure hours in wet pampers.

But on September 01, the Office of the Prime Minister, that is responsible for defence and Security, issued a statement clearing immigration officers of any wrongdoing.

“An investigation was carried out by the Division of Defence and Security, Prime Minister’s Office, the Ministry responsible for Immigration, and no evidence could be found to substantiate the charges of mistreatment as alleged,” the statement read in part.

1. PAUL LACNY
    September 10, 2016 at 10:31 pm Reply

BAD REATMENT TO THEE LADY. SHAME, SHAME ON THE CUSTOM CHAPS.

1. june
      October 1, 2016 at 1:21 pm Reply

Wish we had customs like barbados God I wish. She wanted her baby to born in barbados it is a racket guyanese use but bajans know dem good. Jamaicans trying it dem bajans on to dem to. Dem use the barbados born children to travel back and fourth to barbados. caricom people should stop giving bajans blame dem guyanese people have bigger country than barbados. This has got to stop to much sympathy is giving to guyanese and jamaicans you never read bajans going to guyana for vocation or trafficking drugs. She never work a day in her life her own words. Dem need to leave the bajans country.

2. An OECS national
    September 10, 2016 at 11:15 pm Reply

It is a fact that CARICOM nationals get the worst treatment in Barbados because of the xenophobic and ultra-nationalistic nature of Bajan officials.
    Barbados is for Bajans so if you visit that Atlantic island (though in the West Indies it is not a Caribbean country because it is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean) make sure you hurry home to the Caribbean.
    Unfortunately because it is the location of LIAT’s hub many OECS nationals are forced to transit through there during which time they experience endless horrors. Ralph knows what he is talking about.

3. 666
    September 11, 2016 at 1:24 am Reply

Bajans are the Coucou-maniocs of CARICOM.

4. Sad-But-True
    September 11, 2016 at 4:03 am Reply

This is the work of an efficient Immigration Department. We need to take note in SLU. We allow too many Caricom Nationals / foreign here who just seem to disappear.

5. Nanci
    September 11, 2016 at 8:46 am Reply

Very bad treatment, so what I would do if I were you, I would travel to my husband in the US, get my documents to travel, and then come to Barbados. What’s they gonna do then, you will be a US resident, they can’t do s…. And to talk about your big belly, that’s natures fault not yours. I guess they were not in a belly when they got conceived.

6. Nanci
    September 11, 2016 at 8:50 am Reply

Very unprofessional customs workers, who always striking for better treatment, but can’t extend good and humane treatment. You don’t need to be highly educated to be a customs officer. Just travel to the US, and get your documents, and back to Barbados, and then write them a letter saying, look at me now, b…..es.

7. Nanci
    September 11, 2016 at 8:57 am Reply

I knew a kid who came to Barbados from the US, but he forgot the name of the person he was staying with, he had to go to a room to await the person picking him up, he got good treatment, he got water, was able to walk around, even go outside the airport. Some Jamaicans were in the same room, but their treatment was horrible. The kid felt very bad for them. So get your resident card when u go to the US, and be back to Barbados slaying.

1. I Said It!
      September 11, 2016 at 10:05 am Reply

Barbadians even treat each other the same way. But will smile for white Visitors at the airport all the time. Barbadians are House-Slaves!

8. Aa
    September 11, 2016 at 3:10 pm Reply

Aa fool

9. tc
    September 11, 2016 at 5:49 pm Reply

They know y they treat them that way. Guyanese and jamaicans operate like rats. One come and when they get food. Many more start coming. So I eh blame them . Good for u barbados. The ones that cannot do nothing for the ppl territory that coming.

1. Sackawinkie
      September 11, 2016 at 6:27 pm Reply

So, so, sad to hear this from “tc”.

The truth is, it just could be all family members: I say this because, a very long time ago, whole communities were rounded up in Africa; entire families; “the slave trade!” Got separated as the slave ships, started dropping them of, as they went through the islands: yes; we were S E P A R A T E D, from families. Just think, it could very well be a family member.. Treat others, as you would like to be treated; we just do not know where we are going to end up! How would you like to be treated then!

10. tc
    September 11, 2016 at 5:51 pm Reply

It’s time we start to treat these ppl like that as well. Train our immigration officers to be like them. Then we would not have these foreigners here . Good

September 11, 2016 at 5:52 pm Reply

If you don’t like Bajans then don’t go to Barbados. Every country does the same.

12. The Commentator
    September 11, 2016 at 6:29 pm Reply

She should return to Barbados when she is eight and a half months pregnant and go into labour on the airport. Let us see how the Bajans will welcome a new baby (and Bajan citizen) of Guyanese descent. Will they refuse to give the child a Barbados birth certificate?

13. Courtney
    September 12, 2016 at 3:31 pm Reply

(Expression removed) the Bajns. they dont like dark skin anyway .