Plas Kassav launches fund raising campaign

Plas Kassav, the well known bakery shop in Anse La Verdure, Canaries which was destroyed by fire on March 1, 2017, has launched a gofundme.com campaign to raise $20,000 to help get the business back on its feet, while it awaits insurance compensation.

The Times has been informed that the money will be used to get the eleven employees of the business back to work as soon as possible.

Plas Kassav, a family business which is very popular with tourists, has been in existence for over twenty years.

1. SLU Observer
    March 5, 2017 at 3:52 pm

SERIOUSLY !!!!! 😲😂😂😂… so when deh insurance pay up ..what will deh do with the cash … Unbelievable ….

1. DaisyDaisy
      March 5, 2017 at 4:36 pm

My thoughts exactly!! The reasoning behind this fund raising needs to be revised! #justsaying

2. Bil
    March 5, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Like seriously. This is not a worthy cause. So many people out there who are sick and cannot pay for there medical. Plas kasave i think you all should chill and wait for the insurance to pay

1. Louis
      March 5, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Read more before judging ppl

3. Pel
    March 5, 2017 at 4:56 pm

This place is taking advantage of the outpouring of support it has received from the public. So what happens when they receive the insurance payment? Plas Kassav…here is my advice to you. Take out a business loan and when you receive the insurance money you pay it back. All your profit will be going into your pockets whilst the very people who donate to your fundraiser will still have to buy your cassava. This is one cause that I will not support. Are you telling me that this business was not making money that they have no money in the bank that they can use to start up in the mean time? People need to stop wanting everything for nothing. As you said you are awaiting insurance payment…either you wait or you fund your business…you’re the one getting all the profits…chupse man!

4. Louis
    March 5, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Stupid (Word deleted) if you all were reading you all would have seen that they are taking the insurance ppeople to court because they are saying they weren’t insured that’s why t h ey re launching the fund raising ignorant bastards smh

1. Vern
      March 6, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Taking insurance company to court? You are the ignorant one my friend, because it’s either you have insurance or you don’t. If they didn’t pay the premium why should they expect insurance to pay? This is pure greed and taking advantage of people because they expressed sympathy to them. They were reckless to let the insurance run out…the insurance company would have sent them reminders as well. So after 20 years in business, selling their products internationally and to the big supermarkets they have no reserve to start up again? These people sicken me! They are crooks trying to have people bankroll their business. And on top of it they don’t even appreciate when you buy large quantities from them…they give NOTHING back but now expect people to support their business? I have lost all respect for that place and I won’t ever buy their stuff again!!!!!

March 5, 2017 at 8:39 pm

So if I fund will I get a cut in the profits? I’ve never gotten free cassava from you guys.

6. Queen Sugar
    March 5, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Is this a non profit organization? St Lucians have become beggars. So when we donate what is in it for us? Do we get a lifetime of free cassava bread? Business owners you need to get a loss of profit insurance on top of the fire & peril insurance. smh

7. Truth
    March 5, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Go fund me is not for that cause shame on you’ll

1. Truth
      March 5, 2017 at 9:20 pm

what is it for?

8. Truth
    March 5, 2017 at 9:20 pm

GoFundMe is a crowdfunding platform that allows people in some but not all countries to raise money for events ranging from life events such as celebrations and graduations to challenging circumstances like accidents and illnesses.

9. Pel
    March 5, 2017 at 10:26 pm

These people want everything for nothing. You even had to pay to use a toilet there and today you want to come and expect ordinary citizens to donate to my our business to put money in your pockets. Damn rude! People should boycott them when they open. I am so disgusted by this.

March 6, 2017 at 6:35 am

Maybe they think people will forget. Those people are funny.

10. AwakenedCritic
    March 6, 2017 at 6:29 am

A well known, flourishing business establishment which has been in operation for over 20 years – I expect better! You have not been struggling! Your cassava bread is damn expensive but it sells! Everyone travelling along that route to and from Soufriere must stop there – but you asking for money BEFORE the insurance money comes through?

Is this proper ethical practices? Are we gonna see “Customer Apprecietion Day” two or three times a month from now?

Your bread is expensive but it sells. You even charge your customers to use the washroom. What struggle do you have so to ask for money when you are already due money??? You cant wait??? Thats going to be a DOUBLE PAY.

Plas Kasav, I respect you. I have always enjoyed your Kasava bread, despite its cost. It hurt my heart when I heard the structure burned down. However, I am disappointed by this move!

Distasteful!

March 6, 2017 at 8:07 am

All the above comments should say something to the owners of place Kassav. Rethink your intention to fleece the public.

12. Anon1
    March 6, 2017 at 9:36 am

I did feel bad when I heard and read the story.

However the proprietor when interviewed said “the business was insured” so why the fund raising campaign!

The insurance should cover lost of earnings for the period the business isn’t operational.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, they maybe another apart from the one in the article. If there is then it should have been disclosed.

Because all the support you’ve been getting will diminish.

March 6, 2017 at 11:26 am

There is no need for us to wait to see if they will take the insurance company to court, because this is a straight case. you either have insurance or you don’t. The insurance company can never say you were not insured, if you had paid your premium. So, if you did not pay it on the date it was due, and if you ignored the reminder the insurance sent you, and if you did not make an arrangement with the insurance company for temporary coverage, then you were not insured. Period. And if, after all the money your business has made over the years, you cannot afford to pay the insurance premium, then why are you in business? Well, if the premium is too high, get another company to insure you for a cheaper fee. At the very least, you were negligent. And there can be no explanation for such negligence. Use your banking reserves to restart the business. Start small. Cool?

14. cabbie
    March 6, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Marginal quality product at best. I bring van loads of tourist business to this place, and I don’t even get one stinking piece of bread as thanks. Owners must have Jewish ancestors.

March 6, 2017 at 4:19 pm

These people R too damn ridiculous… After their cassava so damn expensive ….. Where is all the money they made while in operation …. So damn greedy with their overpriced cassava…. Cbeups tun