British Doctor reports being raped in Saint Lucia

The Saint Lucia Hotel and Tourism Association (SLHTA) has expressed concern about the level of criminal activity against visitors in Saint Lucia.

“It is very concerning and it is something that we have got to pay attention to,” SLHTA Chief Executive Officer, Noorani Azeez said in relation to crime on the Island, adding that criminal activity will not have a positive effect on the image of the destination internationally.

He noted that because social media represent the environment in which guests seek information before making a decision on a vacation, Saint Lucia has to be very mindful of how it treats and addresses criminal activity.

“That information is going to reach far and wide in a very short space of time,” the SLHTA official stated.

Azeez said he personally feels for the concerns of victims and sympathises with them.

“I think perhaps we need to reach out to them a bit more frequently, give them an update as to what is going on if it is not already being done, provide more timely status of what’s happening if it is not already being done – you know, I think more engagement will help to address some of the pain that they are going through right now, as well as making the necessary resources available so that the legal system can process these and other outstanding cases,” he said.

According to reports in  publications including the Sun and Mail Online,  British Doctor, Georgina Mortimer said she was raped  while on a women-only sailing break in Saint Lucia in February this year.

The  45 year old British doctor, a mother of two,  was attacked in her bedroom at Rodney Bay within hours of arriving, according to the reports.

According to YBW.com, her attack lasted 15 minutes, with the rapist fleeing after someone started knocking on her door.

Mortimer discovered that in the last year, there have been 60 cases of rape reported in St Lucia, the online source said.

SLHTA CEO, Noorani Azeez, has declared that one case of rape is too many.

“We have seen destinations reel as a result of reduced arrival figures as a result of one murder or criminal activity being perpetrated against a guest,” Azeez said.

He observed that tourism continues to be this country’s ‘bread and butter’.

“As a country – as a people we have got to do what we can to be vigilant and address these issues. But you know, it is one thing to talk the talk but it is another thing to walk the walk,” the SLHTA official observed.

He noted that crime is a build up of several factors including socioeconomic, mental health and other issues as well as a feeling of perhaps being marginalised for too long and failure to identify with society.

“These are things that we have got to get our best minds together on and our best psychologists on. We have got to increase the number of social programmes that we provide to our kids,” Azeez asserted.

He explained that the hospitality industry has been trying to do its part, but expressed the view that there is need for a more coordinated effort.

1. T frank
    August 23, 2017 at 4:10 pm

She lie!!! Either money she looking for or the black boy sex was too rough.

2. G poleon
    August 23, 2017 at 4:13 pm

That boy Azeeeeeeeeez does talk a bunch of bull. Never has anything of credence to speak about reallym

August 23, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Mr. Azeez is a hard working and trusted man here in Saint Lucia. He’s done more for tourism on this small island than anybody else. You should be grateful that this type of man exists on this island.

3. A Voter
    August 23, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I don’t believe her. White women have a habit of lying about rape.

August 23, 2017 at 8:53 pm

And black too

4. 666 - No Political Affiliation.
    August 23, 2017 at 4:18 pm

It’s old news!

5. Mary
    August 23, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I do not believe her claim. She stated “a stranger heard her having trouble breathing, knocked on the door and the “rapist” escaped”.

There are plenty of security measures in rented rooms. Use the locks along with bars for sliding glass doors at night.

How are the police supposed to stop this from happening when visitors leave their common sense at home?

I was at a resort when a guest made a false report; almost costing the innocent employee their job. Beyond disgusting behavior in this century. No surprise to me why people dislike Brits visiting the island.

6. Mary
    August 23, 2017 at 4:45 pm

I do not believe her claims. Somehow a rapist entered her room and was “raping” and “choking” her when she woke up. A neighbor heard her having trouble breathing and knocked, allowing the “rapist” to escape.

Her claims make no logical sense. Hopefully, the place she stayed pays her nothing!

7. Pastor Aristide
    August 23, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Let hope that never happen.

August 23, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Hey… people we need to be careful of wat we say on social media about victims u no….I am reading all comments about this and it baffles me… although I wud say that the story may be fishy but we need to treat every story as is… I can also say that the man who came knocking shud have been interrogated…or something….. getting more than we know from this woman….we must understand that until a situation happens to us we can’t know what goes on with other ppl unless we are in their shoes…I am not asking anyone to back up the lady but until we get more info we can’t go on ridiculing ppl like this…..I remember a situation happens to me for the first tym that I was being harassed by a man I wud see around in Castries…that day I was passing by the courthouse and decided to take a little sit down right there in the open….all of a sudden this man came up to me say by me and kept telling me if I move he will hurt me…. everytime I tried to get up he wud sit me back down…I was so shocked as hell I didn’t know wat to do… imagine I saw people passing every now and then and I am watching them and as if I felt I kudnt say a word….he kept talking to me and I tried not to listen…the thing that saved me was wen he told me he goin n buy me something…so I jus say there still…wen he reached by Voyager I looked n I saw he kept peeping to see if I was still there…the next chance I didn’t see him trust.me I run like I never ran before…..I told my ppl abt it but jus didn’t no his name although his face was familiar….one week after I saw his face on news he was a drunkard and his mother was talking abt him…he was dead…. some liver problem or so….he turned up dead…his name was ika Emmanuel…..I was saved from this man behavior and I did thank God for my life…so all am sayingis one day it can be anyone of us…yes ppl tell lies to get wat they want but we need to be careful abt who we go around judging even if we believe and think story don’t add up…..we wud be amazed to know wat state of shock can do to some of us

August 23, 2017 at 5:38 pm

That’s why if I get raped I will not tell nobody far less to call police.i will just set him up and kill him .no one would know.they will say he was a good boy

10. Priest,Clinton
    August 23, 2017 at 6:54 pm

your crazy women,why you afraid to report it,you afraid he comes back with his buddies,you stupid you been violated,what kind of freak are you.come for confession soon

August 23, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Whether her comments is true or false we need to take the question of rape seriously.

12. Priest,Clinton
    August 23, 2017 at 6:59 pm

honey you need to go talk to your priest you got real problems

August 23, 2017 at 7:52 pm

I don’t know whether or not the lady is truthful. But we have not a scintilla of evidence to prove that she’s distorting the truth. So the claims that the lady lied, do not reflect reality. Crime has a very detrimental effect on society and even more so on a fickle industry such as tourism. Much more attention must be paid to criminal activities by all more particularly by the government. I have heard of no new practical initiatives to curb this ‘run away train’. The government seems intent on putting all its eggs in one basket (tourism) which is highly injudicious. I feel compelled to end with this statement. I have observed that St. Luciana get superlative pleasure from cursing people. Cursing people is like drinking alcohol. It might make you feel good for a while but it does no one any good.
    Vibz

August 23, 2017 at 7:55 pm

As someone who should know, (Law Enforcement) telling you all pertinent info tells the perpetrator also what your investigators have/our investigators may have. Things must be kept on a need to know basis until such time.

Meantime cut the complainant/victim some slack, support sympathy. Give your investigators the needed time for a thorough investigation. These things do take time. Lastly, it’s important to get all the facts and arrest the correct criminal.

Patience…….

August 23, 2017 at 8:51 pm

Everywhere has crime like england good smh

16. Steve
    August 23, 2017 at 9:04 pm

How come it’s only now people are angry? Where was the outrage when this story came out a while back. Only now because it’s making St. Lucia look bad people are getting angry. What about her anger? What about the anger of all the rape victims out there and the people too afraid to report what happened to them because of all the ignorant comments they will get from both the authorities and lay people. I am from, live and work in St. Lucia and I am not going anywhere, and I applaud what she is doing. The woman is trying to make something happen so that her rapist can be caught, basically giving a voice to all those other victims that also had their cases just sit there stagnating with nothing happening. Her rape kit should have been processed, that was sheer negligence on the part of the authorities. I don’t care what kind of reputation this gives St. Lucia because there are too many unsolved rape cases. Rape happens all over the world, but that does not make it right. Look at how many unsolved rapes there are, including those of children. Any step towards making these animals think twice about their actions is a good step.

August 23, 2017 at 9:23 pm

I agree….a lot of shallow people posting here

17. Jem
    August 23, 2017 at 9:33 pm

I find it funny that the majority of the replies are women. God forbid none of u know what is it to be rape., and will never be rape to pass these judgements.

18. @love
    August 23, 2017 at 11:47 pm

Some of these women commenting as though they are the victim, police, judges etc. God forbids y’all don’t have to feel what had happen to the victim. Y’all just too judgemental and ignorant.

August 24, 2017 at 5:50 am

They more concerned about the foreigners. What about the locals? You know how long locals have to wait for police to come address any situation? And God forbid it is a call on domestic violence, they don’t care. Tired of all the bull. Tired of the leaders who don’t care about us because they get special service.

August 24, 2017 at 5:55 am

Sad

21. Irate
    August 24, 2017 at 8:47 am

Some of the comments here are sad, this story was reported at the time of the incident so this is not a matter of whether it happened or not. We have a problem here with sexual deviance, rape as a crime is too prevalent. A lot of women of European decent are not going to India because the Indians get sexually crazed when they see a white woman, I hope it does not become our story. The Mighty Sparrow did not mean rape when he sang I never Eat a White Meat Yet, but it seems he was in fact talking of a bigger issue of the black man’s need to be satisfied by having a white woman, with or without consent. Use your comments to look at our country and introspect. Our Government wants to move every square inch of space into Tourism development, what happens when we invest all in Tourism and we have crime against the very tourist that are propping up our economy. By the way stop pretending that anyone cares about Tourist than locals because you all cared more about Butch Stewart that is why you voted for Allen

22. 5.20.100
    August 24, 2017 at 9:54 am

The comments here are just a typical reflection of our Saint Lucian society: “Rapes and incest don’t happen in Saint Lucia” and “It’s the women’s fault” and “They were looking for it.”
    Pure nonsense if you ask me. If her statement was just about money wouldn’t she have taken us to task while she was still in Saint Lucia?
    It is true that not all rape claims are true but if our initial reaction is to say that it’s a lie, where are we headed?

23. Kamizol
    August 24, 2017 at 10:00 am

Tourists are a target for the criminal elements in St Lucia. The minute they see the tourists they think: ching, ching! How can I get money or something from them? It is always the few bad apples spoiling everything for the rest.

August 24, 2017 at 11:25 am

Kamizol, you are so correct. Niggers killing our economy and tourism.

August 24, 2017 at 11:23 am

Why would a woman make up a story like this? She not in it for the money, She a doctor, you stupid chimps. Tourism will leave us and we’ll all be begging for a second chance from them whites! Don’t ruin a good thing tourism our life blood.

25. Amen
    August 24, 2017 at 11:32 am

Liar!

August 24, 2017 at 3:49 pm

These comments don’t show our country in a positive light….it sad really.

August 24, 2017 at 4:33 pm

I truly wish to make a second comment as rape has devastating effects on not only the victims but their families and on society. Some of the comments are so distasteful, repugnant and nauseating. This is the exact reason why many victims of rape prefer to suffer in silence throughout their lives. Instead of being comforted, they are viciously and relentlessly attacked and accused of lying and having ulterior motives. Your body is hour temple. For these women to have their temples desecrated, then to have to endure so much public shaming, it’s just very devastating. No wonder the rapists feel empowered and emboldened to perpetrate their dastardly acts on innocent women and children. We should pour our scorn where it is deserved, on the rapists.

Vibz

August 24, 2017 at 5:31 pm

What has the hospitality sector been doing to assist in criminal activity?..I can’t think of any besides just talking. Have they been assisting financially?

29. St. Lucian
    August 24, 2017 at 7:30 pm

We were all not there and further don’t have the information that the police were given by the lady. How then can we judge? We cannot judge her not on her gender or nationality for there are countless other foreign women and locals who have alleged rape and their cases are all cold cases.

What we should know is that as taxpayers we are entitled to the right of protection from the police and proper investigations if we have be wronged. The police on the other hand must demand immediate proper and functional support technological systems like fingerprint and forensics. Their performance will always be sub standard without that.

Some comments say that the woman made that all up. Well okay. The same way proper investigations and forensics can substantiate her claim is the same way such can show her claim to have been fabricated. So which ever way the police are struggling to either prove or disprove the allegations.

30. Mel
    August 28, 2017 at 10:41 am

Crime everywhere….even British gang rapers take their crime to other places. Don’t tear St Lucia apart as though Britain is so much greater,