Royalton responds to ‘poaching’ claims

The Royalton Resort and Spa has responded to charges that the hotel has been ‘poaching’ staff from other hotels.

Speaking this evening as the Royalton held a soft opening, General Manager Andre Dhanpaul,  told reporters he was not sure why such an accusation would be made, recalling that several months ago the resort advertised for staff and received 6,000 applications.

Ribbon cutting at soft opening of Royalton

Dhanpaul said the applicants were shortlisted and some 2,500 were interviewed.

Andre Dhanpaul

“You can’t stop people from moving from company to company – so poaching would be us calling and trying to bring people over. People applied of their own free will, as I did as well,” the Royalton official stated.

Dhanpaul explained that the resort was happy for today’s soft opening, noting that it took  close to eighteen months to build the hotel and train staff.

He disclosed that there is no construction happening as of today, only finishing touches  that are happening behind the scenes.

According to Dhanpaul, more than fifty percent of the resort’s inventory is ready.

“People are loving us,” he said of the response by guests.

Dhanpaul declared that the Royalton will deliver the best  service that the Caribbean has to offer in terms of an all inclusive holiday.

The resort has 456 suites and 950 hosts.

Dhanpaul said he was happy to reveal that 98 percent of hotel staff are Saint Lucians.

He said the resort’s ultimate objective is to treat its people well and surpass the expectations of its guests.

“We want to do community outreach by having our managers go to high schools and colleges one hour per month each of us will go out to inspire Saint Lucians to join our business,” Dhanpaul stated.

He also disclosed plans to reach out to Sir Arthur Lewis Community College.

“We are very pleased. At the beginning of a hotel opening generally you start out slowly – maybe 25, 30 percent and you slowly ramp it up so this week I’m 25, next week I’m 35 percent, April we go up to about 50 and in May we are already at about 80 percent which more than likely will grow to about 85, 90 percent.”

1. Bwet cucu
    February 18, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Well if hotels like Bay Gardens will pay a room attendant $900.00 a month after 18 years service no wonder they will run to the Royalton I don’t blame them!!

February 19, 2017 at 1:58 am

Why you stay for 18 years doh?

February 19, 2017 at 10:32 am

Cause u have may b a family to feed,and bill to pay .
        So u stay instead of siting home with nothing coming in.
        😘😍

February 19, 2017 at 12:06 pm

But if the pay so bad why stay!

February 19, 2017 at 4:26 pm

That uniform sucks btw. Looks like a cross between a lame flight attendant’s and plantation house maid’s uniform. Come on!

February 18, 2017 at 7:49 pm

$900.00?

February 18, 2017 at 8:01 pm

I was paid $300.00 a month at Bay Gardens doing admin work.
    I will go any where else but go Bay Garens again..

February 18, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Wow!

1. oh
        February 19, 2017 at 5:09 pm

How they say construction not going on after today when its still going on? The pay is the same with other hotels. Make the staff clean in dust without protective face mask. Don’t believe the hype its the same

2. pay chew
      February 18, 2017 at 8:48 pm

now u being ridiculous $300 a month…come on now

3. Veronica Harris
      February 19, 2017 at 8:04 am

A room attendant 900.00 administration staff 300.00 per month? The maths not adding up.

4. Freddy
    February 18, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Anse chasatnet hotel and Jade mountain hotel just like bay garden 40 plus staff resign in one month including me who go to sugar Beach royalton hotel sandals where the pay is better

February 18, 2017 at 9:14 pm

I am currntly workig at oyalton, and it is amazimg, from the staf cantewn facilties and meals, to the way everyone is treated and trained y managers. It is five star for sure. Royalton opening and immeiately recieving so ma an y applications should tell the other hotels something, thier staff wasnt truly happy, they didnt really have a choice, now they do, so they went for it. All other hotels should step up

February 18, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Thoes hotels should be ashame exploiting the workers with very little pay that is one of the reason most of the youtes turn to crime house car and land people have to work for bay gardens is the biggiest crooks on the island

7. Aunty
    February 18, 2017 at 10:02 pm

If Royalton paying more people will go.. What these hotels don’t realize people have to eat… SANDALS PAYING CASUAL staff $40 a day no service charge (do the maths) and they get the same amount of work as everyone else.

8. Gg
    February 18, 2017 at 10:18 pm

After 13yrs at Sandals la Toc i could not get 1000$ a fortnight .
    This hotel is doing the right thing .
    Take all their STAFF.
    You work like a donkey and all they do is expand their business .
    Good move my fellow St Lucian .

February 19, 2017 at 12:48 am

I can agree to that

9. Curious
    February 18, 2017 at 10:44 pm

I’m curious. How much does sandals pay chefs and cooks for their time?

10. This is not slavery
    February 19, 2017 at 6:23 am

You need to treat your staff with respect and loyalty to get it back. Pay the price now!

February 19, 2017 at 7:30 am

There so much more that happens at these so called hotels. Exploitation is a joke and if you speak out you get victimized. Its a sad state of affairs. Very sad

12. Freddy
    February 19, 2017 at 7:40 am

I am very happy at Ti Kaye resort and spa small hotel but my pay is very good can’t complain I did not want to go to royalton I did the same thing in 2000 for hayatt regency hotel now sandals grand in 2002 the hotel close down ………..

February 19, 2017 at 8:00 am

Why did royalton did not rehire smugglers staff? I thought they said first priority goes out to smugglers staff but SMH what a big big lie.

February 19, 2017 at 8:12 am

They werr closed for 2 years. Most of them probably went on to do other things.

14. Do something
    February 19, 2017 at 8:17 am

That’s y the government hav to work on a minimum wage. .. so every 1 can get wats coming to them

15. Concern Citizen
    February 19, 2017 at 8:48 am

Persons want equal pay, however do you know the amount of LAZY people we have in St Lucian. It’s not always about the pay, because if you love what you do it will not matter.

16. Citizen
    February 19, 2017 at 8:49 am

February 19, 2017 at 9:29 am

Coconut bay is also one of them ,they employing you as an experience staff and still want to pay you like the new comma’s who just left school and want you to train them for the same pay,and no Service charge after one year 25% service charge and it stick there and no commission no credit tips finally they allowed and its like 6 weeks before you received it is by the gate like outsiders plus the pay roll clerk is always making error’s in your salaries, Jesus coconut bay resort need’s serious training from the gm down,

18. Amie dodo
    February 19, 2017 at 9:40 am

To be honest there is so much to say about royalton hotel I went for two interviews and am unemployed but the department heads are choosing their friends in St Lucia is who you know a nen nen and parwer although my qualification is the most all on the island but yet still,but anyway I still wish Royal ton hotel good luck and am still looking forward for employment there, cause now sm even training for other departments with chtti,

1. Veronica Harris
      February 19, 2017 at 1:45 pm

I have a Master’s in Tourism and I am unemployed, welcome to the club

2. kl
      February 19, 2017 at 5:08 pm

I can vouch for that. The department heads have been hiring their friends regardless of who went to interviews. Like you said, I wish them well.

19. Amie dodo
    February 19, 2017 at 9:47 am

Freddy does ti Kaye give transport from Soufriere to anse chon Beach to work that’s great then if so am going to try, thanks

February 19, 2017 at 9:51 am

No wonder you guys are under paid. More than half the comments sound like you’ll illitrate .

1. MR COCO
      February 19, 2017 at 11:40 am

you just made my day hahaha

February 19, 2017 at 12:09 pm

I agree

3. 666
      February 19, 2017 at 3:21 pm

You’ll means you will..y’all means you all.

February 19, 2017 at 10:35 am

It no nice to to say to ppl,god bless us all but some of us dnt apply our bless 👀

22. Live your dream
    February 19, 2017 at 11:38 am

Listen carefully fellow people. I have been in the hotel industry for the past 8yrs after bout 2 years after leaving Sir Arthur. But I started with one small boutique hotel in the north , where I worked about 2 years, I was not satisfied with my salary but I prepared myself with the experience, did some cross training and worked through other departments whilst there and got recognized for it. When I was ready to move on I applied for another hotel where I was looking forward to a better salary, and I did get the job, because I prepaid myself with the skills , education and experience. Currently I am still working for that same company, and I have been promoted twice, I have traveled to 3 different islands in the Caribbean through that company, as a trainer, manager or assisting to a new hotel opening for the past 6yrs. And it won’t stop there. During that time I was able to get professional hotels certifications and start my degree in hospitality management.

I am saying all this to say, the only persons we should blame for our unhappiness of salaries and jobs is ourselves, we determine our own future, if we are not satisfied about something, don’t seat and complain but take a stand and prepare yourself for the future and live your dreams, don’t accept being in one position for 5, 8 or 10 years. We all have the same time as the general manager did, the head of your department, or the CEO of the company. But they prepared them selves so when the opportunities came they were confident it was theirs. Use your time wisely.

February 20, 2017 at 6:44 am

Great comment

2. Lucian
      February 21, 2017 at 10:17 am

I like your contribution to this discussion. While some who have the qualifications still do not get the jobs, many who have their foot in the door already, do little to make themselves marketable or qualify for promotions. You will not go far if you do the same job for 10, and just expect that you will get more money. Look at the police force, why would you be a constable for 20 years? Yes the pay may not be great, but that is the same world wide, its a pyramid, so if you want more you have to try to climb to the next level. You can’t be happy being line staff, and want the money of a supervisor. On the flip side local business owners and managers need to realize that if your staff is happy you make more money. And happiness is not only down to money, valuing your staff and recognizing the contribution that they make is just as important.

February 19, 2017 at 11:57 am

Wow

February 19, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Well i work for Rituals for seven yearz now. We get a higher per hour rate than all the other fast food places. They pay our overtime and holidays. They treat us well so I am happy. It is not always about money. I want to be comfortable and happy where i work

25. 666
    February 19, 2017 at 3:16 pm

Like our beloved Derek Walcott would say, “plantations on the beach.” They ppl slave wages and expect them to stay loyal?

1. 666
      February 19, 2017 at 3:22 pm

*pay

26. Freddy
    February 19, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Amie dodo I do get transport allowance from soufriere to to Kaye

February 19, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Ya’ll is not even a order but you’re busy correcting 😂

February 19, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Ya’ll is not even a word but you’re busy correcting 😂

1. 666
      February 19, 2017 at 8:56 pm

But it makes more sense than you’ll.

February 19, 2017 at 10:03 pm

I read all the comments and understand every ones comment what they all have to say
    This sound great. But. And I repeat but
    Would you all give the hotel a fair days work to.get a fair days pay. Starting good every thing good for now. Let’s hope you all don’t find faults to complain. Cause the same way you all. Applording the hotel is the very same way you all will critisize when things are not in you all favour. Lucian again.

February 19, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Leaving what you have to run to another.
    Remember you all will get every thing that you all want but remember you lost what you had.
    Looking for more and loosing more.

February 19, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Whenever the cats belley is full the rats head is always bitter.

February 19, 2017 at 10:45 pm

Royalton take all you’ll can , it is time for some if these so call hotels to respect their staff , soon they will have to beg staff to stay ,there is one particular hotel who keeps staff as casuals for a very long time just to pay them cheese money.

February 20, 2017 at 9:42 am

Stop complaining.blame yourself, u got all the resources utilize them …..be more educated,do your research

34. Sharon terrell
    February 20, 2017 at 11:18 am

Well its a Dog eat Dog world.out there.Salaries and good benefits is what its about,people have their bills to pay.The hotel’s is not my business but thats all in doing business.Ever stopped to wonder,a housekeeper or room attendant making anywhere in the vicinity of 15-16 rooms a day somtimes it can be more.How much are they worth.I would leave to if better must come then i have to seek better,thats my business.

35. Sharon terrell
    February 20, 2017 at 11:24 am

I never hear the Jamaicans bashing royalton and they been have royalton long before st.lucia,thats why jamaica booming and st.lucia singing.People talking about uniforms,hehe,the uniforms is killer,just like the other Royaltons in the Caribbean st.lucia i don’t know what to do with you’ll.you’ll know nothing good.thats why st.lucia not going anywhere complains, complain and youll cannot do no better.CHOOPS.

36. concern about my people
    February 20, 2017 at 5:06 pm

These other hotel should be ashamed, giving staff peanuts for their daily work. Staff work hard and they do not appriciate them. So when better comes alone they go for it. Now those of you who got through work hard and make the hotel the best. Dont mind the comments about how ugly your uniforms look it is not about that, be proud be forcussed for alot out there wish it was them wearing the same uniforms they call ugly. The other hotels big up pay your staff so you to can not be look down on. Treat your staff better, stop bring them down give them fair pay gor their hard work and you to will be the best. Stop exploiting my people. Some Managers are disrespectful towards their staff. Verbal abuse

February 20, 2017 at 6:49 pm

These existing hotels should ne embarrassed to talk about “poaching” Keep your staff contented they won’t leave you…

38. clubie
    February 20, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Wonder why hotels in at lucia will ask gueat not ro tip workers where yjia is a way thwy can make some extra cash shame on rhw hotela low pay and slavery work I would have ask the managers to bring thwir apoise and kids to do the work period.

39. ANONYMOUS
    February 21, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Bay Gardens so for true they like to exploit their workers for little pay.I used to work their i left.I only made $700.00 a month and my friend made $500.00 a month with lots of works.The managers are very disrespectful and the ones owners as well.The LABOUR DEPARTMENT needs to investigate this company.I sent them their when i left.If you don’t sleep with the male managers in particular you will never get a raise or be recognized.

February 23, 2017 at 5:28 pm

I’m a past room attendant of smugglers I have already done one interview and they said that they would call me but they didn’t but they have people with no knowledge of the work there SMH