Police investigate suspected drowning

Police investigate suspected drowning

Police are investigating a suspected drowning in the quarter of Gros Islet.

The victim has been identified as 49 year old craft vendor, John Mason, whose body was discovered on Sunday morning at around 9:30.

Law enforcement officials say the body was discovered at the Rodney Bay Marina.

Francis Mason, the brother of the deceased, told St Lucia Times that according to the information he received, the Marine Police had rescued his sibling on Saturday.

“The police rescued him on the sea because he nearly drowned,” Francis Mason said.

“That man was drunk – he was swimming, so the police rescued him and they put him on shore,” he explained.

However Francis said that despite being rescued, his brother went back to the sea.

“Sunday morning they called me – they find him drowned,” he explained.

1. Paying Attention
    August 14, 2017 at 7:54 pm Reply

I am so confused. He was rescued and he went back in the water? Did he see a mermaid?

August 14, 2017 at 9:03 pm Reply

you are funny, you make me laugh

1. Clare
        August 15, 2017 at 8:27 am Reply

Please never joke or think its funny a man lost his life – he was a son a good devoted son and to his grandparents and he went to St Josephs – if he was drunk it was because someone was buying him drinks and he had no money he was very poor but he was not ignorant – he showed many people the real values in life- and he would have with great dignity given his deep condolences if YOU had lost one of your family members. May he rest in peace

2. Clare
      August 15, 2017 at 8:24 am Reply

This man John Mason known as Jahman or Bob Marley was a beloved friend of many people all over the world he was so kind and hardworking- he lived and worked by the sea – he was getting older like me and his sight was going-he had cataracts as he was in the sun all day all his life making a living from 8 years old- im grateful to the police for trying to take him on land but he would have been worried about his boat and there must be more to the story. Pease do not joke about this its a tragedy and he will be missed deeply

3. Faolchu Aonair
      August 15, 2017 at 10:14 pm Reply

Jahman was my friend, he saved my life, please show some respect for his memory.

2. Police investigate suspected drowning | The Caribbean Mirror
    August 14, 2017 at 9:34 pm Reply

[…] August 14th, 2017 2 comments […]

3. heather gardiner
    August 15, 2017 at 4:27 pm Reply

I have known john since he was a little boy, I am only now finding out he died. I am so sorry, he was a really nice young man. I will miss him !!!

4. Cassie
    August 17, 2017 at 1:13 am Reply

We came to Saint Lucia every year to see Marley!! We brought him all kinds of goods even sheets and mosquito nets!!
    He was our friend! I have never met anyone that was so poor but loved life to the fullest!! He was a great man!! We will miss him terribly!!

August 25, 2017 at 1:56 pm Reply

John was a great man truly righteous in every respect, always giving , always helping others he was our friend our brother and our mentor.
    Brother your in a better place the Almighty will welcome one of his favourite sons into his kingdom God bless and keep you Marley one love.