Director of the Saint Lucia National Trust (SLNT), Bishnu Tulsie, has been urged by members of the organisation to postpone his decision to retire, an SLNT statement has said.
According to the statement, a resolution called on Tulsie to postpone the decision and continue to manage the affairs of the Trust ‘during this very important period’.
It said the resolution received unanimous support from those present at an emergency membership meeting on April 29, 2017.
SLNT Chairperson, Doctor Vasantha Chase, had disclosed last month that Prime Minister Allen Chastanet wanted Tulsie to be sent packing on the basis that the SLNT Director had lost his objectivity.
Chastanet has claimed that Tulsie has not performed.
The Prime Minister said he was satisfied when he learned that the SLNT Director’s contract would end in October.
Tensions between the current administration and the Trust have been evident recently, with the Chastanet administration proposing the zeroing of its EC$700,000.00 subvention to the organisation in the 2017/2018 budget allocation.
The opposition Saint Lucia Labour Party (SLP) said the move was in retaliation for the SLNT’s opposition to the proposed Dolphin Park at Pigeon Island and the controversial $US 2.6 billion Desert Star Holdings Limited (DSH) project.
Bishnu Tulsie is reported to have expressed a desire for an easing of tensions between the SLNT and the government, saying that the organisation would welcome a meeting with the administration to iron out their differences.
as said was in retaliation for the organisation’s opposition to the proposed Dolphin Park at Pigeon Island and the controversial $US 2.6 billion Desert Star Holdings (DSH) project.