Mistaken identity blamed for latest homicide

Mistaken identity has been blamed for Saint Lucia’s latest homicide.

Construction worker, Keegan Rosemond, 24, of Ciceron, was gunned down Saturday morning at around 4:am.

A relative told the Times that Rosemond and others, including his older brother,   had journeyed to Gros Islet to celebrate the the older sibling’s  birthday.

“I was told when they were coming back they stopped by a bar at Marisule,” the relative disclosed.

She said she was told that after leaving the bar, her brother  went across the road to urinate when his companions heard gunshots.

She said Rosemond was found lying on the ground.

According to the relative, the deceased, as far as she knows, had no problems with anyone.

“And I am very close to him,” she declared, adding that if there was a problem she would have known.

The relative said she believed it was a case of mistaken identity.

“I would think so because I don’t know that Keegan was in any gang – nobody wants him, you know, nothing like that,” she explained.

Commenting on the spate of homicides since the beginning of the year, the relative asserted that some persons have no respect for life.

“As far as I am concerned he (Keegan Rosemond) was not part of any gang or anything like that – it came as a shock to everybody,” she said.

The relative told the Times that from the information she received, after the shooting a blue car drove out of the parking lot of the building that is located near the place where Keegan Rosemond had gone to relieve himself.

She told the Times she believes that  when her relative went to relieve himself, his assailants were sitting in the blue vehicle.

“I don’t know if they think he was trying to take out something and they shot him – I don’t know,” she said.

Asked whether the assailants may have mistaken Rosemond for someone else in his car group with whom they had a score to settle, the relative’s response was :”The guys that were in the vehicle were not these kind of people!”

1. spook
    January 14, 2017 at 4:28 pm

No one is safe , not even the innocent, far less the guilty

2. Blessed
    January 14, 2017 at 4:42 pm

From the time I saw his picture I felt it in my spirit that this young man was not involved in any gang life. Gone too soon. Praying for the family. I hope the assailant is captured and brought to justice.

January 15, 2017 at 9:11 am

U cant judge a book by the cover YOU PEOPLE LOVE TO JUDGE. NOT ALL CRIMINALS LOOK HARDCORE MEAN N UGLY CHPZ

3. 666
    January 14, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Well, the Castries mayor did warn the ppl not to pee in public.

1. worried
      January 14, 2017 at 5:04 pm

You make me laugh about not peeing in public .on the real side we are not safe any more not one of us …it’s just so sad.what must the people do .

January 15, 2017 at 9:40 am

The Castries mayor then is the one who shot him. Because he did indicate steep measures will be put in place

4. Jorl-kaka
    January 14, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Whenever u die u never in a gang so lol… but yeh Man U get shot for peeing in public …maybe the rest will learn lol …guns out this morning

1. facts
      January 14, 2017 at 5:47 pm

D man wasn’t involved in nun d man spd was his work a lil lime from time to time n home dem fellers have war with all kinda man but they want to lime and before u move wrong by dem they nervous they eh even. Watching everybody in their ting (Word deleted) dem man takin their ting to far now like Wat (Words deleted) gar

1. 666
        January 14, 2017 at 9:01 pm

@facts…looks like they shot your English as well, it looks dead.

January 14, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Are you saying that it is not possible be a case of mistake in identity? Are you saying that you must be in a gang to be shot?

Ridiculous

5. Just saying
    January 14, 2017 at 6:11 pm

I don’t know what could have triggered this killing but this young man is not one who is known to be in trouble with anyone neither the people with whom he hang around. May his soul rest in peace, I could imagine his family members right now. May God give you strength.

January 14, 2017 at 6:18 pm

its not he involved they didn’t get what they want so he was a easy target its sad.

6. Don't care
    January 14, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Take care is not the police doing that again…Police restore confidence hmmmmm… Is when and if they have to shoot back them we will know

January 14, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Smh. People are not safe anymore so everyone have to stay indoor? Look like someone is mad and anyone who comes around at the right time will get it. Lord help us we pray.

8. wow
    January 14, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Boy I last felt safe when ORC was implemented. 1st homicide was mistaken identity and it seems like more than half of the homicides hv not been the intended target. SMH. I now do home and work and nothing else. I hope I safe in dem 2 places. Things so bad I trying to make sure the vehicle I about to buy is not common, just to avoid mistaken identity. SMBH

9. queen sugar
    January 14, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Trigger practice.

10. Fair helen is crying
    January 14, 2017 at 10:12 pm

So sad we are loosing our young men. Help Lucia father she is in mourning

January 15, 2017 at 12:04 am

Believe it or not,we are leaving in the last days.Those of us who have not turn away from our sinful life and surrender our life to God,should really consider that before we become a victim of… And to those of us who are playing hide and seek with Jesus,pretty soon he’s gonna say: ready or not ,here I come.

11. Jealousy black people's course
    January 15, 2017 at 7:06 am

Most ppl think that if you are killed you must be in a war or gang, but the worst thing is that ppl would kill, or pay to kill you because you have more than they do, you are more liked than they are… Jealousy no one is safe especially if you are progressing.

12. Hmmmmmm
    January 15, 2017 at 7:59 am

Right now even if u eh have war u have to walk with ur strap too cuz u eh safe

January 15, 2017 at 9:08 am

Everything is mistaken identity (Expression deleted)
    1. If u dont no the motive or the shooter HOW CAN YOU CLAIM ITS MISTAKEN IDENTITY
    2. YOU WERE NOT WITH THIS YOUNG MAN EVERY STEP OF HIS DAY OR WEN U LAY UR HEAD TO REST AT NIGHT. YALL NEED TO STOP PUTTIN YALL HANDS IN FIRE.
    3. IF IT WAS MAY HE REST IN PEACE.
    4. MY POINTS WEREN’T TOO MANY BUT EFFECTIVE.

14. Pissed
    January 15, 2017 at 9:35 am

He may not have been in a gang but he was a thief. If memory serves me well he was arrested recently for that

15. mwen fache
    January 15, 2017 at 10:07 am

In alll what that going on in saint lucia right now senseless killings I am sorry to say but they better know that there is a price to pay for everything and I beleive the only way is for the police to launch operation restore confidence cus that was the last tine I remember peace in slu and where is mary francis to beat (Words deleted)…only wen the law take action its human rights.another thing iswen u seee peopld will start doing obeah when a relative Iis killed innocently they will learn its time about time they teach them fellas a lesson

16. Love
    January 15, 2017 at 11:27 am

Three homicides this past few weeks have been labelled as mistaken identity by relatives. I am not saying this can’t be true but alot of the times people have secrets they live a double life and we don’t know. They make drug deals or assist in money laundering. Sometimes we as relatives have no clue the kind of deals they involve in.

17. Mi Little Friend
    January 15, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Rip

18. Saddened
    January 15, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Listen people, indeed at times our family and friends have secret lives that we don’t know about,but we cannot be to quick to judge young men when shot as we don’t know the inside story. I had a dear friend who got killed couple years ago as she was wrong place wrong time and witnessed something she shouldn’t have. Those who didn’t know run their mouth, but family and close friends knew. So let’s wait and see and continue praying for guidance and protection for our sons and daughters and that they stick to the narrow, windy road.

19. Ricky
    January 15, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Is true..he was a thief…thou shall not steal…so he got wat came for him…

20. Courtney
    January 15, 2017 at 6:30 pm

More love and Prayers.

21. B.MW
    January 15, 2017 at 7:57 pm

I watch and cry,woman are the key world wide.stop having children with waste of spacemen.Mothers educate sisters,brothers put down the sword and pick up the pen,the pen is mightier than the sword. I love my people ,I love all people ,Woman you are the key WORLD WIDE.god bless the fallen.Black Brit

January 15, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Gang initiation often involves the killing of the innocent.

January 16, 2017 at 8:30 am

U dont have to b in a gang to get shot u can get shot for informin

24. Stallion
    January 17, 2017 at 6:49 am

Rest in peace my boy. Hard working guy. Shy guy. family be strong.

Gunmen attack Soufriere restaurantRead