Government committed to renewable energy

Press Release:-The Government of Saint Lucia has expressed its commitment to continue to work towards the development of renewable energy on the island.

This after US-based firm WindTex Energy disappointingly cancelled plans for a previously announced wind farm on the east coast, less than four months after the new administration gave its commitment to the developer, to see the project to a successful completion.

On November 3, 2016, Sustainable Development Minister Hon. Dr. Gale Rigobert, facilitated discussions with the developer and other partners to ensure the smooth continuation of the multi-million dollar development of a 12 megawatts (MW) wind farm in Anse Cannot, Dennery.

Also present at this meeting were staff of the Renewable Energy Division, the Managing Director of Saint Lucia Electricity Services Limited (LUCELEC) Mr. Trevor Louisy and Mr. Steve DeWolf of WindTex.

During the meeting Minister Rigobert gave assurances of the government’s commitment to the project, stating that the proposed wind farm is in keeping with the new administration’s thrust to reduce the country’s dependence on imported fossil fuels.

 

In addition, on December 5, 2016, Mr. Steve DeWolf of WindTex made a presentation to the Cabinet of Ministers and was said to be warmly received, sparking further commitment from the entire Cabinet.

“It is therefore astonishing that the developer has decided to pull out from the proposed project without allowing the process to proceed. As a government we are deeply disappointed, however, the Government of Saint Lucia is pleased to announce that it is pursuing a suite of new proposals for renewable energy projects, which includes the development of a wind farm,” said Dr. Rigobert, who has responsibility for renewable energy development on the island.

She said government will soon unveil several of these initiatives to the public, most importantly, for the proposed wind farm.  Government, the minister said, is looking to give ordinary Saint Lucians the opportunity to invest in and become partners in the development of the project, as the new administration believes that Saint Lucians must be given the opportunity to help chart their country’s destiny.

These investments in Renewable Energy will be guided by the National Energy Transition Strategy (NETS), which was developed in partnership with LUCELEC last year. The NETS is a detailed energy roadmap, informed by independent technical analysis that paves the road for a sustainable, reliable, cost-effective and equitable electricity sector using the island’s local resources.

 

4 Comments

  1. Anonymous
    March 11, 2017 at 7:28 pm

    Developer must have had a good reason to pull out so suddenly

  2. The Crow
    March 12, 2017 at 8:35 am

    (Words deleted) We need more that commitment . . . We need action. Windex and previous administration invested time, money and effort into the windfarm and, true to Allen Trump style, it has been scuttled.

    Gayle’s explanations makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It reminds me of Trump’s surrogates attempting to make heads or tails of his policies.

  3. Anonymous
    March 12, 2017 at 11:10 pm

    Did the Minister say that in a little while from now, the Government will unveil many proposals for projects relative to renewable energy? Well, that beats all! How many such plans or proposals exist, who are behind these proposals, and how long ago were they conceptualised? Furthermore, how many such proposals do we need to consider, if we simply want to establish an alternative means of energy generation? I suppose someone is proposing wind generation, someone else is proposing sunlight generation, someone else is proposing hydroelectricity, and still someone else is proposing electricity generation from animal waste. If so be the case, how long will this Government have to remain in office in order to see these proposals bear fruit. I am sorry, but I prefer a slower but more positive approach to development. Rome was not built in a day. We seem to be in a “fanciful” zone with this Government.

  4. Anonymous
    March 13, 2017 at 11:33 am

    This was such a great opportunity wasted, according to reports this would of power 16,000 hoousehold and plus the employment it would of provided.

Shares