Digicel announces local postpaid hike

Digicel announces local postpaid hike

Digicel has announced a ‘small’ increase in postpaid plan subscriptions in Saint Lucia effective February 1, 2017.

In a letter to hundreds of local subscribers, the telecommunications company said the increase has come as a result of increased costs of doing business.

“Over the years, we have made significant investment in our mobile networks to deliver improved coverage, data speeds and call quality. These increases are now necessary to offset the increased costs we continue to incur and importantly, to allow for further investment in providing an overall great experience for all our customers,” the December 30, 2016,  letter said.

Antigua this week reported that as of February 1, 2017, Digicel customers will pay a 5 per cent increase in their postpaid mobile services, while reports out of Barbados indicated that the Irish telecommunications company  had announced a hike in its mobile and data rates for customers there.

In a statement released on its website, the company also said it would no longer to be absorbing the increase in Value Added Tax (VAT), which was implemented by Barbados Government last year.

Digicel’s Saint Lucia Country Manager, Siobhan James-Alexander, told the Times that the company continues to try to provide the best service to its customers and asks for their continued understanding.

The Country Manager reaffirmed Digicel’s commitment to its customers.

James-Alexander explained that Digicel has informed the regulators about the hike and has kept to the guidelines required.

1. The Crow
    January 5, 2017 at 9:19 pm Reply

I will seek to change my provider if I can get a comparable plan.

2. Botty
    January 5, 2017 at 9:22 pm Reply

What the he’ll. Just to go and sponsor everywhere

January 5, 2017 at 9:28 pm Reply

I will reduce the amount of phones on my plan and reduce the amount of calls that I make significantly.

4. concerned
    January 5, 2017 at 9:40 pm Reply

And when you’ve lost your phone, digicel doesn’t help you to find it even though they can trace it? Seriously?

5. Moving on
    January 5, 2017 at 9:43 pm Reply

I will like to announce that I’m talking a hike to digicel. I’m hiking over to the other provider.

6. Us
    January 5, 2017 at 9:59 pm Reply

What they are really saying is: Dear Patrons, WhatsApp has officially eaten into our long term earning projections, we are desperately in need of recouping losses for the continued existence of our aging network, if you don’t mind, we will charge a little more for no change in service quality, long live Dgcel

7. Awah
    January 6, 2017 at 12:39 am Reply

With all that money Digicel making from top up and phone purchases thats what they see to do to their loyal customers smh,just now it seems they will add to the prepaid minutes as well

1. Carol simmons
      January 6, 2017 at 10:03 am Reply

I just checked flow combo plans are better value overall with a stronger network experience.

8. time for change
    January 6, 2017 at 7:23 am Reply

I am changing my number to prepaid.
    Antigua can increase because they were giving the customers many more minutes than st. lucia. They actually got many more benefits than us. we accepted the small packages and now digicel wants to increase. after 13 years of the same (Expression removed) i am changing

January 6, 2017 at 7:45 am Reply

en I Look at it is poor people that paying for it, just dig into your pocket deeper without permission .what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world, and suffer the lost of his own soul.

10. Carol simmons
    January 6, 2017 at 8:38 am Reply

I have to laugh at the regional price increases of this company, and each one of these CEO’s just stating that it’s due to increase costs of doing business, which they were told to say! well this is just poorly managed on their part with not achieving their budget and having to take desperate measures to bring in revenue as competition squeezes them further due to their poor network performances. They have really failed in upgrading a network in time and OTT apps eroding their voice revenues! Time to change from Digicel immediately.

January 6, 2017 at 3:01 pm Reply

I love Digicel’s 2.5 GB data plan for EC$40 per month. Allows me communicate each time the FLOW/LIME broadband does not flow.

1. Carol simmons
      January 6, 2017 at 6:45 pm Reply

It’s $60! On postpaid….

12. Kent gasp
    January 8, 2017 at 8:21 pm Reply

Lol a week and & half ago , it was reported the the parent company has debt 600% higher than their earnings ..so I expected the hike . that’s just he start . Lucian don’t listen news but hearsay .. Lol