Shawn Edward seeking legal advice after UWP allegations

Shawn Edward seeking legal advice after UWP allegations

Press Release:-Roughly two months ago, the United Workers Party launched a vicious and unwarranted attack on my reputation and integrity. I immediately took to the media to refute and denounce the onslaught which was calculated, deliberate, and totally unfounded.

A lot of falsified figures and distorted information were presented in a manner to have a desired political impact at the national and constituency levels, where my name, character and reputation both personally and politically would have been tarnished.

I have been accused along with the board of the National Lotteries Authority which served under my watch, of having engaged in acts of impropriety. Claims which can never be substantiated!

Immediately upon their assumption of office I became aware of an investigation by the UWP government into the operations of the NLA during the reign of the SLP. The probe was carried out with a view to unearthing acts of perceived corruption.

Moreover, it was hoped by the UWP administration, that monies expended on community sporting infrastructure projects in particular, could not be accounted for, and also monies expended on other facets of youth development were not done within the remit of the NLA act, which stipulates that the monies of the Authority must be spent on Youth and Sports.

The UWP is on a witch-hunt and I will not stand idly by and allow my reputation to be sullied by political hit-men and their operatives.. Neither my spouse nor I have ever benefited from NLA resources or any public funds.

The propaganda machinery of the UWP has been unleashed on me with the vitriol that characterizes their petty politics. They have spared no effort in trying to destroy my reputation; a reputation that I earned as an honest, hardworking and committed government minister when I served in that capacity and even now that I continue to serve as an elected member of the parliament.

That notwithstanding, I will NOT be bullied by the UWP! Neither will I cower from speaking out against the numerous atrocities of this callous and vindictive government.

All attempts to destroy my reputation and consequently silence me as an advocate of the poor and marginalized will prove futile especially now that I remain even more doggedly resolute in my stance against a government which is preoccupied with vicious attacks on citizens whose thinking and disposition are at variance with the inimical policies of the day.

After an entire year of post elections fidgeting, the government is yet to settle down and work in the interest of the people. It has been embroiled in myriad of controversies, allegations of corruption, alleged nepotism, conflicts of interests and vindictiveness.

I will reiterate;

• I never signed a contract on behalf of the NLA
  • I was never a signatory to any account belonging to the NLA
  • I never signed a cheque on behalf of the NLA
  • You cannot find my name on any account at any bank in Saint Lucia, the Caribbean or the world associated with the NLA
  • I never conducted business on behalf of NLA
  • I never made payments on behalf of the NLA
  • I never pressured the Board or staff to sign cheques at the NLA
  • I was never involved in the daily operations of the NLA

As has been previously stated, I have been very vocal, particularly on platform, against the workings of this incompetent government which seem to be taking an eternity to settle down and get on with the business of the country. And so I see this sustained attack in the parliament, on social media and on certain talk-shows as an act of political reprisal…but I am not perturbed, the average Saint Lucian knows who I am and what I stand for…so this vicious attack on my character will in no way derail my commitment to serve the people of Dennery North and by extension Saint Lucia.

They government has hinted a possible inquiry into the operations of the NLA. I welcome such a development. The government should have very little difficulty accessing information given that the office staff were recruited during the reign of the UWP and so it is expected that such individuals should be very cooperative with the government of the day with whom they now enjoy a renewed working relationship.

Mrs. Fortuna Belrose who was promoted to the position of Permanent Secretary during the tenure of the Labour Party and who is now a member of the cabinet, should also be a source of information for some executed projects prior to her retirement as Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Youth Development and Sports.

I am however receiving legal advice on the obvious defamatory allegations being made against me which impute corruption in public office.  I will not sit by and allow my reputation to be tarnished by those interested in political advantage at my expense and those who challenge their performance in office.

July 3, 2017 at 2:11 pm Reply

Shawn, it is your fundamental right to seek legal redress in this matter, if you feel that you have been wronged. But please do not make the mistake of taking KDA as your lawyer in this matter. It is better to spend a little bit of money to recruit a more experienced attorney, than to risk a court appearance with this novice by your side. The unfolding time are proving him to be not-so-bright, after all !

2. R
    July 3, 2017 at 2:13 pm Reply

Crook-ed

July 3, 2017 at 2:15 pm Reply

To hell with you Shawn

July 3, 2017 at 2:16 pm Reply

So you lied in the house when you said you approved $7000. For a project in micoud when the member for mucous south came to you.

5. A Voter
    July 3, 2017 at 2:21 pm Reply

A party with so many RATS, want to take aim at Anna Honorable man like Shawn Edwards. One would think that the UWP would focus on Nation building and proving to the people whom they fooled and lied too, that their Tomfoolery overtures could actually be reality, have suddenly taken a different route. They can’t provide the ‘Ching Ching’. They can’t do crap apart from stopping everything. Well then someone will be held accountable.

6. A Voter
    July 3, 2017 at 2:25 pm Reply

And the UWP supporters are the most retarded of them all. They are so dumb, that they rather their own children starve and stay without a laptop to do their online research. Yet they are licking Allen Chastanet’s posterior like their lives depend on it.. Lol.

7. A Voter
    July 3, 2017 at 2:27 pm Reply

They want to Cover all the wrongdoings of Guy Josef. But one day, Guy. One day, your luck will run out. One day!

July 3, 2017 at 2:46 pm Reply

Ha ha ha slp song I will take you to court

9. wooooo
    July 3, 2017 at 2:48 pm Reply

Woooo now every body is court shawn jadia Kenny shawn fffff of man

July 3, 2017 at 3:25 pm Reply

Shawn heard pip got compensate a few thousands so he looking for his .
    Guilty consiens bere no accused
    No one ever said you signed cheques
    But you caused cheques to sign .
    Don’t denied that ….and you will not get anywhere with that .if it was a uwp government minister that was in charge you would blow hot air . idiot.

July 3, 2017 at 3:32 pm Reply

Take them on shawn cause they doing that to cover up bad deals to distract lucian from horse /passport and all social ills

July 3, 2017 at 3:38 pm Reply

Shawn I guess u didn’t have a minister’s account.Now u want to take everybody to court,aren’t u being illadvice?just asking.U think by making all yr threats the question is not going to be asked.

13. Trying to figure out
    July 3, 2017 at 3:47 pm Reply

Who voted UWP in? People wanted change and what now? Smh, smh am getting dizzy.

July 3, 2017 at 3:49 pm Reply

“After an entire year of post elections fidgeting, the government is yet to settle down and work in the interest of the people. It has been embroiled in myriad of controversies, allegations of corruption, alleged nepotism, conflicts of interests and vindictiveness”. Unquote…….Did you really say that? You were the most vindictive politicians I ever know.

July 3, 2017 at 4:09 pm Reply

I want them to find spider guilty. I’m supporting you Shawn
    Spider of all persons want to talk. He have 8 legs and many women.

July 3, 2017 at 4:12 pm Reply

Obviously the SLP has the shortest memories one could possibly imagine.just a few short months ago the SLP was behaving like they rule the world and no one couldn’t asked them about anything ,today they are in opposition and they still get on like they are dictators,yet they claim vindictiveness,vicious attacks,yadi yadi yadi yadi and so on,are st Lucian’s still so dum to listen to u’all hyporcrisy.

July 3, 2017 at 4:28 pm Reply

ikr

17. Quincy Anderson
    July 3, 2017 at 4:49 pm Reply

Message to u Shawn in life you have to crowl before u walk , think before u talk and most of all u have to sleep to be able to dream.My point is and am asking a question here is it possible to get a satisfactory result from this when the guys on the government side are only asking questions have they accuse u of any wrong doing?What I see from this is , from where am sitting and understanding all of this as it unfolds I think you need to answer what they are asking the market steps wouldn’t help.I think I heard the speaker of the house made reference to a ministers account from a document are u ready to take on the speaker as well.smh.

July 3, 2017 at 5:53 pm Reply

Ikr

July 3, 2017 at 5:16 pm Reply

Shawn stop whining man please stay focus on the message of unemployment and high crime rate . We the citizenry do not CARE about no damn ministers account . We want jobs and more jobs. Those are just flashing mirrors to distract us from real issues.

July 7, 2017 at 8:47 pm Reply

you asking shawn for jobs? ask allen.

July 3, 2017 at 5:17 pm Reply

July 3, 2017 at 5:53 pm Reply

My sentiment

21. St. Lucian
    July 3, 2017 at 8:20 pm Reply

SLP wants the freedom to denigrate and assassinate any ones character but they thin skin and cannot take heat. You Shawn had called Guy political hit man and now you want to cry. Boy go cry a river of tears.

July 3, 2017 at 8:52 pm Reply

valoir un-bar coo- vyeh

July 3, 2017 at 9:11 pm Reply

I would just like to point out to the St. Lucian public that when I look at my television set and see the Ministers in the house of Parliament that I feel totally disgusted. The men who we voted for and expected them to do something and act like men to bring the country forward simply act like little boys in the house. It is like a game of words that goes back and forth between the “men” who are supposed to be discussing things in order to figure out the way forward for our nation. Imagine there is no decorum among these ministers both on the government side and the opposition. Everytime one minister stands up to speak someone on the other side will make a remark and instead of ignoring the remark and carrying on with his sentence the person who is standing up to speak responds to the stupid remark. These ministers are not serious or what? Is it a game? Is that what we elected them for? Instead of getting things over and done with they waste time on national tv. Kids now a days do not even do that. They act like women fighting over petty things. Come on – be men and show the world that you people know how to behave. Are you all forgetting that you are being observed on the internet? The house sittings are being broadcast over cyber space? I feel so ashamed looking at them rocking away on those plush chairs as if they are little kids with a new toy. I wonder if they had to sit on the hard wooden chairs like us kids have to sit on for an entire day whether the house meetings would be so heated and whether those ministers would persevere at trying to see who can outspeak each other and who can outwit each other with their gumption?
    Never did I think that such decorum would be accepted in a house of parliament. I think those ministers need to be more respectful to each other. They need to allow each other to speak not butt in at any time they feel like. No respect is shown e.g. vocal showdown between the Prime Minister and other members of the opposition. Guy Joseph is also a very vindictive person. Imagine a religious person in politics should be trying to set an example to the others. Instead he is just as wicked going out to embarrass people and not knowing when to shut up and listen and allow others to speak. Everyone has a voice – this is a democratic country. He wants to cast stones … is he blameless? Too much to say and not enough space here. Advice to Shawn – man’s justice is quick but God’s justice is slow but sure. My dear minister – if you know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you did not do any contravention or wrong to the country – let God deal with it. Lawyers are people and can be bribed. God cannot be bribed. The UWP or SLP are only St. Lucians. Are they working to assist St. Lucians? Or trying to make themselves look good on one side when instead of this bickering they should be trying to solve problems plaguing all walks of life. Instead of coming together and trying to do something to alleviate problems they create chaos and confusion in the very house of parliament which is supposed to create a peaceful forum where we need togetherness and unity. Unless the 2 parties unite and stop fighting each other there can never be peace.
    They might have differences between the parties but unite to make the country better. Stop the nonsense acts and stop behaving as if election fever is still on. Elections are over. Both parties are acting as if the talks are to sway people on a political party side. This should not be. I am really fed up looking at tv and seeing learned men casting remarks to each other. Being sarcastic and casting snide remarks when the opposing party speaks and the person takes time off to respond. Be men of valour and be wise. Stop letting people see you and perceive you as little boys. Be men and lead the country. Both parties. Stop the little boy act. You are not playing a game. You are supposed to be leaders. Are you setting any example for us to follow?

24. Society
    July 3, 2017 at 9:43 pm Reply

Jadia….the money the government paid for your treatment …you should pay it back. Cause unlike many out thier…you can avoid to pay it yourself.

25. wooooo
    July 3, 2017 at 10:47 pm Reply

Ha ha ha slp song I will take you to court

26. wooooo
    July 3, 2017 at 10:59 pm Reply

My brother nobody said you sign checks who was responsible for the big payment that was made from this account the pay to Joe arkim 2×4 cosy do much money

27. Anon1
    July 4, 2017 at 9:22 am Reply

Look like only politicians and lawyers that earning “Ching Ching”

July 4, 2017 at 2:26 pm Reply

What a shame full government that has come to power