Press Release:-Castries Saint Lucia, Tuesday, 29 November 2016: Raise Your Voice Saint Lucia Inc.: In recognition of the #16Days of Activism against genderbased violence, which began on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women and Girls and continues until International Human Rights Day on December 10th, we continue to confront a serious rape crisis in Saint Lucia.
This year’s theme “Raise Money to End Violence Against Women & Girls” is in keeping with our efforts as we raise funds to establish a rape crisis centre to provide support, legal and victims aid and advocacy services for victims and survivors of rape and sexual assault.
Last year Raise Your Voice Saint Lucia Inc. hosted a march to raise awareness on Domestic Violence, Rape, Child Abuse & Lack of Access to Swift Justice and delivered a Declaration for Action to the Government of Saint Lucia to undertake the following:
1. Review & Enact OECS Family Law Bills & amend specific pieces of legislation to ensure parity among women and children;
2. Build the capacity of the Justice System i.e. Police, Office of the Director of Public Prosecution and the Courts to better solve crime and bring swift justice to victims;
3. Establishment a permanent Hall of Justice;
4. Re-commission the Forensic Laboratory;
5. Establish a shelter for victims of sexual assault; In our continued efforts to support women and girls who are victims of rape and sexual violence we have partnered with Global Giving to establish a Rape Crisis Center.
The fundraising drive begins on Tuesday November 29th , 2016. We urge everyone to contribute as sexual assault knows no bounds in terms of age, gender, sexual orientation, income level, or location.
Log onto our website www.ryvslu.org and click on the globalgiving.org icon and donate as little or as much as you can towards this very important cause