Family of four homeless after fire

Family of four homeless after fire

A family of four is homeless after a fire destroyed a plywood dwelling house at Capitol Hill, the Morne.

No one was at home when the fire started, it is reported.

The Saint Lucia Fire Service responded with two fire trucks after an alarm was raised after 9:00 am today, but could not do much to save the building which was already engulfed by flames.

Jacqueline Alexander, a resident, said she was at home when she heard one of her neighbours shouting ‘Fire!’

Alexander said when she came out, she noticed a lot of black smoke rising a short distance away from where she lives.

She recalled that she and her husband grabbed a hose, attached it to a neighbour’s pipe and tried to extinguish the fire with the help of the entire neighbourhood.

“The fire was really raging. We could not get hold of the owner of the house – we just had to carry a lot of water,” Alexander said.

“My husband wasn’t giving up, even when I saw the house like it would fall apart on him and I kept shouting to him to come out from underneath it because it was looking so dangerous, he kept on trying to see how he could get the fire out,” she stated.

According to her, the area was surrounded by bamboo.

“We were trying to wet the bamboo so that the fire would not get to the other houses – because the houses are close,” Alexander explained.

She said the house that was destroyed by fire  was occupied by a man, his girlfriend and their two children Рa baby and a young girl who is attending secondary school.

Alexander said neighbours tried their best to save the house.

She recalled that members of the Saint Lucia Fire Service also tried their best when they arrived on the scene.

 

Related Articles

7 Comments

  1. Pastor Aristide
    April 22, 2017 at 6:23 pm Reply

    Bless them Lord

    1. Anonymous
      April 22, 2017 at 6:52 pm Reply

      Amen

    2. Anonymous
      April 23, 2017 at 1:01 pm Reply

      no one want to suffer such a lost in life. Loosing your personal stuff and be so demoralizing much less your entire dwelling – Please be aware parents stop using multiple adapter on electrical point especially the Universal ones, stop adding small transformers to every instruments and stop buying cheap and poor quality extensions. These are just some things that will cause sometimes deadly fire like this.

  2. Anonymous
    April 22, 2017 at 6:58 pm Reply

    Be strong in the lord

  3. Anonymous
    April 22, 2017 at 7:02 pm Reply

    God is able

  4. Help Them
    April 22, 2017 at 9:10 pm Reply

    My Prayers goes out to spoon and his family, so sad

  5. Funnymama
    April 22, 2017 at 9:12 pm Reply

    Thank God no lives were lost

Leave a Reply

Shares