German tourist attacked in Castries

German tourist attacked in Castries

A German tourist was attacked by three young thugs today, Tuesday, December 13, 2016, as she walked near the Castries Market.

Brigitte Glover told the Times she was walking  near the market after disembarking from the cruise vessel – Costa Magica, when three young men attacked her.

“They ripped my bag and they dragged me on the ground with my bag,” she recalled.

The German tourist said she let the bag go and the young criminals ripped her camera off her arm before running off.

She sustained a cut near her elbow and wiped away the blood with a rag.

There was also dirt on her clothing.

german-tourist-bridgitte-glover-2

Glover said the trio  who attacked her got nothing of any value to them personally.

She disclosed that they made off with her sunglasses, an umbrella and an ‘old’ camera worth about twenty dollars.

However she lamented that all the photos of her cruise were in the device.

“All the cruise I cannot look at again,” Glover lamented.

She told the Times that she still had her money and her telephone with her.

“They got nothing – they’re stupid,” Glover declared.

The German tourist said:

“I told them ‘give me my camera -please, you see the camera has a rubber band, please it is not worth it for you, it is worth it for me’.”

But Glover told the Times the young men did not listen.

She said her mother, who accompanied her on the cruise,  had told her to stay on the ship because it was not safe to disembark in Castries.

“I told her ah what, I can go I am a big girl – but look, she was right,” Glover stated.

She revealed that other tourists were also attacked.

Glover said criminals ripped  a gold chain from the neck of a male visitor.

“Now his neck is hurting,” she told the Times.

She said having heard of the incident with the gold chain, she had left her credit card on board the cruise ship.

It was Glover’s first visit to Saint Lucia.

A local man who saw the attack on the German visitor told the Times the three young men had brushed past him.

He said although he was wearing a ‘big’ gold chain, the thugs paid him no mind.

According to the local, after the trio passed, he heard a woman scream.

He said when he looked around he saw the  lone female visitor being attacked.

The man said he shouted to the attackers: “What are you doing to the lady?”

He told the Times the thugs responded by hurling expletives and threats at him, while challenging him to intervene.

The man said he shoved his hand in his pocket to give the appearance of having a weapon and ran behind the fleeing criminals but at a fairly safe distance, because he had nothing to defend himself with in the event of a confrontation.

He recalled that two of the attackers wore red shirts and another was wearing a blue shirt.

“Young fellows, very young fellow that did that,” the eyewitness told the Times.

He said none of them wore masks.

“If a police was right there with me I was making them arrest them right there.” the eyewitness declared.

Taxi drivers and others at La Place Carenage where the tourist made a report, expressed outrage at the incident and concern that police officers were nowhere to be seen at the time of the incident at about 5 pm.

1. Cabaca
    December 13, 2016 at 8:46 pm Reply

Police on holidays. Smh.

1. mel
      December 13, 2016 at 9:20 pm Reply

I guess they were still at the ball

December 13, 2016 at 11:26 pm Reply

Stop blaming the police
      They do not force the crimminals to do crime

December 14, 2016 at 1:59 am Reply

We pay them to deter criminals, therefore their absence in a hot spot on a such a day gives crime the opportunity. Always remember criminals are opportunist.

1. Emy
          December 14, 2016 at 8:33 am Reply

I agree with you fully…a cruise ship in the harbor, there should be police men walking the streets especially where this took place

December 14, 2016 at 4:59 am Reply

I thought I heard on the news of extra police presence. On holidays you don’t see police anywhere

December 14, 2016 at 7:06 am Reply

think the mayor needs to put his boots on the ground he busy havin mayor parade.

December 13, 2016 at 8:49 pm Reply

Wow wow wow come on guys stop that mess

3. JCW
    December 13, 2016 at 8:49 pm Reply

There has been countless incidents like this over the last few months and yet there are no police patrolling the market area especially when cruise ships are on the harbour

4. ismethatknow
    December 13, 2016 at 8:55 pm Reply

conway or grave yard man

December 13, 2016 at 9:38 pm Reply

Wam to grass st n slums n marchard man n they still hv more👀 yall quick too judge shut up fool

December 13, 2016 at 9:01 pm Reply

No one is going to want to get off those ships anymore!!!

December 13, 2016 at 9:05 pm Reply

It is of grave situation we all are facing. We have to clean my up our police force it is time we have a regional force. Secondly we need as a people to understand we see something say some thing. I have often made reports only to find they want to know name where I live. So sad for the German tourist. I wish I could wave a magic wand make things right. But that little incident will so damage to the whole industry.

December 13, 2016 at 9:54 pm Reply

Our police force don’t care. Our tax dollars going to waste. Recently, I called Beat and Patrol unit for a noise violation in town. Corporal on duty indicated that it shouldn’t be them doing that. Why can’t x-people stop the noise. Funny enough, the perp was on the public roads yet a corporal is suggesting a private company go stop a crime. Called sometime before that, the lady on duty indicated that the man was just earning a living. Yet he was violating all noise laws. That’s our police for you. Work hard to pay taxes, yet we can’t get them to do their jobs.

December 13, 2016 at 9:06 pm Reply

It’s so sad to hear about these incidents. Our little island is becoming less safe for both locals and visitors. What a shame ! I’m so disappointed! I hope that the proper authorities take this matter very seriously and that they act quickly .

8. local
    December 13, 2016 at 9:08 pm Reply

this is really sad… a very sad first impression of st.lucians … we are not all the same!

9. Mary
    December 13, 2016 at 9:11 pm Reply

I can honestly say I was treated with respect and kindness when I visited St. Lucia.

It is a beautiful place you will want to visit.

December 13, 2016 at 9:18 pm Reply

its time to clean that police force the lady first time here and this is what she has as memories , shame on these useless (Word deleted) there should be police patrolling there when the ship gets there….😡😡😡😡

December 13, 2016 at 9:21 pm Reply

12. Goyim
    December 13, 2016 at 9:33 pm Reply

So sorry to hear about these experiences with our local chimps. I would never get off a ship to roam Castries and I happen to live here. I hope the chimp gets a head shot from an undercover cop next time. Bing back opperation restore confidence! No one misses and should defend these wild apes.

1. Yee no not
      December 13, 2016 at 10:13 pm Reply

go to new York or Rio or London where there is no crime , the rednecks wud kick yurr (Word deleted) right back cuz they ehh want u in their country. Assuming u are not one

13. Noreply
    December 13, 2016 at 9:43 pm Reply

Like I always say…when you are a visitor you walk in groups when you go on tour.
    Why would you want to go walking along streets you don’t know?
    People get robbed all over the world, however it becomes your responsibility to be safe no matter how ‘safe’ someone says it is.

14. Faizal Hossen
    December 13, 2016 at 10:38 pm Reply

Melbourne, Australia. So sad and bad. Police should do their job and catch the offenders. Island of St Lucia is dependent on tourism. Authority should not allow a few to destroy the good name of St Lucia as a tourist destination. The authority should take their responsibilities, other this will keep on increasing. St Lucia deserves better.

15. Tired
    December 14, 2016 at 12:09 am Reply

You people need to stop blaming police they cannot be everywhere. It’s a shame what a country that’s dependent on tourism is coming to. Some of these parents are the first ones who need to take blame. God help us

December 14, 2016 at 2:28 am Reply

Ohhhhh. Was it Kenny who did that? Is it Kenny who is doing that? I miss Kenny.
    Allen!!!!!!!!!!! Take your crown

December 14, 2016 at 6:39 am Reply

We need to take this thing more seriously and leave the politics out,let look at it sa st Lucia and st Lucian’s..

December 14, 2016 at 6:36 am Reply

When I pass through Castries yesterday made a comment, why is our government spending so much money to get tourists down here and when they do get down here they do nothing to protect them,well that also includes our citizens as well,tourist walking all over no police on patrol, yesterday being a holiday streets empty,was a site to see..with two ships in port shops closed the people was walking all over we need more police patrol on the streets to protect our visitors and citizens as well..

1. Unfortunate circumstance
      December 14, 2016 at 7:22 am Reply

Why is it everything is government? Every single St. Lucian should feel responsible. We as citizens has a role to play. This is our island, our tourist industry. Do not pray for bad to happen because it is we as St. Lucians who will suffer as a result. Therefore, be wise and let us take reponsibility to what happens here in St. Lucia and stop the blaming game. We are StLucians. Let’s be smart!

18. Kage
    December 14, 2016 at 7:08 am Reply

Where are the Cameras! Cameras! Cameras !-

19. Unfortunate circumstance
    December 14, 2016 at 7:16 am Reply

Please instruct vistors when they visit the islands that they should walk with someone else, especially if they are new to the island. This is not an isolated incident; this could have taken place any where in the world. Avoid making oneself vunerable. Two is better than one, grouping is wisdom. Yes, this is an unfortunate situation but please exercise wisdom at all times

December 14, 2016 at 7:40 am Reply

St Lucians, you are slowly but surely destroying your tourist trade. I am white and on occasions experience open racism from individuals. Just a few incidents from a few individuals leaves a lasting bad impression. I also experience and witness persistent and aggressive selling, again by a few individuals on the streets. This really puts foreign visitors from walking the streets. I appreciate that it is a few destroying the once good image, for the vast majority. On another subject there was a stabbing in public on Reduit beach, by the Rex, a few days ago. Witnessed by a beach full of cruise ship tourists. Need I say more?

1. denise
      December 14, 2016 at 11:49 am Reply

I agree

December 14, 2016 at 5:55 pm Reply

Don’t be so dramatic. These things were going on in the 70s even worse than now it’s nothing new. We are not here to put on a good show for you and people will always come to St Lucia because it is beautiful.

21. Citizen
    December 14, 2016 at 7:50 am Reply

Yee No Not, have you been to London, New York or Rio? Maybe not. Well just listen to CNN and hear how people are slashed in subways and robbed. Crime is everywhere but it loks like too much for a little island like ours . There should be more police presence especially on days when there are cruise ships in the harbour. I see tourists with chains and tell them to go back to the ship and leave their valuables there. There are a group of thieves walking around with red tshirts in a group. It really is time that a few get shot because sooner or later we will not see the tourists walking past the wharf.

December 14, 2016 at 9:41 am Reply

let me tell u guys something… when you go overseas don’t you get mug.? These tourists always want ot take risks with their lives. They will not even do this (Word deleted) in their own country. You tell me you believe this crap that st lucia is paradise . crap man

23. #Peacemaker
    December 14, 2016 at 9:43 am Reply

Crime may be prevalent in the metropolitan countries but tourism is not their bread and butter.

Purposeful investment must be made to promote and protect the tourism industry and that includes dealing justly with those who impact it negatively.

December 14, 2016 at 10:16 am Reply

We can’t keep comparing a metropolitan city with millions with the St.Lucian situation. That is just plan ridiculous! Energies used coming up with excuses would be much better spent finding solutions!

25. st Lucian at heart
    December 14, 2016 at 10:26 am Reply

I realize that our administration has very little interest in cruise ship tourism. They are more concern with stay over tourism. Because of this not much effort is put into making sure that these tourists are safe.
    Mr Fedee you are not doing enough and the real minister shame on you.
    You all are aware of the arrival of all the vessels to enter our shores so make arrangement for the safety of the people.
    Listers Francis both of you are not fit for the job that you all do. A fail make for both mayor and minister.
    Your your brother served with distinction but aware for both of you.

26. denise
    December 14, 2016 at 11:47 am Reply

this is very sad due that tourist industry is not doing very well these past few months. it will not be getting better if tourist is not safe to visit. I have visit St.Lucia and I was lucky as I felt safe. you have a beautiful country that needs some direction so that you tourist industry will continue to grow. as Canadian I look forward to my next visit and this just makes aware to be cautious.

December 14, 2016 at 12:53 pm Reply

The police does deserve some of the blame ,there should always be hyped up police presence wen ever there are cruise ships are in port. As for those parasites looking to suck the life out of st lucia, I say kill them all. Cause the fail to realize W at they doing is only making rings worse for the country

28. unknown
    December 14, 2016 at 12:53 pm Reply

this is really not good for our vendors in the vendors arcade and our taxi drivers. I’ve heard them complain that the ppl dont get down the cruise ship and this is the reason for it. it is amazing that the lady mother told her it is not safe to embark in castries. that means that our name is not good on the international market and i am of the view that when ever the tourist season is open the police presence should be felt by every individual in Castries. Already our tourism industry not even doing that well and to have these little idiots around.

29. 666
    December 14, 2016 at 1:25 pm Reply

What is the big-mouth mayor now?

1. 666
      December 14, 2016 at 3:15 pm Reply

*saying

30. Eagles Eye
    December 14, 2016 at 3:36 pm Reply

Those disgruntled persons who keep on passing the blame for the current situation in St. Lucia about crime from Kenny to Allen should realise and be fair that Allen was recently elected to office and inherited a situation of crime from since the last administration. Can a third degree cancer be cured? If the question is understood be fair and admit the truth.

December 14, 2016 at 5:58 pm Reply

Castries is so damn ugly and boring why would tourists even want to stop there I am from the south and I hate to go there they need to make the place nice for Lucians and tourists

32. Dacobs
    December 14, 2016 at 6:37 pm Reply

No one is passing the reason for the crime situation in St Lucia from no one to no one Eagle Eye. I will say this however since you want to refer to the past to find the reason I want to remind you of a very important thing. The reason we have this very ugly IMPACS is because of the very bad crime situation under King’s watch. The crime situation was so bad it had UWP running out of ideas to the extent that out of desperation it initiated ORC. Stop laying everything wrong with the Island at the door of SLP and KDA. UWP have questions to answer to!