Pop Stars snub Donald Trump

BBC:-Reports from the US suggest Donald Trump is struggling to find A-list stars to perform at his inauguration. We asked the stars of the BBC Music Awards what it would take to get them to play.

When President Barack Obama was inaugurated in 2009, he was serenaded by Beyonce and Aretha Franklin.

During his stay in the White House, he’s had audiences with the likes of Rihanna, James Taylor and Kendrick Lamar.

Donald Trump might not be so lucky.

According to US news website The Wrap, Trump’s inaugural committee is scrambling to find stars who are willing to play at his swearing in ceremony on 20 January 2017.

“They’re calling managers, agents, everyone in town to see who they can get and it’s been problematic,” an unnamed source told the site.

Grammy-winner John Legend, who has been a guest of the Obamas several times, says he is “not surprised at all”.

“Creative people tend to reject bigotry and hate,” he told the BBC.

“We tend to be more liberal-minded. When we see somebody that’s preaching division and hate and bigotry, it’s unlikely he’ll get a lot of creative people that want to be associated with him.”

“I would never do it,” agrees Swedish star Zara Larsson, speaking at the BBC Music Awards.

“A lot of artists out there have been very pro-Hillary and anti-Donald. So I would never do it and most other smart people wouldn’t do it.”

Despite their reservations, Trump’s campaign appeared to have scored a victory last month, when they announced one A-list star would be taking part in the celebrations.

Elton John is going to be doing our concert on the mall,” said Anthony Scaramucci, a member of the presidential inaugural committee, claiming that Mr Trump would be the first president to enter the White House with a pro-gay stance.

But almost as soon as the comments were made, Sir Elton issued a strongly-worded rebuttal.

“Incorrect. He will NOT be performing,” wrote his publicist, making liberal use of the caps lock key. “There is no truth in this at all.”

Since then, the names bandied around have been much lower-profile – from rap-rock rascal Kid Rock to Achy Breaky country star Billy Ray Cyrus.

However, The Wrap claims Trump’s team is still holding out for a Bruno Mars or Justin Timberlake. The situation has become so critical that they are allegedly breaking with protocol to offer artists an appearance fee.

“They are willing to pay anything,” said their source, suggesting that a six-figure sum would be within reach.

This has been flatly denied by the spokesman for the Presidential Inaugural Committee, Boris Epshteyn, who said “no one with any official position at, or official relationship with, the presidential committee is engaging in the conduct described”.

1 Comment

  1. Terre
    December 14, 2016 at 8:30 pm

    yer but John legend and the rest of the so called A list stars are doing exactly what they claim is so ad. causing division. if they werent so divisive, they would perform and in their performances share a message of unity.. but instead they stand firm in showing that they are against the donald, hence causing DIVISION. wow legend and co. sound like idiots saying their crap.

Shares