BBC:-A five-year-old boy was shocked to discover a python inside his toilet when he lifted up the lid.
He was “frantic” when he found it in the bathroom at home in Southend, Essex, his mother Laura Cowell said.
Specialists from pet shop Scales and Fangs came to the rescue, removing the harmless 3ft (91cm) baby royal python.
“It smelt of bleach and a bit toilet-y,” Ethan Pinion from the store said. The snake “most likely came up the u-bend” and is expected to recover fully.
Mrs Cowell said the toilet had been “blocked for several days and the water wasn’t draining well”, but at the time, she did not know why.
Her son discovered the unwelcome visitor when he went to use the toilet on Wednesday.
“He was frantic, and shaking, and I could tell something was wrong, but that was not what I expected,” she said.
“I had to use a broom handle to lift the lid, then out popped its head and its tongue came out as well.”
After phoning several potential rescuers, Rob Yeldham, who owns the Leigh-on-Sea store, came to help.
“I’ve done many snake rescues in my 10 years, but I’ve never had one in a toilet before. It’s definitely a first for us,” he said.