Heart attack suspected in death of Soufriere Captain

The relatives of well-known Soufriere boat captain, Mark Mercier, have told the Times that they suspect that a heart attack may have contributed to the death of the 59 year old Baron’s Drive resident.

Mercier is reported to have encountered difficulty while on a diving expedition this morning at around 7 O’ clock near the Soufriere police station.

Relatives told the times that a companion who was with Mercier at the time raised an alarm and managed to get him back to shore.

According to the relatives, CPR was administered but to no avail.

One relative told the Times that the deceased had earlier complained of chest pains.

Mercier is reported to have been well known in his community as a tour guide, a deep sea fishing enthusiast and a whale watcher.

He is survived by his wife and five children.

1. Pastor Aristide
    February 7, 2017 at 7:25 pm

May the Lord be with the family I pray that the Lord God Will provide for you, be encourage and remember Jesus Christ is Lord,.Stay In prayer there a blessing on the way for you and your family. Blessed love

2. Pastor Aristide
    February 7, 2017 at 7:26 pm

February 7, 2017 at 10:11 pm

As a swimmer myself, I sympathise with his family. I wonder if he has had problems with his heart before, because if he did have heart issues he should have been on regular medication. Perhaps those of us who swim and dive regularly need to undertake regular health checks and take our prescribed medication on a regular basis and in a sustained manner, like taking your pill at the same time every day and not skipping a day just because we may be feeling well at the time. And be careful about “bush” medicine with no prescribed dosage.

February 8, 2017 at 9:29 am

Genesis 1:29 KJV
    “And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.”
    Are you telling St. Lucians to give up herbs for poisonous drugs they call medication, that many people die from the side effects. if you eat healthy, mainly a raw diet, (God did not intend for people to eat flesh, dead caucus of other living things.) He gave people meat after the flood because they asked for it but he warned that it would weaken our bodies. vegan people are stronger and live longer than people who eat meat and use medicine drugs. People use your herbs, eat your fruits, drinks your 96 ounces of water daily, exercise, don’t eat greasy or fried Foods, don’t eat late, your last meal should be at 6 pm. Free yourself from the TV (I cut my cable off and have a roof antenna. I save lots of money.) and go to bed early. Have a good relationship with God, worship him daily and go to church regularly. Yes, people who go to church also have been found to live longer. God in your life daily brings true joy and peace. Return to him your tithes and offering as he ask you to, because he will give you much more thsn you need. I can use myself as an example. I have a form of lupus, I refuse to take the medications, many people with lupus have died and they took the medication. I use lots of herbs. Cayenne pepper, ginget, tumeric, limes and alot more can remove inflammation, strengthen the heart and make you strong. So my fellow St. Lucians please research, for there is plenty information out there. Be careful with those poisonous drugs they call medication; they destroy your organs they are toxic, some of them like Coumadin, have rat poison in it. Go to the herbalist when you are sick, cleanse your body, detox and take parasitic cleansing every 6 months. Vegetables, fruits and herbs, yes, the way to live longer.

February 8, 2017 at 3:00 pm

I agree with you, but my point still holds. What is the dosage? Those of us who use the so-called poisonous substances also eat lots of fruit and vegetables. We also use a lot of herbs like “chi-chi-Ma”, “bois den” and seasoning peppers in our food. Furthermore, we drink a lot of coconut water throughout the day. So it seems to me that we are getting the best of both the rasta world and the bald head world. The only edge you might have over us is that you may be smoking the “calie herb” while we may drink alcohol instead. In the end, however, we all will die and rest in peace at Choc cemetery. You check it ?

6. anonymous
    February 9, 2017 at 11:16 am

1 corinthians 6:19 know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
    I do not drink nor smoke anything. I live by God’s principles and obey his laws. And I believe in the power of prayer. There are things we cannot control, like pollution in the air. For many years people have been using herbs for healing. I can attest for that I suffered with asthma from a baby and herbs have me still alive in my fifties today. And now I have lupus, I still take herbs. Six drug medications including steroids (some people I know have 20 plus) which, if an athlete takes disqualifies him or her from a sport. Then why should I take them? God put herbs, man makes experimental drug medication with many side effects. And though I don’t currently live in St. Lucia, I have lots of family and I do visit. Saint Lucia is a Rich Paradise full of Natural Foods & Herbs; fresh air and the beautiful beaches. So don’t ever believe that the grass is greener on the other side and at the poisons drugs medication are better. sometimes I regret ever leaving st. Lucia. I see the potential, most people just need to plant their more food there. You don’t need all the luxury you see other people have. I cut my cable, why make the rich people richer. As long as you have food, Shelter, clothing and water you are bless. There are books now on Amazon teaching you how to be self-sustainable and about natural healing. And like many others St. Lucians, I do care. Let God lead you. So I leave you with these bible text:
    Hosea 4:6 King James Version Bible (KJV)
    My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
    Luke11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
    James1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.