Chopping victim, Shem Sanghanoo has told St Lucia Times that although in pain and nursing serious injuries sustained when he was attacked on Monday by a machete-wielding man, he is grateful to be alive.
Asked how badly he was injured, his response was: “Bad, bad, bad. Very bad. My arm chopped twice – a bone cut. My neck – the wound large and deep.”
Sanghanoo, speaking from his hospital bed, disclosed that he had been given a fifty percent chance of survival.
The resident of La Tourney, Vieux Fort, recalled that he had paid a known individual to climb a coconut tree and pick some nuts.
Sanghanoo said the man proceeded to take coconuts and was told that he could not do that.
“Whilst he was cutting, I took the coconut and as I grab the coconut he gave me a lash with the cutlass to my neck and my arm,” the injured man told St Lucia Times.
Sanghanoo said he was on the ground bleeding for about 20 minutes when a neighbour took him to St Jude hospital.
He explained that he and his assailant never had any previous problems.
“If I had a problem with him before I would never come close to him when he had a cutlass,” Sanghanoo explained.
The injured man said he had been attacked for no reason.
But he declared that his situation could have been worse.
“I survived,” he told St Lucia Times.
No arrests have yet been made in connection with the incident.
Law enforcement sources told St Lucia Times that the wanted man is on the run.