Fresh start to Soufriere Square Re-Development

Fresh start to Soufriere Square Re-Development

Press Release:-On July 28, Prime Minister of Saint Lucia Honourable Allen M. Chastanet called for a stoppage of works at the Soufriere Town Square pending a review of the re-development project.

After a few months of deliberation by the Government, a fresh start for the Soufriere Square was announced on Monday, November 7 by Senator Fortuna Belrose, Minister with responsibility for the Ministry of Culture and Local Government.

Senator Belrose said the tendering process will be re-opened to contractors in due course. Meanwhile, all payments will be settled with the previous contractor: “In keeping with the new policy direction of the Government, the Soufriere Town Council Square Project has been terminated because there is a new policy direction with respect to where we are headed with Soufriere. It is necessary for us to redesign the project to integrate the new areas that the Government of Saint Lucia feels is necessary, to be able to achieve the goals that we want within the community of Soufriere.”

The multi- million dollar project, Senator Belrose said must align with and strengthen the historical and tourism product that the town offers: “The critical thing for us is the use of arts, culture and heritage traditions of Soufriere to accelerate a regeneration of the area. Soufriere is our touristic capital and what we want to do is to ensure that when people come to Soufriere, they feel that it is so from the onset. Our vision is that Soufriere will become the Garden of Eden of the Caribbean.”

The project which was originally financed by the Embassy of China (Taiwan) will start afresh in the New Year – 2017. Member of Parliament for Soufriere Honourable Herod Stanislaus endorsed the project, stating that residents of Soufriere are looking forward to the transformation of the picturesque town in order to achieve strategic economic gains.

Related Articles

1 Comment

  1. Tony O'rilla
    December 2, 2016 at 11:48 am Reply

    So why not reveal what the actual development plans are? This article says nothing. This whole project has been a political football and so far it has gone nowhere. The area doesn’t look like no Garden of Eden. That’s marketing hype. It looks like a disaster area. It’s likely a year will go by and nothing will happen. Meanwhile the whole thing is an eyesore and a big clog for traffic. Shame on the leaders.

Leave a Reply

Shares