Sightseers impeding work of essential services after Matthew

Sightseers impeding work of essential services after Matthew

Local authorities have appealed to citizens to stay at home despite an all clear being issued today after the passage of Tropical Storm Matthew.

According to the authorities, sightseers are hindering the work of the essential services in clearing blocked roads and restoring power lines.

Prime Minister Allen Chastanet, speaking earlier on HTS Radio, appealed to citizens to stay off the roads and allow the emergency services to do their job.

Chastanet, who is currently overseas, disclosed that he is making arrangements to return home today.

He said he had not received any reports of fatalities.

However the Prime Minister said he had been informed of damage to the farming community.

Chastanet promised that an assessment will be made in the agriculture sector as soon as possible.

He described as “very disappointing” reports that some persons had taken advantage of the emergency to commit burglaries.

Chastanet mentioned Dennery and Castries in particular.

Several areas that were without electricity have had their service restored.

A statement from the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) said that George F.L Charles airport was scheduled to reopen as of 8.00 hours on Thursday while Hewanorra International airport was scheduled to reopen at 10.00 hours.

According to NEMO, over 130 persons were accommodated in shelters with some having returned to their homes.

The Barre de Lisle, which had experienced blockage due to fallen trees, was being cleared.

Persons have reported a number of fallen power lines and trees in communities throughout the Island.

The Ministry of Infrastructure reported that its crews are concentrating now on clearing the principal roadways.

There were reports that some areas of the Soufriere to Vieux Fort road were impassable, with the road from Thomazo to Castries being passable after the Thomazo bridge was cleared.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply