Couple’s photo sparks body image debate

Couple’s photo sparks body image debate

BBC:-When 25-year-old student Jasmine “Jazzy” Owens shared an Instagram image of herself and her husband Keenen in their bathing suits, she recalled how she “could never understand why” he would be with her.

Her picture went viral and has sparked a conversation about how society judges female bodies, compared to their male partners. Now she’s spoken to BBC Trending about how a bout with depression inspired her to chronicle her journey to accepting her body as it is.

Owens wrote on Instagram that while she had struggled with her body confidence, her husband had loved “every curve, every roll, and every stretch mark on my body”. She added that she was now on a path to accepting herself as she is and encouraged other women to do the same.

The post has received more than 69,000 likes and hundreds of comments hailing her as “great role model for women” and “inspiring”. But the online conversation also brought out the attitudes that she’s trying to fight back against – with people ready to judge her by her looks.

Jazzy reposted one that told her to “stop your delusion, these pics are gross and has already been shared as a meme.” Others comments were far more vitriolic – pointing to how Jazzy’s body type was different to her that of her gym-honed husband.

Jazzy told BBC Trending that she has been called “fat, ugly, unhealthy, that I’m going to die young, that my husband is cheating on me or only in it because I am rich” – something which she points out is not true. “I never thought that it would blow up like it did,” she says. “When it happened, I was in complete shock. Anxiety through the roof, mixed emotions of happy and scared at the same time.”

Jazzy decided to make her Instagram page public and share images of herself on a “journey to loving my body” after she had experienced a bout of depression.

“I hated the way I looked during the depression. But when I started feeling better, I thought I should share that experience and inspire other women that my be going through the same thing to feel the same way.”

“Even though it scares me to have the whole world see me, it also brings me joy to know that I am not hiding any longer.”

The couple live in Honolulu with their two children, where Keenen is posted in the US military. They’ve known each other since elementary school.

The husband in the picture, Keenan, told BBC Trending that he is supportive of his wife’s decision to share her fitness goals on Instagram. “It felt amazing to see my wife story being shared across the world as inspiration for other young women,” he says.

But has Jazzy been put off sharing more images by the negative comments? “Not at all,” she says “this response has motivated me to love myself even more and to try to help other women and men love themselves – no matter what they look like”.

June 8, 2017 at 5:39 pm Reply

The man loves his wife in all her splendour and she loves him in return; end of story. Opposites attract!

June 8, 2017 at 6:05 pm Reply

Lady you are beautiful.

June 8, 2017 at 8:26 pm Reply

There is a hidden message in this story. Women who exposes their body to attract men. Don’t take me wrong I love to see a women with a nice/fit body. However sometime the exposure is deliberate to attract men. Those women with good looking bodies who deliberately exposes it to attract men should learn from this story. Some men don’t go for the nice/fit body and I would add beautiful face. It is about what the man wants from the woman. Comfort, Joy, Trust, Happiness etc. With LOVE we get all of these. When you love someone, figure is never a factor. We see with our heart. It becomes a problem when the woman allows her figure makes he loose comfidence in herself hence causing love lost.

June 9, 2017 at 8:59 am Reply

You sound bitter

4. sharon terrell
    June 8, 2017 at 10:17 pm Reply

This is just the beginning,Whos good looking who’s ugly whos fat,whos skinny,whos short whos tall.I see a black good looking brother whos a natural.He decided that pretty looks kill and he dont want none.Men are finally getting the brains in order.Beauty is in the eye of the God’s.Look at Hollywood i often wonder why these women so good looking with all their clay on their face and cannot find and evn keep a man with all their fake bodied.I love it and is see a confident sister you’re must have a million dollar personality so this man loved you.Alot if these good looking women have stink personality and are cheaters,spread their pussy thin.Your man love your heart and who you are.

June 9, 2017 at 8:32 am Reply

How you so sure the man decided pretty looks kill?
      It time people stop that nonsense when they refer to people who seem more” attractive”.
      Disgusting personalities comes in all shapes, colors, sizes etc.
      I can never seem to understand why people think that if you are an “attractive” person by society’s standard then it means that you have nasty attitude or are cheaters.

5. Yessssssss!!!
    June 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm Reply

She is beautiful

June 9, 2017 at 11:54 am Reply

As a man i will be the first to tell that there is no discrimination when selecting a partner. (Words deleted)

June 9, 2017 at 1:13 pm Reply

She’s a “COW”, and has to hold the guy’s had just to be able to exit the water. The only reason he’s with her is because her dad probably has lot’s of $$$$. Loose the chub porky!

1. Dee
      June 9, 2017 at 1:28 pm Reply

Lol….wait for it!!!

June 9, 2017 at 2:21 pm Reply

Wow!!! How mean you are!!! Who gives you the right to judge and be so critical?
      Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and beauty is from the inside out.