American snorkeller dies in Soufriere

An American woman on a snorkelling trip in Anse Chastanet, Soufriere, died Wednesday after  reportedly encountering difficulty.

Law enforcement sources have identified the deceased as 77 year old Mary Jane Kamm.

According to the sources, initial reports suggest that Kamm was snorkelling off the coast of Anse Chastanet when she encountered difficulty at around 2.30 pm.

Kamm, who was here on holiday, was taken to the Soufriere Hospital where she was pronounced dead at around 3.pm, according to information obtained by the Times.

July 19, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Sorry to heard that R.I N P

2. Reality
    July 19, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Oh my! I dont know the lady but it’s sad and my condolences to the family be strong. RIP Ms Kamm.

3. sharon terrell
    July 19, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Sad to hear condolences go out to the family,just wondering if she had any medical condition,or mighr have been cramps or maybe sea urchins bit her.I know a little bit about these suckers,they inflict punture wounds they have brittle fragile spines.Sea urchins can be venomous,and cause infection.Breathing problems is also a serious reaction and indication to toxins (poisons in the sea urchin.It does not sound like she drowned.She was bitten and poisoned her heart stopped blood was poisoned maybe on her leg.

July 19, 2017 at 9:33 pm

Excuse me just wondering did u perform an autopsy on her to know all those details.

July 19, 2017 at 9:52 pm

I’m wondering the same. Lmao

2. J Med
        July 20, 2017 at 9:10 am

Yes exactly. I was there and performing CPR on this poor lady. She had a port (aka. central line) and likely was on chemo or some other infusion. No need to speculate. She aspirated and I could hear fluid swishing with compressions. My condolences to her family.

2. Smh
      July 20, 2017 at 6:17 am

Sea urchins dont bite
      They dont make contact to you, you make contact with them to get injured

July 20, 2017 at 7:02 am

most likely she had a condition cause for some one to die snorkelling that sounding wrong in so many ways and base on her age most likely she was on some kind of meds
      but its sad she come an enjoy her self and it ended like that

4. Anon1
      July 20, 2017 at 8:44 am

Here you go again “Sharon Terell”

Always speculating, assuming, insinuating….

Why don’t you apply to be detective and get qualified, you may have to brush up on your grammar though.

July 20, 2017 at 9:19 am

OH WOW internet doctor … seriously were you at a telepathic autopsy.

July 19, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Rip do sad 😅

July 19, 2017 at 8:59 pm

So sad

6. Sad
    July 19, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Sad indeed. My condolences to her friends and family abroad. May her soul rest in peace

7. Merlyn Jackson
    July 19, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Sea urchins bite ??? I do not think so … The prickles protect them … Speculating like every one else I think the goodly lady may have had a heart attack …

8. Merlyn Jackson
    July 19, 2017 at 9:18 pm

May she rest in peace …

July 19, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Once she reach Soufriere Lopital her demise was gauranteed. Soufriere Lopital is a motuary.

July 19, 2017 at 9:41 pm

You pricking yoursef when you rest on them.they have prickles to protect themselves.not their fault that’s what they have

July 19, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Sad but true

10. fpjean
    July 19, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Its rather unfortunate so sad

July 19, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Oh men fun vacation turn into saddness ,my conscience goes out to her family,nay she rest in perfect peace back to her home land.

12. Real
    July 19, 2017 at 10:30 pm

I’m still stuck on 77. Sad situation. Condolences to the family and friends

July 19, 2017 at 10:48 pm

Freedom ,
    I wonder why death comes so suddenly,RIP Ms kamm ,hope the family finds comfort at the resort ! !!!

14. soufriere resident
    July 19, 2017 at 11:37 pm

The news is fake, first of all, the lady didn’t die she was lucky to survive, she had a pump in her chest and that’s what gave her the difficulty while on her adventure, secondly how did they remove her from the ocean, bring her to the hospital and she died at three o’clock, does that make sense? FINALLY SHE IS NOT DEAD

1. J Med
      July 20, 2017 at 9:12 am

Fake news???? I was there and performing CPR on this poor lady. She had a port (aka. central line) and likely was on chemo or some other infusion. . She aspirated and I could hear fluid swishing with compressions. My condolences to her family. And YES, she was transferred to a boat and taken to the hospital pulseless and apneic!

2. J Med
      July 20, 2017 at 9:13 am

Fake news???? I was there and performing CPR on this poor lady. And YES, she was transferred to a boat and taken to the hospital pulseless and apneic!

15. Tenny
    July 20, 2017 at 2:14 am

So sorry to hear of this unfortunate accident which resulted in her death. Lord please give her loved ones the strength to deal with her loss and our authorities the wisdom to handle this matter in a manner that would enlighten the burden of her friends and family.

July 20, 2017 at 5:06 am

Very sad condolence to the family

17. The shah
    July 20, 2017 at 7:19 am

I’m back with confirmed news that the lady did die,contrary to “soufriere residence” comment that she didn’t. She was pronounce dead by Dr. Marquis and unconfirmed cause of death is drowning.

July 20, 2017 at 8:17 am

@77 years old a lot could’ve gone wrong

July 20, 2017 at 8:26 am

Sharron Terrell…..at What time did you perform the autopsy on Ms.Kamm and what was the finding..or findings?……….rest im perfect peace Ms kamm

20. teckwizz
    July 20, 2017 at 12:55 pm

lol my goodness Sharron Torrell, you are a funny character. its also funny how i myself was at work on the beach yesterday and never caught sight of anyone apart from the professional staff at the dive center, trying their best to resuscitate the poor lady.. never sew you though!

July 20, 2017 at 2:13 pm

St Lucians make the most crude and insensitive comments ever and use every opportunity to attack one another….shame! Hold your words if they won’t heal or help someone.

July 20, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Hello to Anonymous. ……Lucians are one of a kind.you cant Stop up..you have your Views ..and other people. Have theirs…do you have a Job?

July 20, 2017 at 5:11 pm

R I P condolences to the family

24. Lina
    July 25, 2017 at 9:36 am

There are rip tides in anse chastanet. Even good swimmers encounter difficulty in that area trust me I know. The dive center should inform people snorkeling in that area about the rip tides and encourage them to wear life vests. Yes there are warning signs but they are not very prominent and people don’t always see the sign. My mother in law encountered difficulty snorkeling in that area two years ago and it could have ended up in tragedy.

Woman raped in DenneryRead