CARIFESTA opening ceremony now on Sunday

CARIFESTA opening ceremony now on Sunday

The Opening Ceremony of the 13th edition of the Caribbean Festival of Arts (CARIFESTA) will now be held on Sunday 20 August, 2017.

The passage of Tropical Storm Harvey forced its postponement.

Barbados Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley told a news conference that there will be minor changes to the event.

Lashely said the pre-show would now be held at 4:30, with the opening parade taking place an hour earlier.

He gave the assurance that provision and accommodation would be made for the parents of children taking part in the event.

Because of the storm some delegates did not arrive on the island as scheduled.

However, Festival Director of CARIFESTA Andrea Wells said about 85 per cent of the delegates had already arrived , and a number of those whose flights were cancelled had indicated that they were able to reschedule their flights and would arrive in time for the opening.

Other changes to the festival include the rescheduling of the heritage tour of the Rock Hall Freedom Village monument in St Thomas from this Sunday to Sunday August 27.

The cultural policy and intellectual property rights workshop will take place on Sunday, August 20 at the Cave Hill School of Business from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Lashley said there will be a shuttle for persons from that event to Kensington Oval.

The youth village at the Barbados Community College will take place at 9 a.m. on Saturday, August 18.

There were no changes to the other events.

Lashley said he was satisfied that there was a lot of interest in the festival, which will see more than 500 events taking place over the ten days.

“We have issued quite a number of tickets. We expect Kensington Oval will be full capacity,” the minister said.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Shares