Former St. Joseph’s Convent students receive scholarships

Former St. Joseph’s Convent students receive scholarships

Two former students of St. Joseph’s Convent (SCJ) have received scholarships to pursue studies at tertiary education institutions in Saint Lucia. The scholarships are provided by the St. Joseph’s Convent Alumnae Association in Toronto.

Ms Leeryk A. De Lima, a student of Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, was awarded the Emily Ogilvie Memorial Scholarship, while Ms Darlene M. Francis, a student of the International School, Saint Lucia, will receive the St. Joseph’s Convent Toronto Alumnae Association scholarship.

The Emily Ogilvie Memorial Scholarship is worth two thousand Canadian dollars while the SJC Alumnae Association scholarship is worth one thousand dollars.

Emily Ogilvie, nee Steele, was an alumnus of Saint Joseph’s Convent and was a founding member of the association in Toronto. She served as president for five years.

“Both young ladies demonstrated an abundance of those qualities. We look forward to great things from them in the future. We are so pleased to be able to assist them in their educational journey” she said.

1. TC
    May 5, 2017 at 9:43 am Reply

Big deal i am pretty sure these students parent have to send them.. Focus on students who cannot afford that would make better PR.

May 5, 2017 at 9:58 am Reply

Absolutely! It doesn’t make sense to give a scholarship a student who otherwise could afford it. Your depriving some hard working student who wasn’t borne with a gold spoon in there mouth. Looks like the student were intelligent but the decision makers brain dead!

May 5, 2017 at 10:10 am Reply

So true ….that’s always it

May 5, 2017 at 10:44 am Reply

Agreed so many promising young ppl felt behind because their parents have no contacts.

May 6, 2017 at 10:00 am Reply

Contacts are everything in this society thats one of the reason we are in the mess that we are. Very little is awarded on merit so being a good a#$ kisser is a more important skill that being able to deliver.

May 5, 2017 at 9:48 am Reply

Well done ladies

May 5, 2017 at 10:37 am Reply

Congratulations young ladies
    Keep on soaring higher and higher

4. Society
    May 5, 2017 at 10:42 am Reply

What about the students that are struggling..guess they have to be kicked to the cub.

5. ...
    May 5, 2017 at 11:58 am Reply

Sometimes you people need to think of the things before u post. It is because of such mentality that so much hatred and jealousy is bred. All students are encouraged to apply for scholarships but only some do. Applying for a scholarship, is like applying to a job, whatever the requirements are for such a scholarship determines the candidate. If a child who is unable to afford financially does not apply, how could they have been chosen? In other cases some scholarships are presented as awards for outstanding work in certain areas, so is it fair to give it to a child who didn’t do anything in such a field, than to one who worked their behinds off just for such a scholarship?

May 5, 2017 at 12:47 pm Reply

In some societies means testing is an important part of the equation when awarding scholarships. This makes absolute sense! Cant understand why this is an alien concept here.

1. ehhem
        May 5, 2017 at 4:30 pm Reply

They call it a needs assessment here, and even with this, some kids who are deprived financially but carry a “prominent” name would be deprived of such opportunity. I clearly remember a case where a friend did not qualify for a bursary 15 years ago, because her family wasnt considered poor. Her father was ill and bankrupt but wasn’t getting a sale for their home. His well-known family was too busy fighting amongst themselves but couldnt be bothered with their own who was tired of being turned down. She dropped out of school, but thanks to correspondence schooling she was able to further studies while working at a restaurant.

May 5, 2017 at 6:23 pm Reply

Which planet are u from tell me. Every one knows there is a damn process, but can the process not be biased.

6. Amanda De Lima
    May 5, 2017 at 12:19 pm Reply

My child was awarded based upon merit. If you the writer cannot even spell the word CURB why should you be the one to receive such an award. Don’t piss me off.

Amanda De Lima to all anonymous.

Stop hurting those around you.

1. Lydia
      May 5, 2017 at 12:37 pm Reply

Thank you Amanda! She work for it!! They need to shut the hell up and try doing something better with their lives and stop hating on progressive people whom they know nothing about. Bunch of cowards. Don’t get me started too for my little cousin.

May 5, 2017 at 7:53 pm Reply

I agree TC! They can afford. Cheupz

May 5, 2017 at 7:55 pm Reply

Amanda and Lydia whatever….. That’s a biased decision I’m sure…. And your daughter/cousin is an ungrateful child…. So whatever…. Anyway all the best and do good

1. Angelina John
        May 8, 2017 at 2:19 am Reply

Leeryk is an ungrateful child and you are a coward.
        If you know so much about her , why don’t you print your real name? I challenge you.

7. Lydia
    May 5, 2017 at 12:38 pm Reply

Go girls!!!

8. Angelina John
    May 6, 2017 at 8:23 am Reply

Congratulations Leeryk. Don’t worry about these haters and jealous people. Continue to strive for excellence.

We need to encourage the youth and not try to bring them down even when they do something good.

9. Harriete
    May 6, 2017 at 9:46 am Reply

That system is biased. Going to International school and receiving a scholarship?

1. Angelina John
      May 8, 2017 at 2:10 am Reply

Amen

May 6, 2017 at 8:47 pm Reply

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, and abides in the shade of the Almighty says to the Lord, “My Refuge, my Stronghold, My God, in whom I trust!”

It is he who will free you from the snare of the fowler who seeks to destroy you;
    He will conceal you with pinions and under his WINGS YOU (l
    LEERYK AND Darlene) WILL FIND REFUGE.

You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day;
    Nor the plague that prowls in darkness, nor the SCOURGE that lays WASTE at noon.

A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right
    YOU TWO, IT WILL NEVER APPROACH ;
    His faithfulness is BUCKLER AND SHIELD

YOUR EYES HAVE ONLY TO LOOK
    TO SEE HOW THE WICKED ARE REPAID
    You who have said, “Lord, my REFUGE!” and have made the most high your dwelling.

UPON YOU (LEERYK AND DARLENE) NO EVIL SHALL FALL
    NO PLAGUE, APPROACH WHERE YOU DWELL
    For he you has he commanded his angels, to KEEP YOU IN ALL YOUR WAYS

They shall bear you upon their hands
    Lest you strike your foot against a stone.
    On the Lion and Viper, YOU WILL TREAD
    And trample the young lion and the dragons.

Since he clings to me in love, I will free him;
    protect him, for he knows my name.
    When he calls, I shall answer ” I AM WITH YOU”
    I will save him in distress and give him glory.

With length of life I will content him
    I shall let him see my saving power. GLORY BE.

HE WILL CONCEAL YOU (LEERYK AND DARLENE) with his wings, you WILL NOT FEAR the terror of the night.

ALLELUIA, ALLELUIA, ALLELUIA!!!!!

May 6, 2017 at 9:15 pm Reply

PLEAD MY CAUSE, O Lord, with THEM THAT STRIVE AGAINST LEERYK AND DARLENE: fight against them that fight against THEM.

Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for their help.

DRAW OUT THE SPEAR, and stop the war against them that persecute them: say unto their souls, I am thy salvation.

Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after the souls of LEERYK AND DARLENE: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise their hurt.

Let them be as chaff before the wind: and LET THE ANGEL OF THE LORD CHASE THEM.

Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the Lord persecute them.

FOR WITHOUT CAUSE have they hid for your daughters their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for their soulsl.

Let destruction come upon the evil and jealous people at unawares; and let their net that they hath hid catch themselves: into that very destruction let them fall.

And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord: it shall rejoice in his salvation.

All my bones shall say, LORD WHO IS LIKE UNTO THEE, which deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?

False witnesses did rise up; they laid to the charge of LEERYK AND DARLENE, things that they knew not.

They rewarded them evil for good to the spoiling of their souls.

But as for me, YOUR WARRIOR, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.

I, YOUR WARRIOR, behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.

But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against your daughters, and I knew it not; they did tear them, and ceased not:

With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon your daughters with their teeth.

Lord, how long wilt thou look on? rescue YOUR DAUGHTERS soul from their destructions, your darling from the lions.

I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.

Let not them that are enemies wrongfully rejoice over thy DAUGHTERS: neither let them wink with the eye that hate THEM without a cause.

For they speak not peace: but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land.

Yea, they opened their mouth wide against YOUR DAUGHTERS and said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it.

This thou hast seen, O Lord: keep not silence: O Lord, be not far .

Stir up thyself, and awake to my judgment, even unto the cause of LEERYK AND DARLENE, my God and my Lord.

Judge your daughters, O Lord my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over them.

Let them not say in their hearts, Ah, so would we have it: let them not say, We have swallowed them up.

Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion together that rejoice at the hurt of LEERYK AND DARLENE: let them be clothed with shame and dishonour that magnify themselves against these children.

Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour their righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the Lord be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.

And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long. ALLELUIA, ALLELUIA, ALLELUIA!!!!!

May 6, 2017 at 9:29 pm Reply

JESUS, sometimes we can almost sense the heaviness of pressure mounting and the ominous presence of darkness around our children.

We recognize the enemy is at work again. Whether he’s trying to discourage our children to get sidetracked, to fall into temptation, to give up, or to take their eyes off you, he’s always hanging around.

We need your supernatural power, Lord, to stand strong and not surrender. Physical force won’t help, because you’ve said the weapons of our warfare are different from those in this world.

As believers, ours are powerful and CAN DEMOLISH strongholds and LIES. These supernatural weapons originate from you. By your precious name and blood, Jesus, WE are asking you to confuse Satan and CANCEL HIS ATTEMPTS to shut our children and their hard labour down. Help them not to become discouraged or to give in when heavy times of testing come.

When our children are tired and weak, you are strong, Lord, and you are their only source of help. Our CHILDREN cannot fight without you. Teach them how to pray and to trust you to pull down those strongholds that keep them or others helpless.

Guard our Children from JEALOUSY, HATRED, SPIRITS OF DARKNESS, HEXES AND SPELLS, PRAYERS NOT SAID IN YOUR NAME, that leaves them exposed and vulnerable.

We believe you destroyed the power of the enemy by your death and resurrection. But like a bad penny, their enemies keeps showing up, whispering lies, twisting truth, and attempting to inflate selfish pride. In your Holy name, we bind all spirits of the air, water, ground, underground and netherworld. We further Bind in JESUS NAME, any and all emissaries of the satanic headquarters and claim the PRECIOUS BLOOD OF JESUS in the air, atmosphere, and water, ground and their fruits around us, the undergrounds and the netherworlds below.

HEAVENLY FATHER, ALLOW YOUR SON JESUS, TO COME NOW, WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT, THE HOLY ANGELS TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN FROM ALL HARM AND TO KEEP ALL EVIL SPIRITS FROM TAKING REVENGE ON OUR CHILDREN IN ANY WAY.

IN THE HOLY NAME OF JESUS

May 6, 2017 at 9:44 pm Reply

I am declaring the devil and his demons liars today, Lord. Through the power of your precious name and blood, I agree with your Word and the truth that you are in me and that you are greater than my enemy who wants to rule the world. You, your Word, and prayer, Lord, are my secret weapons. I belong to you, and that fills me with a powerful God-confidence. I want to constantly dress in the spiritual armor you give me. Help me use it to defend others from Satan’s fiery darts as well. No one and nothing can snatch me away from your hand.
    Strengthen my faith, Lord. Forgive my sins, so that I may be clean in your righteousness. Make me brave, so I can stand and fight the spiritual battles in my life and in our world. Give me your wisdom and discernment so I won’t be caught off guard. Together, Lord, we’ll win, because in truth, you already have.

In Jesus’s powerful name before which EVERY KNEE shall bow, Amen!

May 8, 2017 at 1:47 am Reply

Amen.

May 19, 2017 at 2:04 pm Reply

TC and company, here is the criteria:
    “According to the association’s president, Mrs. Althea Regis, the association was looking for students with demonstrated leadership skills, as well as creativity and above average intelligence.”

I do not know about your creativity buy you have demonstrated a lack of intelligence here. So whatever your economic background, you would not qualify.

It’s not about how poor you are. They said clearly it’s about how intelligent and creative you are.

Congratulations to the two ladies.