United and Strong says LGBT not responsible for breakdown in family values

United and Strong says LGBT not responsible for breakdown in family values

The advocacy group United and Strong has pushed back against suggestions that same-sex relationships was leading to a decay in traditional St Lucian family values.

The organization likened the notion that the LGBT community was responsible for the problems in society to “taking a back door approach.”

United and Strong advocates for the rights of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) people.

The organization’s Communications and Advocacy Officer, Bennet Charles blamed the breakdown in traditional St Lucian family values on single-parent households and the issue of men not “accepting their responsibilities as fathers” and parents failing to spend enough time grooming their children.

”No matter the situation, no matter your sexual orientation. Once someone feels accepted, once someone feels love, that is the family and too often we like to look for scapegoats as to the reason why families are failing in this country,” Charles said.

Mr Charles says one of the main agenda items of United and Strong is pushing for a change to current laws on buggery and gross indecency as well as fighting the discrimination of LGBT people in society.

1. CP
    June 2, 2017 at 2:42 am Reply

I agree LGBT relationships are not the root cause of the denigration of Saint Lucian or Caribbean values for that matter.People should be free to live their lives whether or not it is in agreement with, or it synergizes with the way others live.However respect is two fold.It appears to me that most of the time the LGBT community is trying to push an agenda whereby they want or deserve respect but are not willing to respect the rights of non LGBT individuals.So at the end of the day both sides should respect the rights of each other.Furthermore I think sincerely that there is no such thing as St Lucian values or Caribbean values anymore.We have adopted American and European values and substituted those for ours and by so doing inculcated A myriad of issues that come with it.

2. greta
    June 2, 2017 at 8:45 am Reply

Where has those huge lips been?

June 2, 2017 at 9:19 am Reply

Dont forget God created man and woman Adam and Eve NOT Adam and Steve scripture says NO homosexual shall have part in Gods kingdom

June 2, 2017 at 9:36 am Reply

Ppl when u wrong u wrong ..if I see u doing something an I no its wrong to do an I stand by an watch u do it what does that make me…a Hypocrite).. N God doesnt like Hypocrisy…so my point is y’all no an I kno that it is wrong for a man to sleep with a man like wise a woman for a woman so I. Not happy with lucian s wanna live this way we were one of the country that was so strong against it now really we have ppl representing it …so sad ..look out its hurricane session…. I pray

June 2, 2017 at 9:36 am Reply

Season

June 2, 2017 at 9:46 am Reply

What am really not happy about is when ppl say judge not if its wrong an I tell u its wrong why am I judging u …if u see ur brother falling by the road just stop an say u going the wrong way …y’all mind are narrow minded so we should write an tell u going the wrong. Way …so don’t call us judgemental ..cuz on judgement day u gonna wish u had listen ..when we were trying to guide u …and your followers… Sir

June 3, 2017 at 12:46 am Reply

What a bunch of hillbillies, learn to spell and write before u condemned people.