Relative: Baby found with rope around neck

Relatives of an eight month old baby girl who was found dead at her home in the George Charles Boulevard, Marchand yesterday, have been speaking out about the tragedy.

The child’s great-aunt, Eleanor Lambert,  said she was at work last night when she was called and told about the death.

Lambert, who would not permit a full frontal photograph of herself to be taken by reporters, said that from the information she gathered the mother left the child in a playpen.

“She is a girl when she is going she don’t close her door – her door always open; her door don’t have no latch – she just put a rope in the door and she leave the child sleeping in the playpen in the corner. When she come back – she gone and buy pampers – when she come back she reached the door closed,” the great-aunt said.

She  said the mother reported that when she tried to open the door it was ‘hard’.

According to Lambert, when the child’s mother eventually got the door open the child was in the playpen by the door with a rope around the infant’s neck.

“Melissa is not a girl that bad. Melissa will take care of all her children. If she don’t have nothing to give her children she will go and look for it where it is. She is not a bad girl – she is a very good girl,”Lambert said about the mother of the deceased infant.

Cecilia,  the child’s grandmother,  who also preferred that a frontal photograph of herself not be taken, recalled that the mother explained that she had gone to buy pampers for the infant.

(Cecilia)

Cecilia said  the mother, who has a habit of leaving her door open, returned to find the door closed.

According to the grandmother, when the mother opened the door she found a rope around the  neck of the child who was in a playpen.

She explained that the rope was the same one that the mother uses to secure the door to the home.

The mother, who is said to be in her twenties, is currently assisting the police with investigations.

The deceased infant was the last of the woman’s five children, according to relatives.

1. nick nack
    May 23, 2017 at 3:49 pm

No frontal photo but her full name is stated though…. thats dumb

1. Peepoo
      May 23, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Said the same thing.. how dumb

May 24, 2017 at 6:48 am

Because that’s the most important thing out of this entire article

May 24, 2017 at 10:31 am

Only god knows I can’t judge no

2. Sue
    May 23, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Wow wow wow wow

May 23, 2017 at 3:53 pm

sad…but a Mother should NEVER leave her child alone for any reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. MARCHANDEER
    May 23, 2017 at 4:07 pm

Marchand , the crime capital of Castries. Even babies they killing now, POOR JAB

5. You Did it!
    May 23, 2017 at 4:14 pm

This is a lie. She is not a good mother at all. All her children are living in bad conditions. is her habit leaving the child alone and going and dwivay. She is well known in the area. Pampers she went and buy eh? I hope she came back with the pampers or with the receipt for the pampers. Melissa always lives the child alone to go on her business. everybody knows it. Who would want to kill an innocent child like that. All the police has to do is their work and they will get to the truth

May 23, 2017 at 4:28 pm

We all have good and bad in us ,but she not a bad person I know her from a kid,yes she should not leave the baby alone.
      My God let her go through her pain alone .
      We say to much when the shoes on our feet yet.
      So so sad😰😢

May 23, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Something not sounding right there.

May 23, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Lord put a hand and have mercy on us!!!

8. annonimous
    May 23, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Wow wow do if da door was hard and she know she didn’t leave it so y she didn’t call some body am only asking I Dont know if she did call any one

1. Xoxo
      May 23, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Your child is inside you’ll waste your time to go call someone? First thing you’ll want to do is Break down the door

9. annonimous
    May 23, 2017 at 4:33 pm

This one is a big puzzle for me am not god am not judging da story is just not in line

May 23, 2017 at 5:28 pm

agreed

10. I don't care
    May 23, 2017 at 4:36 pm

She should be in prison!!!! No if what’s or bit about it.

May 23, 2017 at 4:44 pm

melissa is a good girl she will never kill her child i known her personally and she will never do it … awaa why the person do that messsy

May 23, 2017 at 4:47 pm

hmnmmmmmmmmmm

May 23, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Arrest the mother Weh is the pampers my god not sleeping

14. Use your Common Sense
    May 23, 2017 at 5:02 pm

I don’t think someone killed this child. If you read what was said by the aunt and actually use some common sense, you would realize it was an accident. I know what you’re thinking “but it was ruled a homicide!”. My answer is yes…certainly so. No let me explain, a 9 month old is found with a rope around they neck, they are a baby and obviously don’t know anything about suicide, right? So obviously you would think someone did it. Baby are smart though but not that smart. If any of you are parents, you know a baby at that age can drag themselves in a playpen to another location other than where they were. I believe that the baby woke up and made get way to the door in that manner and say the rope which was used to pull the door “close” and somehow got caught around her neck. If you are still in disbelief, ask yourself why would a child murderer take the time to push the baby behind the door after they strangled them…that doesn’t make sense.

1. DA
      May 23, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Well done u can’t be Lucian

2. Read over
      May 23, 2017 at 5:43 pm

no you need to use your common sense and read again.the child is eight month old silly you and the mother leave the door open she din’t lock the door.she leave the child in the play pen and meet the child in the play pen.she is a bad mother just for leaving the child alone at home.case done

1. YOUZ N ASS
        May 23, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Stop being a judgmental prick kids get into danger all the time . read carefully. how can someone close a door an hang a baby a cat can push a door a crawling 8 month old cant? come on…. as a baby start to crawl number one thing the get out of is a play pen so shut up with your ignorant no thinking . kids chock them selves to death drown them self cus the dont know. you cant just coming blaming it on any one YOU WEREN’T THERE SO SHUT UP. (Words deleted)

May 23, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Wow u such a GRT FBI agent in

May 23, 2017 at 6:38 pm

This may be true but there were other kids in the house so the family is not telling the full story, the oldest being 6. I asked myself the same thing how did the person get out of the house. Am so tired of hearing mothers left babies at home alone to run an errand. What does it take to go out with your child. Wait till she is awake and take her. Now not trying to insinuate anything but being from the area this baby gradma was one of the moms killed in marchand a few yrs ago and the guy that got killed in black mallet last week is also related to the dad hmmm. Crazy world we live in. Hope it was an accident and not murder.

May 23, 2017 at 11:51 pm

This version of events makes the most sense.

1. Blindspot
        May 24, 2017 at 10:21 am

Agreed!

15. Governments suck
    May 23, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Wow watch the condition ppl lives in ,fustration cause anything .

16. Society
    May 23, 2017 at 5:08 pm

The judges and the jurors..keep on making u’ll educated stupid comments..who feels it knows it.

17. Lucian born
    May 23, 2017 at 5:16 pm

A woman with 5 children never cause harm to anyone of them before all of a sudden is guilty. Now you know all about her and her negligent ways. Have you ever gotten human services involved concerning the children. We’re too hypocrite and judgmental in St lucia. Wait on the investigation to be complete before blacklist people. Nou twop viciez.

May 23, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Wow u know the kids was unwanted,she never hurt them,u may b was also an unwanted kid that y u know so much abt her kids.(Expression deleted)

May 23, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Agree with u

May 23, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Soo true..not because she left baby means she is capable of hurting them

May 23, 2017 at 6:49 pm

It only takes once to snap. Every child is different

4. Marchand inquires
      May 23, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Ok let me start with the grand aunt : The mother never locks her door.. It is always open…There is no lock on the door….. But yet still she close it with the rope hmmm…..She went out came back and then to get pampers when she come back the door close…. Ok so was the door open or close cause if she closed it with the rope why was she suprise when she returned and it was closed..REMEMBER SHE USED THE ROPE TO SECURE IT… Mother repeats the same thing that she never closes her door it is always open….. If there is no latch on this door why was it so hard to open remember this little baby is 8 months so probably weighing 20 lbs and a playplen is very light weight this is why its called a pac and play for easy travel access…. Which can easily be pushed like they said there was no latch on the door. To keep the door secured…. Why did she go out came back never checked on the baby go back to buy pampers and then she return the second time that’s when she found the baby… Just not adding up. I can’t say the mom or who did it but the careless on her part. So whether she did it or not she should be charged with muder or negligence homicide..

May 23, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Correct playpen

May 23, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Same thing I said they just got nothing to say

May 23, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Sound fishiy to me. How does an 8 month old who is in a playpen find a way to get a rope that is one end tied to something and be able to wrap it so securely around her neck and hang herself? Was the playpen so close to the door? Was the rope so long? How did the door close? Did anyone see her close the door..the mother that is… Many questions need to be asked about this? It’s not far fetched that young parents are under so much pressure to take care of their unwanted children (never planned to have children) that they decide to end their lives instead. We live in rough times…it’s no excuse for doing such vile things, but it does happen. Hope the cops find the truth.

May 23, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Totally agreed !

May 23, 2017 at 6:15 pm

I fully agree with u an if the baby did she’s to careless

May 23, 2017 at 6:46 pm

TOTALLY AGREE 1. Who is to say that the baby was even walking or standing yet to have the strength to stand take the rope and wrap it around her neck. 2 With the baby weight pulling the rope on the door it wouldn’t be closed as tight as the family is saying. Her weight would pull the door open. 3 How tall was this baby if the rope was being used to close the door to reach it. Just asking the story is just not adding up

4. Marchand inquires
      May 23, 2017 at 7:53 pm

May 23, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Purge Marchand or build a damn wall around it. Destroy those ghettos which attracts squatters like flies.

May 23, 2017 at 5:45 pm

So you all believe the baby commit suicide?

21. Columbiana
    May 23, 2017 at 5:54 pm

For those persons who are quick to jump and raise the red flag that she did it . Are u in any position to judge her?NO! Let the damn investigators do their job and u yourself go find something constructive to do. Let God be the judge of her and all of us

22. Sad
    May 23, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Where is the other kids of this good girl her mother and great aunt claim she is and she taking care of her kids where were they.ppl bye

1. Blindspot
      May 23, 2017 at 7:17 pm

That story full of holes. No mention of the other kids. I’m thinking one of the kids did it.

23. meddard
    May 23, 2017 at 6:04 pm

God and the person who did it know who did it,,,,,stop speculating.

May 23, 2017 at 6:05 pm

I know her and she is not a bad mother she is struggling but she will do whatever it takes to feed her children… Let God be the Judge and for those of you’ll who are so harsh please make sure you’ll have not had any abortions sin is sin

May 23, 2017 at 6:10 pm

People lets leave this for the police and private investigator if we have !!!!!!!!!

May 23, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Somethings don’t sound right …8months can bearly do much for his/her self…choops lady speak the truth …I vex Der now . (Expression deleted)

May 23, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Look is what the Dr say on the death certificate that count.
    I know her as a kid she will not never hurt her kids .
    But there is a God and he will let Justice be served.
    My God Ash I feel ur pain but u b strong god will help u b strong for ur other kids.😍😘.
    Rip baby girl

28. Smh
    May 23, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Only thing I’m thinking ….they say she is a mother of 5 with the deceased baby being the last so 1: where were the other 4 kids while she went out to get the pampers?
    2: what was the time
    …………………………………………………………………………….
    I’m not God so I’m not judging I don’t know what happened I don’t know the person so masav I eh casting no stones ……#I’mout

May 23, 2017 at 6:32 pm

There u lucians go again, lawyer, jury, judge and prosecutor. When will u people STOP? Father, take charge.

May 25, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Have you been to any country? If you did, then you would know that people from all walks of life say what’s on their minds. Lucians are not the only ones. However, God knows what really happened, and the one who is guilty knows it too! Now some people commented that why didn’t one of the people the mother told she was going to the store cast an eye on the baby. There can be many reasons for them not checking up on the baby. When I was growing up, there was a young woman next door who kept on having babies . She really loved to cus, and I’m sure she might have left her baby several times unsupervised to run an errand. No one would dare go to her house and check on her baby. So this mother now – Ash, I don’t know how comfortable people felt to intervene in her life. The real victim is this lil baby who could not defend herself.

May 23, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Stop all the bashing if all her children are living in bad condition haw many of you all ever gave any assistance or rather raise little finger.(Words deleted).

May 23, 2017 at 6:39 pm

People

32. Cam
    May 23, 2017 at 7:07 pm

Rip little angel…
    * Young woman in her twenties
    * She lives in a ghetto
    * She has 5 children
    * She leaves the door open and goes about her rounds
    * Her door doesn’t even have a lock
    * She apparently has done it several times before and came home to her child
    * No one ever felt it necessary to report the matter because that’s just how it’s done in most areas like this
    * They form their own little community within the community
    * I don’t know the young lady personally but I sincerely believe this was an accident
    *Babies at that age move their playpens and I believe that’s what happened
    * By pulling the door to get it to open she must have ended the child’s life ….Which off course I don’t believe was intentional
    * Let’s all be mindful that one’s struggle and circumstances doesn’t make one evil and yes I do agree that young children should not be left alone
    * Young lady for the next few weeks you will hear many things….Your life has changed forever. You have a choice to make now…Please choose to learn from your journey these next few weeks. I can imagine how tough it is to loose a child and still have to be investigated but it is what it is so be encouraged young lady …Be encouraged

May 23, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Wow 😲 o my god what going on even a baby in that too my god

May 23, 2017 at 7:22 pm

This was an accident!!!

May 23, 2017 at 8:00 pm

SMH

36. Sympathize
    May 23, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Donot know the mother but i have learnt not to speculate and this practice has helped me become a better human being towards people. We were not there so we should not judge. Let the police do their job. I am a mother of two and my heart goes out to her. I was at the hospital visiting a friend when the car she was travelling pulled up outside Casualty. I saw how she dashed into the place and knocked frantically on the door. I also witnessed her reaction to the news of her baby’s death a few minutes after she arrived and by god it was heart wrenching. I donot know how the child died but as a mother i sympathize with you

37. A big heart
    May 23, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Opinions! Opinions! Opinions! Until it hits home! Why not show a genuine interest? Why not offer some sort of support? We breed negativity among us too often….

So many of u claim to know Ash… Before this story how many of u offered assistance or contacted social services on the kids behalf? NO ONE! BUT majority HV condemned her based on the storyline here….

This could be a genuine accident or a homicide as the autopsy has ruled but we’ll never know…. Don’t be so mean, it’s a hard pill to swallow. I feel her pain.

I am praying for u Ash

May 23, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Am here visiting . I don’t know the young lady and her baby ..I have read those comments they made my stomach sick.i enjoyed hearing the mother talking to the baby and when the baby crys I will hear the mother would say look her and there was no more crying the mother voice always sounds so comforting never hostile yes she wasn’t perfect but she showed love to the baby I pray God to comfort and strengthen you

May 23, 2017 at 10:06 pm

Come again. You are a visitor? You don’t know the parties involved, but you hear the baby cry and the mother consoling the baby? I am deeply confused.

39. Tenda
    May 23, 2017 at 9:08 pm

I’m not here to speculate. But for the ppl saying that the baby could have accidentally strangled herself remember that the rope was used to secure the door when the mother went out so that rope was on the outside if the door I’d assume . I think the other kids would be the best bet to say what happened in that house if they were there.

40. Joanna
    May 23, 2017 at 9:15 pm

We need more information before judging or coming to a. A conclusion. All that had been said isn’t adding up. I am tired of hearing ” island People” or culture” . She was negligent for leaving the baby/babies unattended. That’s endangering. That’s at least one she is or doll be held accountable for. The rest is left or should be left to be investigated.

May 23, 2017 at 9:54 pm

This is so sad….I’m so lost for words…may God comfort Ash…In her time of need…nobody knows what she goin through right now,,,innocent little baby….I heard that the baby stifled in the playpen…and now a rope was found around the neck…..Father God put a hand…

42. Aa
    May 23, 2017 at 11:10 pm

I can’t understand that

May 24, 2017 at 12:06 am

The young lady may have negative characters like we all do
    Buy lets give her the benefit of the doubt
    Things do happen mystically. Baby girl u know ur heart. Just remeber JAH NO SLEEP.

44. Kanz
    May 24, 2017 at 8:05 am

I want to see a picture the door and the rope in it and where the playpen was b4 she left n how she discovered it on return.

May 24, 2017 at 11:54 am

Are you the DPP?

45. Unruly
    May 24, 2017 at 8:24 am

Where is that child father I think he should be investigated we so quick to judge in down in the ghetto its different if she have four already y kill number five make no sense all the ppl dat talking did urll ever offer to watch the kids

May 24, 2017 at 8:44 am

Some comments are being eface y and others staying tipical Lucian’s the ppl whose judging know who did it yes

47. Melon
    May 24, 2017 at 9:02 am

EVERYONE there she not a bad mother she struggling …Where is the father? did any of u mention family planing too her birth control works after 2 kids your independent senses should start kicking in of wanting to better yourself SMH she shouldn’t have to be struggling if the dad is involved some of women need to really need to wake up stop allowing nonsense to happen to them but it is sad how this happen rest in peace little one.

48. curious
    May 24, 2017 at 10:13 am

IF someone tied the door with a rope after leaving the house…wouldn’t it been tied from the outside and not the inside? So if the rope is on the outside how can it be reached by the baby? And if the rope was tied from the inside…how did the person get outside? #justwondering

May 24, 2017 at 11:23 am

All we can do is to pray for this young lady and stop judging no one is perfect.

50. Drugs
    May 24, 2017 at 11:26 am

Some thing is fishie bad no one will take an innocent babies life yh and the papers and reciet check for it and time on the reciet… And we shall no

May 24, 2017 at 11:38 am

You all can believe and say what you want, but this woman broke rule number one when it comes to proper parenting. “never leave your child alone without some sort of proper supervision. NEVER!! From the looks of it this girl is nothing but a “baby factory” She’s got 4 others and no doubt there’ll be plenty more on the way. They’re packed like sardines in that squalor. Best advice, “somebody explain sterilization to this girl.”

52. Tired
    May 24, 2017 at 12:03 pm

This is so sad. Innocent child, dead! Wow. God’s not dead.

53. Forensic rookie
    May 24, 2017 at 12:36 pm

I not buying that story..Gone out and return your baby is dead.Door was left open and return found locked!Hey)))))door was locked so incase someone heard the child screaming of his/her pain.Left the child dead and acted to go the store.(1)Why leave your child behind?(2)How long that child been dead?The mother should be charge to the max.It hurt me to hear how parents do dirty vibes and blaming on others.

54. Chewps
    May 24, 2017 at 1:25 pm

I hope she is charged for child negligence. No responsible parent would leave their child alone in a house asleep. End of story . Whether she is a good girl or not is irrelevant! She is an irresponsible mother!

May 24, 2017 at 3:12 pm

I agree with you coll

May 24, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Yeah, this story reak’s of parental murder. Check that body for physical abuse, bruising, Where the other kids at, when all this went down? The kids may need treatment if they witnessed the crime.

August 14, 2017 at 11:06 am

Oh..my..God..you mean to tell my humans behave like that..What a head ache. .wow..😱 wow..Wow.you mean to tell me all these people with all their negative Comments saw what happened to the baby.only the Almighty. can judge.let him do his job..thats sad eh..all these people posting negative comments are perfect..for All have sined and come short of the glory of God..All