Tumour patient gets financial help

Tumour patient, Layne Jean, received generous financial assistance  Friday from a big-hearted Saint Lucian who lives overseas.

The donor is Carmen Barker who lives in New York.

Several of her friends donated funds.

Barker said Jean’s plight came to her attention when a friend sent her a video recording of the young Assou Canal resident.

“When I saw the video I sat on my bed and I got very emotional,” Barker said as she struggled to fight back tears.

“I sat on my bed and I am saying :’I have got to do something for this child’,” she told reporters.

Barker recalled calling a friend and informing the friend of her intention to help Jean.

“She said ‘but you’re not working.’ I said: ‘It doesn’t matter,'” the New York based donor said.

Barker said she sent the video recording of Jean to all her friends, one of whom offered his premises to host any event she had in mind.

She said she got in touch with Jean’s mother, Andrea,  obtained a photo of the mother and the boy together for a poster and exchanged telephone numbers.

(Andrea Jean(l) and Carmen Barker)

Barker said she hosted a sold-out fund raising dance to raise money for the young tumour patient.

She presented a cheque  in the sum of $21, 978 to Jean’s family.

The donation will help the youngster to obtain medical attention in the United States.

Jean is 21 years old.

He  has a history of neurofibromatosis,  a condition characterized by changes in skin coloring  and the growth of tumors along nerves in the skin, brain, and other parts of the body.

Jean also has a  worsening deformity to his spine and needs urgent corrective surgery.

The tumour partient had previous surgery in Martinique which left him wheelchair bound.

He has had his condition since he was a baby.

An interview with Jean appeared in the Times on January 29, 2017.

1. Emy
    June 16, 2017 at 6:37 pm

God bless you guys…there are good people out there

2. Avengers
    June 16, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Our netball club saw his story and decided to help in whatever way we could. Team members donated foods items and we were able to do two big foods hampers for he and his family. It felt good to assist this gentleman. That very same night we lost one of our players who was at the presentation ceremony. Gone after doing a good deed.

3. Looshian
    June 16, 2017 at 7:09 pm

I’m glad this time nobody is blaming foreigners for their help -something Lucians are very good at.

1. Anjui
      June 16, 2017 at 7:58 pm

You had to spoil the mo.entym with your comment

June 16, 2017 at 7:12 pm

God will blessed you my lady

5. Sage
    June 16, 2017 at 7:49 pm

You gotta be kidding me…that’s the fellow I went school with primary school..someone gave me wrong info saying he pass ..smh ent way I’m happy to see you are alive an finally getting help ..no you from primary an it was never easy for you ..all the best bro ..

June 16, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Big respect to you’ll blessed

June 16, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Good job keep it up blessings ❤

June 16, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Great job my lady….Jah blessings upon you

9. Happy citizen
    June 17, 2017 at 1:18 am

Great job..thanks for having a heart…may God return the blessibgs ten-fold.

June 17, 2017 at 7:57 am

Thank you miss barker, it these times when death surrounds our young ppl it is encouraging and uplifting to see a kind heart amd mavelous person like yourself helping make the world is a better place. with ppl like you i know there is a lord

11. appreciative
    June 17, 2017 at 8:51 am

Great job Ms Barker and friends. It had to come from a good heart because it took great effort to pull this off. It reminds me of the love that Jesus has for humankind that moved him to accept the challenge of leaving his comfortable home in heaven to come and live here with wicked people and sacrifice his life for us. I hope Jean’s life will be improved with this help. All the best, Jean

12. Danny Felix
    June 17, 2017 at 9:16 am

God is there with him o have pass through a terrible accident but god there with me if I could help him I would with my heart he is there the money will come just have faith and am there with him all the times

June 17, 2017 at 9:20 am

God will bless u my lady

June 17, 2017 at 9:39 am

Known this boy since in primary school and God knows why HE have spared his life. He will come out n be a testimony for he have fought a good fight. I never stop praying for you son and am happy today you never gave up despite all the challenges.

Thank you Miss Barker. Job well done. It will be multiple. And come back to you in ten folds. A head like yours don’t need a job but a business to run. Look up multiplication coming your way. Shalom

15. Just Ras
    June 17, 2017 at 11:09 am

Like I said I have been parying for him May God continue to bless him an family an for all the people that came on board at this time , PS where are all the government minister on both sides that say their Care about us not even one of them can help The Young Man. SMH

June 17, 2017 at 11:54 am

Thank you Miss and all involved may the good lord continue the bless you in many way

17. Unknown
    June 17, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Gud job miss Barker and those involve I pray dis young man pull thru God bless u all

18. Society
    June 17, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Smh again…..im 100% sure if he had a name in society it would be a different story….i guess Jadia didn’t go through all that sufferation …the so called government at the time paid for her surgery in full..

June 17, 2017 at 6:23 pm