The father of Saint Lucia’s latest homicide victim has told St Lucia Times that the shooting death Wednesday night of his son, Sherwin Auguste, known as ‘Shervy’, came as no surprise.
“I raised him up as a good boy but when the man get to his age as a young man he choose to live his life – he choose to take his own way,” Michael Cherubin, who is also known as ‘Mikey’, said.
Cherubin, who at one point broke down during the interview and took a while to compose himself, recalled that he was at work at around 9 pm when someone called to say that his son had been shot at Ravine Poisson.
“That’s all I can tell you.” he explained.
He said that as a father, when such an incident happens it comes as a shock.
“It is painful at the same time,” Cherubin told St Lucia Times, his voice cracking as he fought back tears.
But he said he was expecting such a tragic end to his son’s life for a long time.
A few years ago Auguste is reported to have been kidnapped and had both his hands chopped off.
The 41 year old resident of Vanard, Anse La Raye, was shot multiple times Wednesday night in the vicinity of a business establishment at Ravine Poisson.
According to the police, initial reports indicate that Auguste was outside the establishment at the time of the shooting.
Auguste was conveyed to the Victoria Hospital via ambulance where he was pronounced dead by a medical practitioner at about 9:45 p.m, a police statement said.
The female proprietor, who at the time is believed to have been inside of her business place, was also injured during the shooting incident, sustaining a gunshot wound to her left thigh.
She is currently in stable condition.