SLAPS: Don’t blame pit bulls!

SLAPS: Don’t blame pit bulls!

The Saint Lucia Animal Protection Society (SLAPS), has placed the blame squarely on dog owners for attacks on humans by dangerous canines.

SLAPS President, Pamela Devaux, has told the Times that the problem of dogs attacking humans has nothing to do with dog breeds but how the animals are raised, trained and treated.

Devaux explained that all dogs have the potential to be aggressive.

She asserted that those that are brought up with a loving, firm hand become ‘wonderful companions.”

The SLAPS President said this includes pit bulls.

“I know a number of pit bulls here in Saint Lucia which are loving family dogs. Unfortunately they have a bad rap because when they are badly treated or ill treated or made to fight, it brings out a different side of their nature,” Devaux told the Times.

She said it is a terrible thing when dogs attack people.

“When somebody is killed, it is horrendous,” the SLAPS official observed.

However she said the fault in such instances lies with the owner of the animal and not the dog itself.

According to Devaux, that conclusion is borne out by various investigations.

“When a puppy is born, the way it is brought up is how it reacts,” she asserted.

Devaux noted that there is an Animal Act in Saint Lucia which bans the breeding or giving away of pit bulls and other dog breeds which are deemed to be ‘dangerous’.

“I think before we look to have any more laws, let’s see if the laws we already have on the books can be implemented before we use taxpayers’ money to bring in new laws which are probably not going to be enforced,” she said in response to suggestions that there should be a ban on ‘dangerous’ dogs.

Devaux noted that although it is against the law to breed pit bulls, people do it all the time.

She spoke against the backdrop of the recent reports out of  Barbados that a retired nurse was mauled to death by five dogs, including pit bulls.

February 6, 2017 at 11:42 am Reply

Nonsense,….don’t blame the Dogs blame the owners. Really. I don’t think so Pamela Devaux.

February 6, 2017 at 12:46 pm Reply

It’s no wonder morons like you comment under the moniker anonymous. Who else do you think is to be blamed when a dog behaves aggressively because it has been mistreated by a human being. If not the human being who? You’re obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

1. Samantha
        February 6, 2017 at 3:40 pm Reply

YOU raise children with lots of love and of course disciplining them when they do wrong and you have raised a person to respond well with people and a wonderful person in society.
        The same thing applies for puppies you have to discipline them and love them it is really ridiculous to just pick out certain breeds ,some just need a firmer hand just like children!!!

February 7, 2017 at 7:29 pm Reply

Well said

2. Theresa McCaffrey
      February 6, 2017 at 2:11 pm Reply

I agree. Rotten people breed rotten dogs. No matter what breed. Face it. It would solve a multitude of problems, social, economical, etc if we could limit breeding of rotten people. Not dogs.

February 6, 2017 at 5:34 pm Reply

That would be a wish come true….

February 6, 2017 at 3:46 pm Reply

Pitt bulls are wonderful dogs. It is the way they are raised that makes a dog mean. The owners are to blame. Media doesn’t make things better. They focus on the Pitt bull. When there are alot of other breeds that bite. Alot of little dogs that bite but the media doesn’t say a thing about it. God love the Pitt bull.

4. Jay
      February 6, 2017 at 9:14 pm Reply

Oh yea “Anonymous” ur a small minded idoit! Small minds can’t grasp truth and education they onky believe wht they’ve been told by other idiots! If I get a Golden retriever puppy and i dnt love & socialize it while neglecting & abusing it, betcha it hurts something. Every living being must be taught love and how to do it! A lion is a very aggressive being but even they know and teach love. DNT BE AN IDIOT Mr. Anonymous

1. Rab Anderson
        February 6, 2017 at 11:27 pm Reply

Interesting you use a golden retrievers as choice comparison . I just read a paper from the American Canine Temperament Association.
        Pit bulls scored higher on temperament chart for stability, than Golden labs and retrievers. Infact they were nearer the top of the class with most their tests.
        I thought interesting, especially when they get such a bad rap.

Obviously nurture plays a key role in how a dog behaves/ misbehaves.

2. Susan Peterson
        February 7, 2017 at 6:43 am Reply

Susan Peterson
        I have a 4 yr. old pit. When he was 2, found tied to the railroad tracks. I love, love, love him. He is such a kind animal to his brothers (16 yr. Heeler-13 yr. Sphynx) and other animals. Loves adults & small children . He is a gentle giant, calm, well behaved very loving. Consistent discipline and lots and lots of love. no bad dogs just ignorant bad people.

5. David Osborne
      February 6, 2017 at 10:17 pm Reply

Miss Deveaux is 100% correct in saying that it is not the dogs fault blame lies with the owner. You on the other hand don’t know what you’re talking about ,you probably are not a dog owner and haven’t given this matter much consideration

February 6, 2017 at 11:27 pm Reply

Youre a (Word deleted) moron who obviously doesn’t own a dog, people make dogs mean, dogs arent born that way, officials should find owners responsible for animal attacks and not just the dog

February 6, 2017 at 11:51 pm Reply

Ya blame the owners my pit bull is the most amazing loving dog ever she loves my grandkids like they are her own she’s a bigger baby than my 5lb dog

8. Steve
      February 7, 2017 at 12:17 am Reply

I have 2 Pitbulls, and they are renowned by everyone who meets them on how well behaved and compassionate they are. They don’t have an aggressive bone in their bodies. They have these upstanding qualities because I raised them with kindness and love. I’m not going to knock your opinion, because everyone is entitled to their own, but please, be a little more open minded when you reply blindly to a thread.

February 8, 2017 at 12:45 am Reply

Moron .. choops

10. King
      February 8, 2017 at 9:55 pm Reply

You should leave the talking to intelligence people

2. Anon
    February 6, 2017 at 11:47 am Reply

Madame Chooooooooooooooooopppppssssssssssss tan!

February 6, 2017 at 11:49 am Reply

Pitbulls are loving dogs. I had two and their played and was protective my child who was at the time two years old.

And I am not even an animal lover.

4. Bob
    February 6, 2017 at 11:55 am Reply

You know nothing about dogs maybe you are a pitbull

5. Asher
    February 6, 2017 at 11:59 am Reply

A air is owners because they want to do dog fight

February 6, 2017 at 12:09 pm Reply

She just saying dnt blame the did but how is raised and that so true .
    Dogs dnt for get.
    She is so right 😍😘

7. As It Is
    February 6, 2017 at 12:10 pm Reply

The lady is correct. Any domesticated animal is just like us humans in certain behavioral patterns. If you continue to show the neighbors animals love and warmth they will tend to look out for you as you make your way home and follow you there showing signs of affection forgetting about their owners until they are called.
    If you as an individual is getting that love elsewhere than home you will find a way to make time to receive it.

What say you?

February 6, 2017 at 12:26 pm Reply

I agree. I owned a pitbull once and it was a very friendly dog. Never showed any signs of aggression

1. Sherry Brandenburg
      February 6, 2017 at 8:10 pm Reply

Use to own? What happen? I have two i love them so much! Their love and loyalty comes back to me in 10 fold everyday. They know nothing but love, kindness and they also know they will never be giving away or left behind. It might sound silly, but i love, trust them more than people.

2. Barbara
      February 6, 2017 at 11:36 pm Reply

I never had a pit bull. Every dog I was blessed to have was so precious to me. Just remember one thing “Anything happens to any creature God created will have to answer to God for it.
      Dog spelled backwards spell God.

9. my opinion
    February 6, 2017 at 12:36 pm Reply

As it Is I totally agree with you. Will be 2yrs since my neighbour’s dog is living in my yard because of the love care and treatment it’s getting from me. If persons treat their animals (dogs) with love, then I wouldn’tsee the reason(s) for such things to happen. That’s my oopinion….. As a matter of fact breed dogs should be chained not loose nor tied with rope…..

10. Constance Wehner
    February 6, 2017 at 1:10 pm Reply

The phrase “including pit bulls” is interesting. In a recent Atlanta tragedy, one of the dog’s identified in the news as a pit bull was actually a border collie. The other was later identified as a pit bull mix. This is not to make light of the tragedy–one child was killed by the dogs– but the media equate “vicious dogs” with pit bulls.

February 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm Reply

I had a pit for many years and it never showed any signs of aggression

12. Sharon terrell
    February 6, 2017 at 1:26 pm Reply

A pit bull is no friend of mine,she never heard about the monkey who mauled the neighbor face in Hartford Ct, whiles she was visiting hsr best friend for over 15 years,dogs are vicious creatures.You never know when they will attack.No body knows what provokes dogs or animals.Another incident my friend have a pitbull everytime i visit he stares me dead in the face and growl or whatever sound his making, then he comes close to me, i stop going to her house.No way i dont trust pit bulls they are just dangerous vicious breeds.

1. Tito
      February 6, 2017 at 11:32 pm Reply

They sense the idiocy in people named sharon, your just a stereotypical coward who judges on gossip

13. Sharon terrell
    February 6, 2017 at 1:33 pm Reply

Pitbulls are dangerous dogsi don’t know if itsvthe mixing of breeds,But i have never met a nice pitbull,my girlfriend and i visited each other for years as soon as she got a pitbull i stop going to her house.the dog stare and sniff and growl and make strange noises.I think that pit bulls are very aggressive dangerous vicious dogs.They will not attack their owners but they will attack a stranger,quicker than any other dog.Look at the lady in Hartford Ct she was visiting her best friend who had a monkey,one day and the monkey mauled her face.She dided after multiple surgeries to her face.Ms.Pamela Devaux.I don’t know.

1. Friendly
      February 6, 2017 at 8:06 pm Reply

There is , my friend Has a very friendly pit even if it’s not often we meet but I usually give it little snax n stuff when I see it n it always come to get a little pat on it big head he is not aggressive although am not found of dogs too but it’s how u raise n train them

2. Sherry Brandenburg
      February 6, 2017 at 8:14 pm Reply

They smell evil. Lol your vibes suck and stinks! Thats why they stared you down and sniff yiu. Didnt trust. You

3. Rab Anderson
      February 6, 2017 at 11:43 pm Reply

Are you sure that it isn’t you’re own fear of dogs that you’re describing? Sounds like it. Every pit bull I’ve been around (that’s probably in the hundreds btw) I’ve only ever been licked to an inch within my life. I’ll give you they do make funny noises. Usually when they want petted or are want to play.
      Very loving animals.
      Pit bulls are pure bred so not mixed. Dogs are known as mans best friend for a good reason. Monkeys are not! They are wild and should not be kept as pets. (Bad comparison).
      Funnily enough. I’ve very seldom heard pure bred pits growl. Strange.

4. Rab Anderson
      February 6, 2017 at 11:55 pm Reply

Very loving animals.
      Funnily enough. I’ve very seldom heard pure bred pits growl. Strange.

February 6, 2017 at 2:00 pm Reply

These uneducated fools who are obviously unable to understand this concept should refrain from commenting. A dog, regardless of breed, is like a child. Your disposition and training determines how your pet behaves. One has to be the master of their pet. No two questions about it.

February 6, 2017 at 2:19 pm Reply

Excellent and factual point

February 6, 2017 at 8:14 pm Reply

You are right about these uneducated people commenting about this beautiful breed. Just look at their writing. They can’t even spell. I have two of my own, female and male. They are very loving, affectionate and they are always happy. Love this breed! IT’S THE OWNERS THAT ARE MAKING THEM THIS WAY. THINK ABOUT IT, HUMANS ARE THE WORST BREED. LOOK HOW OUR WORLD IS TODAY. THANK YOU.

February 6, 2017 at 2:01 pm Reply

Show me your dog and I will tell u who u are

February 6, 2017 at 2:25 pm Reply

Pitt are loving dogs

17. cindy lewis
    February 6, 2017 at 2:38 pm Reply

I agree that mistreating anydog can make it a dangerous dog, but I know that a little can be dangerous no matter how well it is treated. I know that for a fact.

18. Say it true
    February 6, 2017 at 2:38 pm Reply

The blame falls on both the Owner and the dog, Owner charged and dog euthanized

19. Carrie Piatek
    February 6, 2017 at 3:50 pm Reply

Ive had just wonderful pitts, tails always wagging with a heart of gold.
    Love people and other animals as well.
    Its not the breed! Its the humans!

February 6, 2017 at 4:03 pm Reply

Thats true

21. Lea
    February 6, 2017 at 4:06 pm Reply

My 8 months old f pitbull is 99%lamb and the remaining is pit.I did get her for protection in mind, but probably it will be me protecting her as time passes.Her tail starts wagging even when a stranger is many yards away,lol

1. Pam Phillips
      February 6, 2017 at 8:17 pm Reply

Lea, I wouldn’t worry about it, I would bet my life… on the fact that your dog loves you and wont let anyone hurt you. I had a St. Bernard, my house was broke into twice with him home. I’m sure he offered to help them carry the heavy stuff. wagging his tail the whole time. But if you and I were watching football and you yelled at the TV. He would get between us and not let you near me until he was sure everything was ok. Honestly I didn’t care they broke in and my dog didn’t stop them. Everything in my house except for my dog was replaceable. I could buy new jewelry, but if they would of hurt my dog… they would of prayed for the cops to catch them first. Because I would of done the same thing to them that they would of done to my dog. If they killed him I would of killed them. Then I would of been in jail! I happy dog is a good thing, I bet your dog grows up to be like my Saint was. Easy going, but protective of me.

As a matter of fact a guy I was dating learned to put the dog out if he had anything he wanted to say to me. He knew he could take one of us but if you messed with me, you messed with the dog too. And vise versa, mess with my dog and you wouldn’t like what happened next.
      When we fought the dog would walk a circle between us, keeping us apart. The one time he put his hands on me he had put the dog out first. He lost that time too, I grabbed my purse,my cat, my dog and ran. I knew when he got up it wouldn’t be pretty. That was the last time I saw him.

February 6, 2017 at 9:06 pm Reply

I’ve breed champion line of pits for 30 yrs. And trained several breeds for self protection of some of my clients as well as police departments. A wagging tail is not a sign of affection ,as many people believe. Any good trainer will tell u that is a sign of the dig thinking and continuation olother posture also indicate aggression such as head down n tail up,or head btwn legs pound puppy stile or rolling on back exposing the underbelly
      Both these show submission. Learn what ur dog is telegraphing thru jestures n you’ll be much more able to avoid problems. Styx owner / breeder the Kennel River Stux

22. Cherie A LeBlanc
    February 6, 2017 at 5:07 pm Reply

It’s true the dogs do and learn from the owners and what the owners teach them, so no don’t blame the dog blame the owner.

23. Mercy
    February 6, 2017 at 7:27 pm Reply

They give them coffee to drink and also some Cayenne pepper to make them fierce.

24. Kelli wildman
    February 6, 2017 at 7:33 pm Reply

The most dangerous breed on Earth is humans!

1. Loranda JOHNSTON
      February 6, 2017 at 7:52 pm Reply

I agree 100%

2. Pam Phillips
      February 6, 2017 at 7:58 pm Reply

I agree 100%

3. Sherry Brandenburg
      February 6, 2017 at 8:15 pm Reply

Thank you thank you!

4. Barbara
      February 6, 2017 at 11:38 pm Reply

Amen!!

25. Loranda JOHNSTON
    February 6, 2017 at 7:51 pm Reply

I have 2 and raising them with 4 kids …. very protective when we are not home but when we are home we have no problems ….Have many visitors that come over and all they do is lick them to death.

1. Kelli wildman
      February 6, 2017 at 7:55 pm Reply

Yes that is how two of my 3 pits are like ❤

2. Kelli wildman
      February 6, 2017 at 7:57 pm Reply

The 3td one is a rescue and was seriously abused and he will bite strangers if they walk into my home but I’m not going to punish him at all it is what it is! He was only 4 month old when I got him and nothing but skin and bones.

26. Doris Beck
    February 6, 2017 at 9:58 pm Reply

I’ve had my pit bull for11years and the only thing he does is lick you to death. I have been bitten by a poodle. Now there’s an aggressive dog. Quit slamming pit bulls. My dog and I where attacked by a small pack of Chihuahuas and my dog got bit but never bit back. He could have chomped them into pieces, and didn’t. It’s bad humans not bad pit bulls. If there’s a new ban it should be on bad humans and aggressive small breeds. No one ever hears about small dogs attacking people. Check out Via lobos from Pit Bulls and parolees on Animal Planet. They are the best, saving all those dogs people throw away and abandon. We should all try to be more understanding of the breeds we choose to own. I never thought I’d own a pit bull. 11 years later I’m grateful for every day I have him.

27. JDM
    February 6, 2017 at 11:20 pm Reply

My Pitt grabs the first toy that she can get ahold of and offers it to whomever comes to the house. She only sees another person to play with. I warn anyone who owes come over to beware of my Pitt bull she can’t control her licker. I would die if anything happens to her. I just lost my mixed breed after 18 years and have a cat that is 22 years old. I also love my pets more than most “humans”. Animals raised in love know nothing but love. Treat a child without love and they grow up not knowing how to love.

28. Tammie
    February 6, 2017 at 11:27 pm Reply

I have two beautiful males. Outlaw is five and don’t know a stranger, his brother is one and a little aggressive but very loving. We love the breed and I don’t like people that are mean to them or fight them.

29. Rab Anderson
    February 6, 2017 at 11:59 pm Reply

Ban stupid people not pit bulls!

30. Claudia Ramos
    February 7, 2017 at 12:14 am Reply

Absolutely owners are the ones to blame. I have 2 pittbulls. One is rescue, was a sack of fleas and bones. Now she’s not even close of what she looked and behaved before. She bounce back to a very lovely and sweet dog. Pitts are reciliant just like kids. All they want is to give back love ..Now both are the sweetes dogs and they love to play with kids and are very social puppies… Raising them with love you will have lovely dogs. Teached them wrong they woll do wrong. Owners are the ones to blame!

31. Claudia Ramos
    February 7, 2017 at 12:15 am Reply

February 7, 2017 at 12:28 am Reply

Could someone please tell me how Sharon Terrell can actually try to turn a response about pit bull behavior and compare it to the acts of a killer chimpanzee? Where did that idiotic comparison come from? I own a 6 year old pit bull that I rescued when he was 2 years old and 2 words that I can use to describe him are loving and loyal. I adopted another puppy 4 months ago, not a pit just a mixed breed and never once has he showed any agression towards her despite being bitten, scratched and jumped on. A monkey….seriously? What planet are you on?

33. Carolin
    February 7, 2017 at 1:04 am Reply

H.A. is from bad breeding, and bad training. Pitbulls, bred and trained correctly, should be human submissive, and somewhat dog aggressive. They are great dogs and a lot of fun! Keep them busy…..a tired dog is a happy dog.

34. Carolin
    February 7, 2017 at 2:05 am Reply

35. Sfiso
    February 7, 2017 at 2:32 am Reply

Pitbull is a very loving and loyal dog.Extremely protective to the family members and their territory. I’ve been having them for more than 4yrs and I’m loving them more than before I think the determining factor is the updated bringing and nothing else.

36. Ntsikelelo
    February 7, 2017 at 3:29 am Reply

There’s nothing wrong to pittbull the realy problem is how to grow up when it’s young, I hv got to pit they are lovely dogs