‘Too many visa refusals’

The Canadian High Commissioner to Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean, Marie Legault, has asserted that her country would like to have more Saint Lucians visit Canada, but says there are too many visa refusals.

“The rate is very high because we don’t receive proper documentation for visas,” Legault said.

“Hopefully we can work on that and we can solve the situation in the future,” she said, adding that in addition to improper documentation, false information is also being provided to Canadian authorities.

The Canadian diplomat stressed that Saint Lucia and Canada have a strong relationship.

According to her, it was important to recognise the issue of Canadian security.

Legault spoke with reporters shortly after meeting Castries Mayor, Peterson Francis and representatives of the Castries Constituencies Council (CCC).

She said it was a wonderful visit  and her first opportunity to meet with the Mayor and his Councillors.

On September 11, 2012, the Canadian government  implemented visa requirements  for all visitors to Canada who are Saint Lucia or Saint Vincent citizens.

According to news reports, a key reason for the move was unreliable travel documents.

Canadian authorities were reported to be concerned that criminals from both countries could legally change their names and acquire new passports.

It was reported that in some instances, people who were removed from Canada as security risks later returned using different passports

1. Taia
    February 21, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Oh the hypocrisy of Canada.Just yesterday Montréal became a sanctuary city and are welcoming with open arms high security risk countries like somalia and other middle eastern countries with open arms with them just simply walking across the border and in no time are being offered welfare checks.

Bottom line its politics at it’s best seeing that these visa implements were under the then conservative PM Harper.With the new Libreral Government I believe in my opinion these policies should be revewed as were others like seria

1. G.I Joe
      February 21, 2017 at 7:24 pm

They are being reviewed and changes have been made. Still doesn’t take away the effect of the actions of criminals at the time who made it harder for us today. You can’t blame a country for trying to protect it’s resources. Heck, we should be doing the same. Any Tom Dick and Harry is allowed in small St. Lucia.

2. MR COCO
    February 21, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Great welfare in Canada. highly recommend. Hope you like muslims though.

1. Can-Bird
      February 21, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Damn lazy niggers scamming our system. Get a job of F##k-off

1. Norma
        February 22, 2017 at 7:29 am

Are you allowed to be so racist?

February 21, 2017 at 9:09 pm

I gave all the right info and documents and they still turned me down. OI will not leave my homeland St. Lucia at my age to go live in Canada. Just wamt to spend a little vacation with my family

February 21, 2017 at 11:19 pm

It’s not just st.Lucia it all the small islands i have friends who would never leave their jobs to live here but are denied visas all the right documents but still no visa issued

1. Tyrone
      February 22, 2017 at 5:33 pm

True. But it’s so easy for Barbadians to get Visas. I wonder why

February 22, 2017 at 12:39 am

Somebody please I would like to know what you need to get a visa an what are the reasons you get turn down for

1. Anon1
      February 23, 2017 at 9:58 am

You will find all the answers you need to know about Visa applications on the Canadian Embassy’s website.

Why would you seek that type of information on here!

Maybe common sense or lack of it could be a reason for VISA applications being denied.

6. o
    February 22, 2017 at 2:06 am

US visa is the same. You being truthful and they turn you down… and there are many that gives the wrong info and they get through… ssh.

7. Dolphin 7
    February 22, 2017 at 6:22 am

I visited Canada and I had a British passport which means I don’t need a visa but because I was born in St Lucia I was put through extra checks….I had my itenary,enough cash and proof of employment and that immigration office had to pull me aside. It isn’t about truth or evidence they are just discriminatory in Canada to Caribbean visitors.

8. the truth
    February 22, 2017 at 7:37 am

I always knew that the visa implementation was an advise given to canada authorities by st.lucias government.canada dont have problems with st.lucians traveling to canada,st.lucias government want st.lucians to stay in st.lucia and pay the high taxes and work under an unstable income.so in the next election they can get you to cast your vote.all those hinderances they put to exploit the workers of st.lucia.look at ghis clearly st.lucia dont have a minimum wage which means u get paid whatever the employer feel likes paying.so any st.lucians traveling To aquire better living they will never make it easy to do so.

February 22, 2017 at 8:11 am

Let me say something to the man who call all st lucian niggas are lazy, take your words back not all of us son of a gun racist as you are.have a great day god be with you.

February 22, 2017 at 9:53 am

I under stood that many St Lucians were filing for refugee status in Canada and St Lucia do not have refugee this is why some people can’t return even though they have papers and a lot of false documents were filed just to get status this was even on the news with Kenny blaming King for not handling the situation with Canada immigration accordingly honestly I blaming some St Lucians for this immigration issues with Canada

1. Taia
      February 22, 2017 at 11:26 am

This makes no sense at all, we are a small state with a tiny speck of claims compared to the millions filed in other countries.
      This is plain and simple poliics at its best.When these changes were implimented it was under a conservative majority Gov much like what Trump has, since the Gv has changed to Liberal I think it’s time to make some reviews.

2. peng
      February 23, 2017 at 11:06 am

not only that heard a lot of St. Lucians filing for residency on the grounds of their sexual belief and indicating that because they are gay they will be persecuted if they return home

February 22, 2017 at 11:44 am

Well I dont think is St Lucian alone this is happening too, I remember as a child growing up, in Guyana , Guyanese was never getting a visa for canada or United States, now it change, visa giveing away likecman for Guyanese, now I am asking my self , questions, but come to think of it, IS ALL ABOUT THE OIL NOW, GUYANESE WERE HATED ALL OVER , AND NOW EVERY COUNTRY WANT TO BE NICE,

12. Law Student
    February 22, 2017 at 12:48 pm

I ave read the comments posted with regards to obtaining Temporary Resident Visas (TRV) to travel to Canada. Here are the required documents that residents need to obtain;-
    a) Family info, (don’t leave out anything)
    b) Copy of your marriage certificate (if you are married)
    c) Copy of employment/school letter, and a 6 months bank statement
    d) If you were denied a visa before to any country, don’t lie, simply say yes and give the reasons.
    e)Letter of support from whomever residing in Canada, (incl funds, like tax assessment etc, and other assets)
    f) More evidence of assets providing that you Won’t Stay in the country and is willing to return.
    g) Proof of your travel history to other countries, (eg USA, UK) where you didn’t overstay your welcome.

I trust the above will give you an incite to whats required.

February 22, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Improper documents my ass.

I work on the airport. My company applied on my behalf so that I could have attended a 2 day training in YYZ and I use refused.
    Although all the necessary documents were sent. I have been to Canada twice and never over stayed or committed a crime.

Well these racist whatever’s can go to hell

14. denise
    February 23, 2017 at 10:18 am

reading on this issue as I was not aware of the difficult in getting a visa to travel to Canada.. as I have travel to st. lucia on several occasion.. as i am Canadian and hope that my government would make it easier to visit my country as well..

15. korsh
    February 26, 2017 at 4:34 pm

My sister applied twice shes in school proper documentation got refused, St.lucia is one of the safest and best destination for tourist and we got treated like trash what criminals are they talking about tell the goverment to show us the history bunch of liars

16. 666
    February 27, 2017 at 10:59 pm

It was put in place by the last racist government (Harper), plus I think Caribbean governments were complaining of the brain-drain.

17. Ali Clarke
    February 28, 2017 at 9:47 am

Its funny I am a Canadian citizen born in saint Lucia. Every body fighting to come to Canada while I can’t wait to return home permanent. The thing is the grass is not always green on the other side. Canada is no bed of roses. Good luck to all but after 30 years I am going back home to contribute to my own country

February 28, 2017 at 4:48 pm

you took thirty
      Years to make.up.your
      Mind lol yeah.right
      Not everybody.wants to.come here.to live like
      You and.everybody.has