PM: No decision yet on Raymond’s future

Prime Minister, Allen Chastanet, has said that no decision has been taken on whether to have Minister in the Ministry of Finance, Doctor Ubaldus Raymond resign.

Raymond was at the centre of a social media firestorm after nude photos,allegedly of him, were leaked.

Excerpts of a alleged WhatsApp conversations between Raymond and a teenage female  were also  posted on social media.

Events took a dramatic turn when an eighteen year old student of Sir Arthur Lewis Community College was arrested and charged with blackmailing the minister and was granted bail in the sum of $10,000 when she appeared in court.

At about  the same time Raymond issued a statement declaring among other things, that he would not be bullied.

The Prime Minister told reporters today that there is a pending investigation and a court matter.

“As soon as the details are available to me and I can make a decision we will make that decision, but up until now I have to allow the court to take its process,” he said.

“I think it is very unfortunate and again it is very easy to connect dots but it is something that  unfortunately, and I say very unfortunately, that this is not new. We have seen it repeat itself many times and so different countries have handled the situation very differently,  but right now it is a matter that is in the  courts – there is a pending investigation and I think it would be premature on my part or anybody’s part to jump to conclusions until the evidence comes out,” the Prime Minister told reporters today.

He said:

“Once the evidence comes out we will then react to it.”

Asked whether he anticipates any distractions as Raymond carries out his duties while the investigation is taking place, Chastanet said:

” There have certainly been no distractions on my part because I am very clear as to what I have to wait for – I can’t rush to judgement, I have to wait to see what the situation is, so there is no point trying to cross the bridge before you get to it.”

He said Raymond has been coming to work ‘very diligently’ .

“We have not seen any distractions in that regard, but certainly we will keep our eye on it,” the Prime Minister said.

1. Tee
    January 23, 2017 at 4:31 pm

There are two separate issues here. The case of alleged blackmail is in the hands of the court and should be left there until it is resolved. The other issue is whether the minister was sexually involved with an 18 year old student. All the Prime minister has to do is ask the minister a straight question. If the reply is yes, I don’t see how the minister can be allowed to stay in his post.

January 23, 2017 at 4:58 pm

YEA1YEA1 The AYES have it on that one

January 23, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Ummm, Age of consent is 16 so no crime there. Making bom, however, if it can be proven is an issue. Then the issue of adultery and his wife. Polls show that he should resign. I am no moral authority on anything but seems hypocritical to ask the man to resign when such actions are rife throughout society and in the political circles. How many outside kids did Compton have? The actions of politicians reflect the will of the populace generally.

January 29, 2017 at 4:45 pm

What u people should be taking for the girl so u telling me That the prime minister telling me that he don’t not he can’t have sex with the 18 year old that still going school if was me the girl would make him pay for what he did now he is feelingredients free and the girl is feeling bad now
        If I was the girl he think he will have sex with I would make him pay for a do him something .
        U people should mare him go to jail

2. Kayla
        January 29, 2017 at 4:46 pm

U people should make him go to jail

January 23, 2017 at 6:41 pm

You have put it direct.

4. Justice
      January 23, 2017 at 8:16 pm

I’m in full agreement with Tee. Politicians like to muddy the waters. The court case is exclusively about the blackmailing. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the alleged indecent exposure by the Minister. The PM wants to cornflake the two incidents (blackmailing and exposing) to confuse the public. The PM should get to the truth. If the Minister exposed himself to the young lady, he should be banished from Cabinet without hesitation. Send a message to the other Ministers that this sordid behavior would not be tolerated. There is an ever increasing apathy to bad behavior. Allowing Dr. Raymond to remain as a Minister of Gov’t sends the wrong message to both young and old.

2. Sad-But-True
    January 23, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Nice!
    Give us more ammunition to use, Evil Chastanet.
    Nothing good can come out of you. :=)

January 23, 2017 at 6:47 pm

And SAD-BUT-FOO is blowing out

January 23, 2017 at 4:42 pm

This guy should resign. Plan and simple. We should have a petition.

January 23, 2017 at 5:00 pm

YOU balled the young girl, you balled us and now you de-balling your prime minister, Great show Mr.Raymond.

5. Merciful
    January 23, 2017 at 5:53 pm

He needs to resign, what kind of example is he setting. The prime minister cannot see that?Where are they morals?

6. Mary Johnson
    January 23, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Unfortunately displaying your private parts on public or to an individual is not conducive to someone that the country should hold in high esteem. There is a place for that and it is in government. Anthony Wiener in the USA and the proceedings thereafter is the precedent you should go by. Mr. Chastenet, it is not the norm.

January 23, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Omg. Are we going to play games with this, ubaldos needs to go. Just go. I’m going to keep the pics on my phone until he goes. So if I ever see he or his wife I will pretend to show them my daughter and bam in their face. Nasty man. And vicious wife

January 23, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Get a life people, No wonder the island is doing so horrible, everyone is fixated on destroying each other.. Your hateful and childish statements are ridiculous.

January 23, 2017 at 9:51 pm

Why the hell are you harassing the man’s wife.smh and pretty soon,you will harass his kids too?? Smh poor jab for us,we want to be judge over all,smh,smh

January 23, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Wow. You really are a nasty person. And YOU criticizing someone! Don’t you think the man’s wife has been through enough? Go to church. Pray for your black soul. Smh.

January 23, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Well she’s an adult. So what’s the issue here? As for blackmailing she was charged. The rest is private for him to deal with her and his wife.

9. 666
    January 23, 2017 at 8:33 pm

He must go, he has defiled the office he holds. And it takes two to tango, therefore, at his age and being a high profile public servant, he should’ve known better. Ditch him and bring some dignity back to Her Majesty’s Government, he has failed the country.

January 23, 2017 at 8:56 pm

There is a strong lack of morality in St Lucia – a country where I haven’t met anyone who didn’t claim to believe in God; where most people, including the prime minister and his cabinet members (I’m sure) all attend church on a Sunday, family in tow. St Lucia, are you telling me that it’s okay for such lewd pictures, like the ones I’ve seen, to be sent from a man of such an age and position in our society to an eighteen year old, who is most likely younger than his child(ren)?
    All this, and the majority of the country sits in silence. The Prime Minister sits on the fence.
    Where’s our sense of morality, St Lucia?

January 23, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. Are any of the adversities who are commenting committed and faithful parties in their relationship?

January 23, 2017 at 11:13 pm

SAD-BUT-TRUE

13. Sebo
    January 23, 2017 at 11:24 pm

He that is without sin cast the first stone

14. Vigilante
    January 24, 2017 at 11:26 am

Stop quoting the Bible heathens, Ubaldus is a lowlife and a reprobate He is a disgrace to this nation and does not reflect our common values. He is held to a higher standard that those of us with stone in hand. We are not stoning him for sinning, God will deal with him on that score. We are stoning him for being a corrupting influence on the nation’s youth. We are stoning him for abusing the public’s trust. We are stoning him for a general catharsis. If the eye cause you to sin, pluck it out. We need to restore the balance of good and bad. Keeping Ubaldus in Government is like ignoring an infestation, which will infect the entire already bad lot. Heathens stay away from the Bible

Watchman shot as gunmen attack Corinth SecondaryRead